Questions on three RPG games

Divine Divinity:never played beyond the first dungeon.It reminded me too much of diablo.

I fear that too many did so, and that this first dungeon was an unfortunate decision.

The game lights up only AFTER that.

And I admit that there is much, much fighting, almost too much for my taste, but on the other hand it's a world worth exploring ... although with many fights in the wilderness again ...

What I found totally fantastic then was the possibility to make honey and do alchemy.

Arpyjee, I apologize to have qualify your play of DivDiv of an idiot play and have suspected you to be a liar.

Early on, there wasn't alot of forced combat, but when you went underground and clicked away at hundreds of skeletons and later just outside the town gates (to the west and south) at hundreds of orcs, yeah it was a TOTAL clickfest as far as combat went. It was a very good game other than that though...

I am stunned by your description of the game, 47 words to explain a clickfest thing versus 10 words for the rest of the game, and what words "It was a very good game other than that though", very very vague.

Cough cough, very fair! Do you really think you gave a little idea of what the game is really? I'm very surprised for someone who played it fully 2 times (I did only one with a mage) that the description of the game ends to be so simple and negative.

Also those that compared DivDiv to Diablo makes me wonder if we played the same game. One last quote is that :
- I played a mage, perhaps it's a bit different than playing a warrior.
- I agree dungeon are a lot too big, particularly if you insist to explore them fully. The game isn't only that and don't feel forced to explore them fully.
- Combat clickfest is something I don't understand very well. Yes Gothic series is combat clickfest, as is Underworld series and so on. So yes if you just want watch the game and don't want do the fighting but let the computer do it for you then go away, don't play the Ultima Underworld series, nor the Gothic series or DivDiv.
- This game has much much more you couldn't find in any Diablo. Many NPC interaction, free world discovering, items interaction and a lot of thing to do around this, a lot of puzzling, many little events making the world live, much more story, many quests (not all nor the majority) that aren't just go explore this dungeon and find this or kill this.

Last edited:
Compareing DD to Diablo isn't odd at all. The combat in DD plays pretty much like Diablo, only that there's different skills in DD (and better monsters in Diablo IMO). And you DO spend a lot of time fighting in DD (at least I did), so the games does have a lot in common. However, as you point out, the difference is that DD has more than fighting to offer, unlike Diablo.

Übereil

Yes and System Shock is a clicking feast like Doom, and combat style in same style but less good from far and SS monsters are quite pathetic in comparison to those in Doom that will ice your blood. Ho yeah and SS has much more too offer... garps!

I've played neither Doom nor System Shock so I can't say how accurate that description is. I HAVE played Diablo 2 and Divine Divinity however, and fightingwise they play pretty much the same. The difference between the games is that DD isn't linear (you can explore in all kinds of directions, in Diablo you just follow a path), DD has a story (well, so does Diablo, but who cares about it, really?) and DD has quests that involves acuall thinking. But you DO spend a lot of time fighting in DD, and the fighting plays pretty much like Diablo, so compareing the two isn't way off chart.

Übereil

Just looking at the combat, DD=Diablo... a totally repetitive, twitchy clickfest, with waves of enemies.

But the DD experience goes way beyond it's combat (as I've stated several times). It has "infinitely superior" (to quote myself) dialogue, NPC diversity & depth, and PC-NPC interaction. It also looks more beautifully artistic imo.

But for many, and I'm not the only one, the combat style is a stain on the bedsheet, so to speak.

Well you could quote yourself only the "infinitely superior" but not "infinitely superior dialogue, NPC diversity & depth, and PC-NPC interaction. It also looks more beautifully artistic imo.". That makes ALL a difference.

And you forget in your list nice puzzling and many interesting objects interaction.

<<But for many, and I'm not the only one, the combat style is a stain on the bedsheet, so to speak.>>

Lol so Avernum is a total crap we agree on this! :p

Back
Top Bottom