CRPG Addict - Review Roundup (Part One)

It's on my playlist as well, but I'm a little hesitant because I'll have to use an Amiga emulator and never used one before.

I'll have to use the Amiga because of one simple reason and that's graphics. Now I can handle most any graphics, but CGA. I can't stand CGA. The difference between the Amiga version of Roadwar and the Dos (or even Commodore) is huge. Here are some shots from Mobygames.

Hehe CGA was awful, although I was still using a monochrome green monitor on my Apple at the time so it seemed pretty spiffy. :) My parents (I was 7 at the time) also had the local computer shop solder an RF modulator onto the motherboard so we could output to a TV for, IIRC, 4-bit color, but the white smeared so badly it wasn't generally that usable.

You are right, though, that Amiga version of Roadwar is stunning compared to my CGA recollections.

I've run into a slew of old games I want to replay and then I go to Moby and see the Amiga version is so much more lovely and then end up not playing them. (I can see why the Amiga had so many devotees, though!) Unfortunately, I have much less experience with Amiga emulation so I've never played a game more than a few minutes using Amiga emulation - I can't remember what troubles I had, but I had troubles.

Yeah, I remember playing some of the old sierra games on a monochrome monitor. I finally convinced my parents to buy a VGA monitor (which I think set them back about $500) when playing Hero's Quest, I got stuck and couldn't find the castle that is just up the road from the main town. On a monochrome screen, it was the same color as the surroundings, so it blended in!

Back
Top Bottom