Pictures for use as wallpaper

Ubbax

Watchdog
I love to admire pictures of places around the world. I tend to collect them for use as wallpaper. My family and friends find that immensely amusing considering I travel a fair bit but seldom take pictures. In fact the only camera I own is a 35mm most people mistake for a collectors piece.

Yesterday a friend from downunder sent me an email with a link to this site with some gorgeous pictures of New Zealand. The Microsoft New Zealand Team apparently holds a running photo contest.

After loading a picture the site suggests:
Right click the picture and choose "Set as Background"
however if you do this each picture will overwrite the previous one.

Instead choose "Save picture as" to download it to a folder on your PC.
Then you can select whichever one you please for your desktop in the usual manner.

If anyone else knows of sites like this or has similar photos perhaps you could share them and post a link.

Ubbax
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away. - unknown

I often stumble upon pretty pictures, but usually they are too small to be used as wallpapers. And I need 1980x1200 sizes too, which is even harder to find.

But I'll keep my eyes open.

You could try my own opera community account. I'm offering sending pictures in greater resulutions to anyone who wants them.

I still hold the copyrights in my own pictures, though.

http://my.opera.com/akrproject/albums/

Other than that, I personally know several non-professional artists and photographs, who are sometimes willing to give pictures to me, if I ask politely.
Asking around within your friend circles might therefore be a solution.

Those are some beautiful pictures of New Zealand, one of the places I wish I could see in my lifetime but probably won't--except in photgraphs like these. Thanks for posting.

Here's what I think is an amateur or professional(can't tell--very good work either way)photographers site I have used for wallpaper in the past, some amazing images of storms on this page:

tinyvices.com which come originally from this site Extreme Instability.com.

(The last site offers various wallpapers and there's no indication anywhere on the first that there's any copyright problem downloading these.)

Last edited:
I often stumble upon pretty pictures, but usually they are too small to be used as wallpapers. And I need 1980x1200 sizes too, which is even harder to find.

But I'll keep my eyes open.

Try Here :idea:

@Alrik You've got some nice shots posted thanks for sharing. There are a few which I think could make nice wallpaper though I've not downloaded them.

I have friends scattered around the world, several in some unusual places; Brazilian Pantanal, Rio Gallegos in Patagonia, NW Liaoning Province, to name a few. Most of them send the odd picture if they feel it's unique enough.

@Magerette Thanks very much for the link to Extreme Instability. I used to have that bookmarked along with several other such sites but lost them 2 or 3 years ago in a harddrive crash.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I realize I could employ my google foo to look for wallpaper however it takes an immense amount of time to sort through it all. I just don't have the time for that. I'm happy to make little discoveries like the New Zealand link or being put back in touch with Extreme Instability.

Ubbax
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away. - unknown

@YellowWing
Until about an hour ago your link simply wouldn't load for me. Now that it has I can't thank you enough; some of the wallpaper is simply phenomenal. The resolutions most of it is available in is impressive as well.
This should keep me busy for some time :)

Ubbax
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. "
- George Bernard Shaw

@YellowWing
Until about an hour ago your link simply wouldn't load for me. Now that it has I can't thank you enough; some of the wallpaper is simply phenomenal. The resolutions most of it is available in is impressive as well.
This should keep me busy for some time :)

Ubbax
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. "
- George Bernard Shaw

"NP" Glade to Help a Family Member of RPGWatch ;)

Speaking of big pictures, check this out: PicLens.

It's a Firefox plugin that lets you view images on flickr etc. in fullscreen, a bit like in that Microsoft presentation where there's lots of images on a virtual wall that you can quickly move around, zoom in etc. Wonderful way of viewing galleries of images!

Beautiful pics, Arhu. That astrophotography site looks familiar, but if so I've long lost the link. Thanks for supplying it. :)

Back
Top Bottom