Witcher 3 Complaints..had to be some.

The Witcher 3
I'm nearing 44 hours of gametime, and I've had exactly 4 crashes so far. On a 980 Gtx with the latest nVidia drivers. (windows always notifies that the video drivers failed, and needed to be reset, I'm not sure if that says anything relevant).
Yep, that's what appears in the Windows event log. It's the same cause, it simply happens a lot more frequently for me. Typically, it's the sort of thing that happens if a GPU overheats or it's swapping between the Intel power saving GPU and the regular one. The latter is definitely not the case for The Witcher 3 though, it generally only happens in games with low requirements.
Do you tend to play huge playsessions in one run, without restarting the game? Because I have a tendency to play about 2-3 hours, then leave the game, post on the forums, then get back into it. And I always close and restart the game. Maybe it hits some sort of an overflow and then it crashes.
Yes, I mainly play longer sessions. That could be a reason, though a reboot should clear all that. The only thing it won't clear is overheating, as it takes longer to cool down. It sounds a bit odd if it's an overheating issue, but I haven't ruled it out. If it is, then something's a bit off (for either CPD or NVidia).
Mine never crashes directly to desktop, it behaves like the computer just freezes, and I hit ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab a couple of times, and Windows seems to recover, and gives me the opportunity to stop the process from task manager.
I've had three different types:
- Regular CTD.
- Total freeze. Reboot required. Nothing responds.
- The one you mention.

The Windows event log is always the same though, telling me it's an NVidia driver issue.

Yes, I mainly play longer sessions. That could be a reason, though a reboot should clear all that. The only thing it won't clear is overheating, as it takes longer to cool down. It sounds a bit odd if it's an overheating issue, but I haven't ruled it out. If it is, then something's a bit off (for either CPD or NVidia).

I haven't checked the running temperature of the 980 in some time. When I did check it, it usually hanged at around 60-65 degrees Celsius, with the fan at 50% speed (it's quite loud). I'd hate it to be an overheating issue.

Because stuff is important in the game - and the concept of being a thief is ruined when you can just take it and people don't seem to mind.

I'm the sort of player who would actually stop taking things if the NPCs reacted and told me they couldn't make it without their possessions.

I don't see anything good from the game not reacting to it.

If you could win every fight by left-clicking on the enemy, I bet someone would argue "why don't you just NOT fight, then?"

Stupid argument, really.

Very well put Dart, agree 100%.

I reckon one could solve the problem, by just removing all the junk from villagers houses, which would also reduce the amount of boring lawn mowing you need to do in the game:

I'm hoping that with mod kit it might be quite easy to do this. I didn't look at the Witcher 2 mod kit, but it could be as easy (there is usually some snag that makes things trickier) as doing something like this pseudo code, when a map gets loaded:

for each place in CurrentArea.Places where place.desc is "town" or "village"
—-for each container in place.Containers
———for each item in container
————-if item.questFlag is false
——————item.removeItemFromContainer
————-end if
———end for
—-end for
end for

Perhaps one could also put in an option to scatter any items removed from containers with a value greater than some amount around the nearest treasure caches in the area - that would then make those, often lacklustre treasure caches, more interesting to find.

I'll probably have a go at this when the mod kit arrives, if someone else doesn't pick up on it.

I haven't checked the running temperature of the 980 in some time. When I did check it, it usually hanged at around 60-65 degrees Celsius, with the fan at 50% speed (it's quite loud). I'd hate it to be an overheating issue.

That is a perfectly reasonable temperature for a graphics card. In fact my MSI 970 is configured so it doesn't even switch it's fans on, until it gets around this temp. You only need to start worrying when it gets into the 80s and 90s. Make sure you check the CPU temp too (using something like realtemp) - that will definately cause throttling and crashes if it gets too toasty.

Last edited:
I'm nearing 44 hours of gametime, and I've had exactly 4 crashes so far. On a 980 Gtx with the latest nVidia drivers.
I believe I'm about the same hour mark, will check when I return home.

Someone said that alghoul wasn't added to their bestiary, that thing I've checked and in mine it's added. But then again, I'm reading every single book I stumble upon and sometimes they add new mobs in bestiary, so it's possible that in my case the book is the source of the entry and not the mob. Can't be sure now, sorry, on replay I could avoid reading books till the point of fighting the first alghoul but that replay, with a game of this size, won't be soon.

I've only had 2 crashes so far, and there was no freezing or error messages of any kind. It just suddenly went back to the desktop as if I had exited out of the game.

That's out of 59 hours according to Steam, although a significant portion of that time is from me leaving the game running while I was doing other things.

Believe it or not, I'm still only on level 9. :)
I'm on level 11. I like the slow leveling here.

As mentioned before about my system, it's:
- win 7 x64 professional
- i5 4670K
- GTX 760 gainward phantom with supercooling system, latest driver
- 16 gigs of RAM
- the game is installed on SSD
- the rig is inside Zalman's case equipped with 3 huge fans and I hear them running a bit faster than usual while playing TW3

I've had three different types:
- Regular CTD.
- Total freeze. Reboot required. Nothing responds.
- The one you mention.

The Windows event log is always the same though, telling me it's an NVidia driver issue.
I didn't have any single crash, freeze or lockup.
I use settings from nvidia experience, means hairworks in my case is off. I know JDR turned it on for Geralt. Maybe it's not the reason for crash, maybe some other visual setting we have set differently is.
Game sessions on my side were 8+ hours.

Finally, my game is on GOG (and Galaxy), not on Steam. Maybe it's Steam overlay that causes crashes? Wouldn't be the first game where it happens.

Another possibility is that you have some system process, scheduled task, anti virus or whatever that is interfereing with Witcher 3. Apple sync stuff is sometimes a problem for me ITR.

It's possible, yes.

Okay, my AV that's always running in the background is Avira, and my iphone's iTunes is always turned off unless I plug the phone in USB which autostarts iTunes automatically.
Means if someone with crashes uses Avira, it's not the cause. iTunes could be though.

Other background processes on my side are just the windows usual stuff, everything 3rd party that lurks in the background by default I've set not to start when I log in. Except Origin client. Kinda got used to that malware. :D

Another Nvdia user here and no crashes so far (GoG Galaxy version), played with Hairwork on for about half of my ~30 hours, everything on ultra (motion blur, depth of fields are off though I'm not a fan and grass is at medium because I don't like having too much of it).

Aren't we all playing with consolecrap motion blur and DoF disabled? :D

Another Nvdia user here and no crashes so far (GoG Galaxy version), played with Hairwork on for about half of my ~30 hours, everything on ultra (motion blur, depth of fields are off though I'm not a fan and grass is at medium because I don't like having too much of it).

Nvidia 770 (temps around 75C) user with High setting and Hairwork on Gerelt only and no crashes so far in 30+ hours.

How much free system memory do you have available? I was getting crashes until I realized I had a virtual RAM partition taking up 2GB and leaving only about 4.8GB free (out of 8GB total) This baby needs a full 6GB free. No more crashes after correcting that.

Hahaha, that's hilarious because it's true.

I'm sure it really happened like this.

That thing is probably my main complain about the game really.

Someone please repost this on CDprojekt official forum in some feedback thread.
I'm not registered there, but it should be corrected/redesigned in a way extinguish always has the lowest priority when overlapping with containers, fasttravel points, chatty or other useable stuff.

Someone please repost this on CDprojekt official forum in some feedback thread.
I'm not registered there, but it should be corrected/redesigned in a way extinguish always has the lowest priority when overlapping with containers, fasttravel points, chatty or other useable stuff.

You can reassign the key(s), Reddit has a few suggestion (that's where I took the image).

azarhal, but the comic strip is displaying A, B, X consoles crapware. You cannot fix it on consoles.
Not that I'm complaining… :evilgrin:

UI complaint-copied from reddit, user Zantasu:

It's quite easy to design a UI that works for both K/M and Controller, in fact input has very little to do with it outside of keybind limitations.

Most notable is the limitation to equipping only two food/potions, and two bombs, yet they give us dozens of each, that can be changed during combat.

If they can safely be changed during combat, why limit us at all? And for that matter, why force the player to go into the menu every time they need to change something, or charges run out? The radial menu could easily be expanded to include all potions, decoctions, bombs and even food items if need be. Hell you could even make it customizable like so many games before you so that the menu only displayed the items you wanted it to.

The UI is garbage plain and simple. There are literally dozens of features that have zero bearing on input which are simply missing from the game, and are standard in almost every other RPG ever made. Notable examples include: * Lack of sorting * Lack of menu "memory" (remembering which menus are collapsed/expanded) * Buy-back menu (wouldn't be a problem if items didn't cost 10x what they sold for). * Multiple quest tracking/more markers on the map * Terrible "targeting" in world. Can't talk to the merchant in front of you but can like and extinguish the candle 6 feet away. * Terrible control scheme. Go into combat while trying to loot -> roll off a building to your death. * Terrible collision controls. Go ahead Roach, get stuck on everything. Every twig, branch or gopher hole will stop you from galloping.

Even things like the Character info tab, which puts a convenient star next to new entries. Unfortunately the menu forces you to scroll down individually so you can't actually see which ones are starred unless they are on the first "page", as once your cursor hits it, the star disappears.

Don't get me wrong. It's an awesome game, the story is neat, the quests are fun, the dialogue is top notch, the environment is stunning and the combat is able to be both fun and brutally unforgiving. Unfortunately, the design team nailed the most difficult aspects of game design while simultaneously failing miserably at the most basic ones.

UI complaint-copied from reddit, user Zantasu:

It's quite easy to design a UI that works for both K/M and Controller, in fact input has very little to do with it outside of keybind limitations.
I dunno if I'm to laugh like madman or to cry like I lost the whole family.

UI that works on anything is one thing, UI that is in Divinity Original Sin is another thing.
One is restricted by crapware limitations, another is a masterpiece.

PC audience on a machine that knows no limits expects an UI masterpiece, not rolling, scrolling, rotating, lack of pointerhover tooltips and similar design crimes.

I want a loot all, harvest all mod :) Instead of clicking E 27 times in a room, just press once and everything gets looted. Of course I'd prefer if you had options so that you don't pick up junk if you didn't want it.

Back
Top Bottom