They say that ...

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
…. the class balancing in Warhammer Online war terrible.

Since I've never played it, I'd like to know why and how it was and how it came to be so.

Because it seems that some of those devs are now responsible for class balancing in SWTOR.

Any serious input is welcome.

Google gives a lot of hits, but I'd like to read it first hand from RPGWatch forum members.

Thanks
Alrik

No-one ?

Who's "They"? Do you mean Fluent&Potato? If so, I wouldn't trust them, as far as I could throw them. :p
Sorry, Alrik, my experience with MMO's lasted an hour of trial run of playing WoW, distracted while some very horny teenagers tried hitting on me, because I had a female nickname. Very traumatizing experience. A bit unrelated, but I hope it helps. :)

I've never played an MMO that wasn't called terrible in terms of balance - at all times.

In a world where there are more losers than winners, the majority will always consider these games imbalanced.

As for my own personal opinion, there are too many factors in a traditional MMO to ever have a balanced set of classes. That's a good thing, because perfect balance requires incredibly rigid structures and that's boring.

I do remember a few cases of what I would consider extreme imbalance, one of which was the fire mage dude that I played near launch. I had a lot of fun one-shotting people all over the place, without really being very good.

But that's extremely common upon launch with any MMO.

In a world where there are more losers than winners, the majority will always consider these games imbalanced.

As for my own personal opinion, there are too many factors in a traditional MMO to ever have a balanced set of classes. That's a good thing, because perfect balance requires incredibly rigid structures and that's boring.

Very insightful.

I do witness the difficulties of balancing right through the SWTOR forums.

Right now, there are a few considerd "extraordinarily good", if not outright "overpowered", and that is in PvE and in PvP.

And, of course, the matter is even more complex than that.

Like for example currently a few FOTM ("flavour of the month") classes dominating everything, and the point I wonder about is : Which created them ?

Is it sheer imbaness, or is it simply communitry belief which makes people choose several classes over others ?

Is it sheer imbaness, or is it that some classes are so easy to play that even a dopey is able to produce more with it than a better player with a class which is far more difficult to play ? (Skill requirement -> Effect ?)

I hoped that someone with more experience with MMOs couzld tell me more about Warhammer Online.

Right now, there are a few considerd "extraordinarily good", if not outright "overpowered", and that is in PvE

A few? Only the Sentinel and Marauder sucks in PvE, everyone else has a way too easy time destroying everything solo (I just played all the classes and AC in the last couple of months, half-way through the last one right now).

... every story has a beginning and an end. That might be true in most cases. Sometimes, however, ...

(That was an Alrik-esque off-topic post in an Alrik thread, what are the odds!)

LOL ! :lol:

Good old times. :D Yes. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom