Massive Chalice - review roundup

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!
A few more reviews for Massive Chalice, including its first rave, from Chaz Miller at Twinfinite. He gives the game a 5/5 and writes:

Where Massive Chalices's real scale hits the most is the age system. As makes sense, all of your heroes progressively grow older. They’re also mortal; whether it’s in the glory of battle, or merely wasting away on a throne, your heroes will die. If they’ve achieved enough, they may leave behind potent family relics that can be passed on to others of their house. Otherwise, their only legacy is the children they’ve left behind to carry on the family name.

Between the far-reaching scale, the slick and intuitive combat, and the fun of raising heroes through the years, Massive Chalice brings a whole lot to the table. ... Well-made, filled with life, and enjoyable in its many facets, this is one of those rare occasions where I’ll recommend a title without condition.
Matt Whittaker at HardcoreGamer gives a 4/5:

This isn’t going to be thought of as a title that can contend with XCOM on the back of its combat alone, but managing each hero’s genetic traits adds another level of depth to an already deep genre. One of the most challenging titles to come out in quite some time [...] pick all the nits you want, Massive Chalice is incredibly engaging and that’s truly what matters.
Andrei Dumitrescu at Softpedia gives an 8.5/10 and waxes philosophical thus:

Massive Chalice is a game in which loss and time destroy everything that the player builds, a commentary on the futility of our efforts to create order in a world where entropy will at one point dominate all existence.
Well that's a bummer. But then he goes on to say:

It is also a very enjoyable mix of turn-based tactics, resource management and character development that allows players to choose their own path as they try to defend a fantasy world over the course of three centuries.
I started a runthrough myself last night, and after quickly realizing that the no-reloads Iron Mode was going to be way too depressing I restarted and found it was quite a bit of fun.

massive-chalice-team-select.jpg

More information.

I put a couple hours into it last night and have quite enjoyed it, but the imbalance between melee and ranged is absurd. I just started running one melee to spot for an army of hunters and combat is incredibly easier. Even individual Bulwarks go down quickly due to the Follow Up ability landing both shots before the shield goes up. Wrinklers are a pain though, they tended to dodge most arrows leaving them alive to attack and put their negative effects on guys.

I was really happy to find out about the hybrid classes last night. I was sort of disappointed with just the basic 4 when I kicked the tires in Early Access. The mixing of class abilities into new classes has been pretty enjoyable.

the users scores are not so glowing….

Psh. The first twenty people to rush to Metacritic are maybe not the best barometer.

I put a couple hours into it last night and have quite enjoyed it, but the imbalance between melee and ranged is absurd. I just started running one melee to spot for an army of hunters and combat is incredibly easier. Even individual Bulwarks go down quickly due to the Follow Up ability landing both shots before the shield goes up. Wrinklers are a pain though, they tended to dodge most arrows leaving them alive to attack and put their negative effects on guys.

I was really happy to find out about the hybrid classes last night. I was sort of disappointed with just the basic 4 when I kicked the tires in Early Access. The mixing of class abilities into new classes has been pretty enjoyable.

I am not so sure if this is still true if you play on ironman. I find melee units extremely useful for their stun. Being able to stun a cradle or one of these teleporting guys extremely helpful.

If you can save/reload of course...then there is no need to play safe. You can basically run through and just shoot everything.

I am currently on the 8th mission on Brütal Ironman, and the fights are getting extremely tense.

I may as well be playing iron man as I haven't been using save scumming. I haven't hit the teleporting guys yet, though that could be a royal pain depending on the pull, though I tend to move forward very slowly and only when I know I can have my hunters cover any enemy that comes out of the fog.

Well I read more than the numbers; I look at why user reviews are negative and discount things like certain hardware makes the game crash. The text of the user reviews are really quite negative with regards to game play and 'complexity'. The two sources I tend to focus on are steam reviews (which includes play time) and then cross referenced with metacritic user reviews which can be quite bogus.

I'm skeptical about this one, I will wait a little bit more before buying it. Anyway, sooo many games still to play, I will add it to my backlog list ...

Back
Top Bottom