Geneforge 5 - Review @ Macworld

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Macworld has a review of Geneforge for the Mac, although the reviewer clearly approaches the article from the mainstream as an inexperienced RPG player. There are some minor factual errors, the game is compared to Diablo because they both have classes and loot and the graphics and complexity are criticised. The score is 3/5 and here's a snip:
I’m new to the Geneforge series, and the story and gameplay took a while for me to get into, as my character kept on going in an out of amnesia and my guide didn’t speak in complete sentences (which was intended to convey she too was just waking up from control by the Shapers). There are multiple paths, sects, and ways to solve a problem and the lack of a linear plot may turn off some players. Simply, there are so many plots, subplots, and characters to keep track of that only dedicated RPG fans won’t be turned off. While the lack of graphical sophistication lends the game to an old school feel, the monotonous environments and unidentifiable characters make it hard to feel attachment to the world. There is plenty of text to get through to get the full experience, so the game feels sluggish coming out of the gates, but rewards players who stick with it.
More information.

To be fair at least he's talking about the game and explaining it. I don't think the review is targeted at the audience that the game was made for so it effects the score. I'm sure it'll score higher here.

Why don't these places hire reviewers who know and enjoy their genres!!

Why don't these places hire reviewers who know and enjoy their genres!!

Because print-centric places are having to pare back significantly and therefore game reviewers review everything from Teletubbies Teach Typing to Zombie Massacre Sex Party IV.

Zombie Massacre Sex Party IV - is that any good? Sounds good!

Nah, they never captured the quality of the second one. I wouldn't bother with number 4.

Oh the shame, anyway, Geneforge 5 looks good to me though I've not played one before. I may divulge in this game.

You are lucky if you haven't played one before, means this one will seem new.

Oh the shame, anyway, Geneforge 5 looks good to me though I've not played one before. I may divulge in this game.

I think that playing the latest is always the best choice. There is no iterative nature to the stories, you can play them in any order. I started at Avernum 4, myself ...

Back
Top Bottom