Divinity 2 - International previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Some international previews (read not in English) can be found at:
The French site JeuxVideo had this to say:
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis looks set to become a great RPG and we eagerly await the scheduled release date of Q2 2009 on PC and Xbox360.
The also French site Factornews mentioned this:
Though some of the movements weren't finished yet (the dragon moved his wings in a realistic way, but stayed in the center of the screen), the game already looks really cool. It's been years I haven't been able to play with a dragon, and Divinity 2 proposes us to be one ? I'm 200% up for that !
EuroGamer has it in Dutch, but it boils down to:
Larian Studios spiked our interest for this new installment in the Divinity series in such a way that we can't wait to get a new glimpse of Rivellon and its inhabitants
Thanks goes to Larian's own Lynn for providing the translations.
More information.

Diviner Divinity

Ego Draconis promises to be even more redundant the original. I hear the subtitle will be changed to Ego Draconis: The Dragon Myself

As if a good name actually guarantees a good game.

I've actually tried to talk friends into buying the original and they wouldn't touch it because of the name. A real shame. To be fair to them, I think they thought there would serious translation issues.

The Dragon Myself..heehee..or is it I, Dragon?

As you ask; here is the explanation:
People have wondered why it is exactly Divinity II goes by the name of Ego Draconis, so let me explain. "Ego" is Latin for "I" and "Draconis" is the genitive of "Draco" meaning "dragon". Why then, isn't the game simply called "Ego Draco"? Well actually, there is a very good reason, namely that "Ego Draconis" is a genitive of origin. This means that Divinity II isn't called "I, dragon", but "I of dragon", or more fluently translated, "I, descendant, scion, heir or successor of the dragon". Which of these possibilities comes closest to the meaning we want it to carry, or how it ties in with the story, is for you to find out when the game ships.

I've actually tried to talk friends into buying the original and they wouldn't touch it because of the name.
You need smarter friends ... :D

My *kids* have a good chuckle at the name, but already love the music and will be playing the game soon enough ...

What Myrtos just wrote just supports my opinion that you'll need at least some basic feeling / understanding of the Latin language.

Of course - bitterly said - you can't expect that from the majority of today's gamers.
They'd expect English-language titles instead. Like "Spellforce", for example.

With Archaeology, this was relatively clear from the moment on I read the title for the first time; thus I never understodd all of the remarks here about this being a rather "bad" title.

SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars is one of the worst names in the last few years. It doesn´t get more generic than that. Ego Draconis is at least original, even if it´s not ideal if a name needs explanations.

Honestly, what's all the fuss about names? It's hardly important at all...

I disagree. I personally couldn't give a stuff but I've seen many people who claimed they avoided DivDiv because of the stupid name and Rock, Paper, Shotgun recently wasted the opening text in their recent D2: ED piece joking about the silly names. Games are multi-million-dollar businesses - having mainstream sites throwing up name jokes instead of talking about the gameplay isn't good marketing.

*shrug* It isn't my money but if it was, I wouldn't allow that name.

Back
Top Bottom