OnLive: Thin client gaming

As I have said in many other threads..... only a matter of time. If not OnLive another service.

Idea is good. All gaming will be like this, far enough to the future- you pay for the connection to a gaming rig that can handle the super advanced game of the time. Rich people or people who save will still own. Everyone else will rent time.

I don't know, games seem to cover the whole spectrum. I've played games on my home PC but I've also played via old VT100 terminals, or BBS boards, or even web based games. MMOs seem to hang out between the two with a some of the smarts on the client side and some on the server.

This thing sure has me curious, though. Particularly since I'll likely be wanting to buy a new PC in a few months.

Is that REALLY a surprise?

Not to me, but I am surprised at how hard they are trying to push this.
Did Crysis really work well when the developers tested it?

The benefits are obvious… it is the dream of a lot of game companies to eliminate piracy…….. on the other hand I am beginning to wounder if we'll not see pOnLive.. it is acctually not impossible… if someone would leak/hack onLive to get the game executables from there… they could make a local on live for your PC or even a pirate service where you could play the games.

Another problem is how they are going to charge? it doesn't make sense to charge per game…. since that would lead to losses for them…. if they charge for gaming time… that might have really weird consequences like people playing a certain kind of game much shorter… or even not really give it a chance if they don't like the first hour. If you buy a game ussually you'll give it a fair chance since you already bought it…. that might lead to improved games though. Another big plus which he doesn't list is it would save years for the PC developers since they don't have to test for zillions of systems just on OnLive… so if this works it is a true dream for PC developers…. and a nightmare for MS and Sony…..

Of course I don't think Nintendo will need to worry at all... they're obviously not going to make this work for WII games.....

I think the problem is the type of games they are using to show. The system should work well with most single player games, and non-super-twitchy games like shooters. I think most single player games, and in the multiplayer side, games that are "turn based under the hood" like most MMORPGs or not-so-twitchy games like sports, should work fine.

I am not buying from EA.. and now I am not buying from UBI.. not so many new games left for me to play :p

Not that I am missing anything as EA and UBI just makes crap anyway.

Acctually I am VERY accepting in terms of copy protection, but this is just plain out sick... especially about LOSING your performance if your internet connection goes down!!!!

Meanwhile visiting this web site, NOD32 notices a .JAR Trojan there, adress is :
http://asderweq.net/dede/gsb50.jar , called an "OSX/Exploit.Smid.B. Trojan"

Besides this, what seriously worries me that this copy protection will be implemented in the Settlers 7, too.

UBI should better expect a massive collective outcry from Germany, where the Settlers are still *very* popular !

Okay, thanks, but I didn't know that. How could I ?

If you're playing via OnLive then of course you are going to be kicked out of the game if you drop connection...? Not sure why that article is in this topic?

C&C seems to have a similar thing like this new UbiSoft DRM ?
Permanent online connection needed ...

If you folks could kindly shut up about Ubisoft and stick to the topic....

OnLive has announced that it will be opening it's virtual doors in mid June. Price is $15/month (less if you get buy multiple months at once). You'll need to pay for games but the game prices haven't been released yet. 1040p won't be out until January.

If you folks could kindly shut up about Ubisoft and stick to the topic….
All those posts and you STILL haven't learned ... ? ;)

OnLive has announced that it will be opening it's virtual doors in mid June. Price is $15/month (less if you get buy multiple months at once). You'll need to pay for games but the game prices haven't been released yet. 1040p won't be out until January.

I saw that as well - to me it looks like you are:
- paying $180 a year for the equivalent of XBOX Live (which costs ~$50)
- still have to pay for games ("competitive" means "same" to me ... i.e. $50-60)
- do not 'own' games, as they will go 'poof' when you unsubscribe.

In other words, you have to buy games and still pay a maintenance fee to keep access ... talk about the WORST of both worlds!

Back
Top Bottom