Rebel Galaxy - Review @ Game Tabloid

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Jeff Sproul from Game Tabloid, must have been very happy to review Rebel Galaxy as he awarded it a solid 10.

All in all, this is a fantastically developed game. I literally can’t find anything lacking. Some might feel that the game is made for a more casual space sim crowd, but I don’t feel it has lessened the game in any way. There is perfect blend of simplicity, features, and gameplay, and Rebel Galaxy pulls this off better than any I’ve seen. It’s full of content, looks great, and plays even better. The controls are very smooth, though I certainly felt it was best enjoyed with a controller (though this is not necessary). So if you’re a fan of space sims or space arcade games, this is certainly worth a purchase as well. Speaking of which, the game will release on Steam October 20th at the the extremely more than reasonable $20. In fact, the game is a steal at this price and I was honestly quite shocked to find out it would be launching at such a low cost. It has higher quality and more content than most games price $50-$60, but Double Damage has decided to make an amazing game and put it at an amazing price. What more could you ask for?
Thanks Eye.

More information.

Well, a lot of people were very excited about Torchlight 2 as well - but now it seems all but forgotten.

I'll be checking this out, but I have a feeling the initial excitement will wear off sooner rather than later.

WOW a ten ? Need to take a closer look at the game, i remember i had a lot of fun with Freelancer, hope it is similar

TL2 was a game you play once and forget. It was nowhere close to D2, GD or POE.

I read this review in more details and his 10 is hilarious. These are kind of 10 that people gave to Dragon Age 2 and 3 by ignoring the bad sides. Game has no Z axis and it is just random sandbox casual shootem up experience with some faction missions and some "story" that is fed to you in breadcrumbs. It costs 20$ because you will get bored of it in 20h. Also you seem to only have that one ship that you get to upgrade - seems I was wrong about this, you can get more ships but they all seem to be capital ship size. But you never get to fly another one.

He is really fascinated by good graphics and good VO so that tells you all about this reviewer and where his priorities lie LOL

Last edited:
Why are there space sims everywhere these days?

Although, having fast-read that review, the term "good mix of simplicity" and "if you like space arcade" makes me wonder how deep this is exactly.

I read this review in more details and his 10 is hilarious. These are kind of 10 that people gave to Dragon Age 2 and 3 by ignoring the bad sides. Game has no Z axis and it is just random sandbox casual shootem up experience with some faction missions and some "story" that is fed to you in breadcrumbs. It costs 20$ because you will get bored of it in 20h. Also you seem to only have that one ship that you get to upgrade - seems I was wrong about this, you can get more ships but they all seem to be capital ship size. But you never get to fly another one.

He is really fascinated by good graphics and good VO so that tells you all about this reviewer and where his priorities lie LOL
I'm on the look out for other reviews about this game. This is just the first to appear - I hope. :)

Today a Spanish review appeared at Review On The Bit.
Here it is with Google translation - I can't read that one myself, for some strange reason pages look XXL after going through Google translation on my iPad, both in Safari as well as Opera.

I have also found a 15 minute review video from AngryCentaurGaming Buy, wait for a sale, rent, or never touch it.

Last edited:
Yea I would also like to see a review from some more hardcore people that will tell me how much customization the game has and how difficult it is. What is RPG about this game anyways?

Yea I would also like to see a review from some more hardcore people that will tell me how much customization the game has and how difficult it is. What is RPG about this game anyways?
I understand your wishes perfectly. And I'd like to use them to pick on to something practical.

Please, do not expect me to read every article to see wether a (p)reviewer or interviewer knows what s/he's talking about.
I can't even garantee I'll only provide links to articles that make any sense. :)
If I did I would not have time left to search for news.

This is your job. :) You decide! You decide whether an article is delicious or a joke. (And we'll all have a laugh if that's the case.)

About the RPG level of this game… Dunno. It is in the database. I remember HiddenX once started a huge thread about how to define/classify an RPG. Beautiful. But again, I have no time to analyze games. Feel free to do so, be my guest. :)

To tell you the truth I am focussing on headlines while searching. As soon as I have found an article I'll quickly scan the text looking for conclusions in order to find a short quote for the tweets I have recently started to promote RPGWatch. If I can not find a oneliner fast enough, I simple retweet. I have no time to assess whether the reasoning behind the conclusions is logical or not.

I am glad HiddenX and Myrthos are always there to double check before my news is being posted here on RPGWatch.
But I know that all news editors are doing this in their free time. We all have other things that need our attention. So there is always a chance of a newsbit being published without someone having read the entire text of the article with a 100% concentration.

When I stumble on a new game, i.e. a game not known to me, I check our database first.
If it isn't in our database, I'll read the description provided by the devs. If the dev's description says 'RPG' it does not mean the game is an RPG to our standards, of course. Our standards meaning the requirements and needs of the people of the Watch.
But I am triggered.

So if something turns out to be no RPG, please tell me and I'll delete it from my own search list (can't speak for others). I won't get angry, no, I'll be glad, it'll save me some time in future. :)

Thanks, Archangel, for giving me this opportunity to explain how I work.

Uff, I wasn't criticizing you. Sorry if your felt that way.

I was more talking in general because I am interested in this game and hope to find out more than that pretty short review.

I just replayed Torchlight 2 earlier this year when they (finally) released the Mac version, and it remains an absolute classic 'casual fun' RPG-lite experience IMO. Given that I expect about the same here, I am intrigued and will grab it next week.

Uff, I wasn't criticizing you. Sorry if your felt that way.

I was more talking in general because I am interested in this game and hope to find out more than that pretty short review.

I understand - I understood.

You were just critising the review, you thought it "hilarious" - it, not me. :)

Generally speaking:
Could well be, a review is no good, I hardly read the text. A video might be unsatisfactory too.

Imho: if an article or video sucks, the debate here about the game can be informative.

I just replayed Torchlight 2 earlier this year when they (finally) released the Mac version, and it remains an absolute classic 'casual fun' RPG-lite experience IMO. Given that I expect about the same here, I am intrigued and will grab it next week.
So we can expect a review that makes sense within two weeks? ;)

I understand - I understood.

You were just critising the review, you thought it "hilarious" - it, not me. :)

Generally speaking:
Could well be, a review is no good, I hardly read the text. A video might be unsatisfactory too.

Imho: if an article or video sucks, the debate here about the game can be informative.
I think you are awesome! Helping bring news to all of us!

Back
Top Bottom