King's Bounty: The Legend Thread

Bit of a necro, but I did an impulse buy yesterday, so I'm in the game. I tinkered with the demo a tiny bit last week, but this purchase is nearly sight-unseen and very much word-o-mouth. If it sucks, there's a few of yous here gonna have some splainin ta do. ;)

Bit of a necro, but I did an impulse buy yesterday, so I'm in the game. I tinkered with the demo a tiny bit last week, but this purchase is nearly sight-unseen and very much word-o-mouth. If it sucks, there's a few of yous here gonna have some splainin ta do. ;)

We won't be seeing much of you over the next week or so... :)

Fist Add-on called "Armored Princess" will be out in Russia on 10 April.

i think it will be my next "impulse buy" ;)

I also just scored the game today since Gamersgate has that lovely weekend deal going where it is only $10. Only trouble, by the time I get ahold of a PC late'ish this year that can run the game(I hope) I suspect the expansion will be out.

Such a backlog...

I also grabbed it for $10 ... even though I own it on DVD. Sometimes the ability to play no DVD is worth a few bucks.

Buy plenty of Polar Bears. They're slow and hard to get into battle, but you'll be grinning from ear to ear when they are up in the face of opposing spellcasters.

I dunno - I tried to stock up on archers and the other ranged attackers a lot and it turned out not be that bad of a tactic if I might call it that.

I'm considering a restart because I'm not really doing anything with my paladin's spells anyway. Get a warrior and enjoy the leadership bonus, me thinks. I'm playing on easy (I usually do on my first run thru non-RPGs) so perhaps that's skewing my experience, but I'm able to buy everything my leadership will allow. I'm picking up priests and archers first, though. Strategy-wise, I'm playing this very similar to HoMM, which is usually range-heavy for me. So far, the royal snakes I picked up at the menagerie are my best buttkickers. Fast, big, and pack a punch.

I would highly recommend playing on normal difficulty. I'm certainly no expert at TB strategy games myself, and normal felt perfect during my first playthrough.

I might go ahead and step up if I go thru with my restart. Between the commonality with HoMM and time I've already put in, I don't know that my usual "learn it on easy" approach is going to be necessary.

Make sure you max out the "Scouting" Mind skill early on. That one is a necessity, especially for a first time playthrough. " Reserve" is another one that is very useful.

You might stick with your pally, dte. I know you like the musclebound neaderthal killing machine approach, but you can enjoy the best of both worlds with that build.

Normal is all I played on first time through. I never maxed scouting, but you definitely need at least one or two points there to size up the oppostion, and as JDR says, reserve is one of the best skills in the game to keep you from chasing back four maps to that one recruiter that has your unit of choice. Magicwise if you keep your paladin, the resurrection spell is very handy as well.

Enjoy. :)

Well, restarted with my GamersGate download ... already not regretting the $10 spent. Glad I kept my saves when I installed the DVD version, could fiddle around at various point, but will restart again soon.

Well, maybe the game would be nice for my liking, IF IT WASN'T FOR CLUTTER OF FANCY 3-D GRAPHICS!
Man, I'm so sick of these designers' show-offs getiing under feet in modern CPRG's - all these camera turns, complex animations, zooms - who the hell needs all this in a freaking TACTICAL RPG??!

Why can't nobody make a decent RPG with a 'Harbinger' sort of graphics - crisp, concize, uncluttered, and fast! WHY oh WHY??!!

Yes, there's a lot of eye candy, but I thought as far as playability it was way better than the awful camera in HOMMV that took about an hour to get used to and still you couldn't see what you needed to see. That really frustrated me. KB played fast and fine on my older machine though.

Clutter? All the little details in King's Bounty are part of what makes the game so great imo.

I completely agree. It's one of those games where you can tell that the designers/programmers love what they are doing, and it shows in all the nice 'small' touches the game has.

Clutter? All the little details in King's Bounty are part of what makes the game so great imo.
Yes, the title screen looks pretty awesome, with all its hand-drawn little details.
;)
I'm sure the in-game details would also look great, were they hand-crafted (not modelled) as it was in the days of old.

What makes a tactical RPG so great? The gameplay. Plus, a little artsy details. Not too much, tho.

Back
Top Bottom