Risen - Patch 1.10 Released

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes released patch 1.10 for their action-RPG Risen. It's currently only for the retail version. Download providers should release their own patches soon.
The fix list:
  • Placement of various objects in the world revised
  • Collision revised: player could previously get stuck in certain locations
  • Problem with Brogar Arena quest resolved: this quest was only offered twice in certain circumstances
  • Problem with the camera and the interface after loading a saved game resolved
  • Various locations revised where the player was teleported to the first floor upon entering a building
  • The hunters are to hunt again: problem with a dialog option that immediately ended this quest resolved
  • Problem with the trigger for the final battle resolved
  • Golden sword for the Don: this sword could be duplicated by stealing
  • Problem with signpost lighting resolved
  • Position of various quest goals revised and improved
  • Problem of the player not receiving the bastard sword after delivering the materials for it resolved
  • Interaction with benches, chairs, etc. revised
  • Various dialog options revised
  • various error corrections made in game texts and language files
You can find the download for example on World of Risen.
More information.

Oh? I thought Risen was polished pretty well, but I guess I'll download this just for the sake of it, in case of replaying.

Also: "Placement of various objects in the world revised" - objects, as in collectible things, or rather benches, tables, etc., I wonder?

I never knew there were even this many issues with the game. The only bug I encountered from the list was the one where you get teleported to the floor above moving through certain doorways. Risen is probably the most bug-free RPG I've played in a long long time.

The only bug I encountered from the list was the one where you get teleported to the floor above moving through certain doorways.
I know a lot of people experienced this bug, and yet somehow I was spared even this one, lucky me.
TheMadGamer said:
Risen is probably the most bug-free RPG I've played in a long long time.
Word. PB learned this lesson well. Let's hope it remains that way in their future games.

A bit late, but none of those bugs are major so no need to try it out again for that.

I'm impressed by those german RPG developers (Piranha Bytes, Radon Labs,...), they seem to know how to develop bugfree code or they have excellent alpha testing teams. :)

I was impressed by how few bugs there were upon release, but I'm a bit disappointed in how long PB took to get this patch out. Those don't seem like the kind of bugs that take 5 months to fix.

Folks, is there any chance that someone who didn't like the Gothic series would like Risen? Here's the main things I didn't like about Gothic and can you tell me if any/all of these are addressed:

1: You couldn't choose your character. You only got Mr. Noname. No race, sex, graphical representation, nothing to make him "yours".

2: Magic use can't be chosen at the start of the game. You're forced to be melee and/or ranged for a good portion of the game. I roleplay magic users in crpgs.

3: Melee combat depended on personal skill with a keyboard or mouse, not with your brain.

Not sure what you mean by "addressed", because most of us don't see those things as problems. Anyways…

1. It's the same way in Risen.

2. Again, the same.

3. I'd say you need to utilize both.

You did read my review ...right!! :)

Nothing for the large fonts problem!? How about tweaking requirements for the final circle of mage powers so they can be used a bit?

I guess these were just the bugs they found while working on the console version. They figured they might as well toss them out for the PC, too. Better late than never, I guess, but I'm betting the vast majority of PC gamers have been finished with this game for a long time now.

Thanks, JDR. I assumed the game was still a no-buy for me but was just checking. When it drops down to nearly free, I'll pick it up. That's what I did with the Gothic series after the first one.

Pretty bug-free game, but I'd still say they took way too long getting certain issues fixed, all the same.

Hmm. So they did take efforts to revise "interaction with chairs" and other fluff but couldn't fix the dexterity progression bug? (due to which reloading speed of bows / crossbows doesn't improve AT ALL until you max out dexterity)

Let go of your inner mage, and give Risen a chance. ;)

I've tried so many times to do this, JDR, but it never works for me. I've purchased every Gothic but haven't got very far at all in any but the 3rd one. The third game kept me occupied until I traveled to a desert area, where I lost interest. One of the companions was there, I think as a captive and that's where I got bored and quit. Probably got my money's worth out of 3, but definitely not 1 or 2. I'll still buy Risen some day. It gets cheap every once in a while. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to the pricewatch thread.

I've tried so many times to do this, JDR, but it never works for me. I've purchased every Gothic but haven't got very far at all in any but the 3rd one. The third game kept me occupied until I traveled to a desert area, where I lost interest. One of the companions was there, I think as a captive and that's where I got bored and quit. Probably got my money's worth out of 3, but definitely not 1 or 2. I'll still buy Risen some day. It gets cheap every once in a while. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to the pricewatch thread.

I had just the opposite experience personally. I couldn't put 1 & 2 down until I finished them, but couldn't really get into 3.
I really love Risen though.

I think the patch is a little thin for the long time it took.

I somewhat enjoyed Gothic 2, didn't play 1, and disliked 3. I enjoyed Risen quite a bit better than Gothic 2.

Love the Gothic series, my all-time favorites. Night of The Raven was quite good, too.

Back
Top Bottom