Turn Based RPG

insurancegod

Watcher
Can anybody tell me what a good turn based (fighting system) rpg to check into would be?

Thanks in advance!

I found the Realms of Arkania games (3 in particular) to have a solid fighting system, and the games were really good in general. Not incredibly combat heavy though.

Other games worth checking out:
Fallout 1-2
Ultima 4-5
Dungeons of dredmor
Betrayal at Krondor
Geneforge
Temple of elemental evil
Arcanum (although its combat system is not all that good)

Also, if you want a good TBS/CRPG hybrid, then King's Bounty is worth checking out (the recent remake is really good)

And the soon to be released Frayed Knights!! :)

Well, there's Wiz8. Or you could try Wiz8. Perhaps Wiz8? ;)

I can't believe no one recommended Wizardry 8!

Another vote for Wizardry 8 + Temple of Elemental Evil. Just be aware that both are extremely combat heavy games. You also need at least a basic understanding of D&D 3.5 rules to enjoy ToEE.

Aren't all the Spiderweb games TB too?

Aren't all the Spiderweb games TB too?

But not particularly great for the TB combat system itself I would say. If the TB combat is the central point of interest, I would recommend Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice. Straying into Hybrid Territory: Kings Bounty, and Jagged Alliance.

The game itself might be pretty sucky, but PoR: Myth Drannor is ok as a turn-based combat simulator.

If the actual combat is the most important part, then beyond those mentioned already - I can recommend Silent Storm as well.

The NLT (Northland Trilogy)

If you have consoles, try Ogre Tactics: Let us cling togheter. It is probably my favorite turn-based combat game. It is really very good. Not without flaws of course. It is on psp and playstation and snes. you can also play it legally on PC if you find a playstation copy, and than use an emulator with emulated PS bios.

If you have consoles, try Ogre Tactics: Let us cling together.
Other games to consider along the line of Ogre Tactics are:
Fire Emblem (series, one of my favourites among these games)
Final fantasy tactics
Grotesque tactics (PC SRPG)

Final fantasy tactics

Now available in a way-expensive craptastic port for the iPhone/iPod Touch (i.e. not iPad). $16 for something that looks worse than the 4-year old PSP port with worse controls ... um, no thanks!

The Goldbox AD&D games feature some of the best turn based combat I've ever played and just have to be mentioned...(apologies if you've already played them!)

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Champions of Krynn
Deathknights of Krynn

If graphics are a problem for you, try the more modern engine with:

Dark Queen of Krynn
Pools of Darkness
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Cheers

Pool of Radiance . Ruins Of Myth Drannor also has good turn-based fighting - but an awfully "hollow" and empty world ...

The Realms of Arcania trilogy, which might be the same as Alrik's suggestion, is a good TB series. I'd add Amberstar, Ambermoon, Albion to the list as well. All of these are ancient though. More ancient games-The Magic Candle trilogy and I think Bloodstone: A dwarven tale were all turn-based. Note that these games were made in the late 80's early 90's and I'm really aging myself by admitting that I bought them new :)

Can anybody tell me what a good turn based (fighting system) rpg to check into would be?

Thanks in advance!

Since the recommendations are all over the place, maybe you should clarify how old the games can be, how crappy graphics you're willing to tolerate and if the focus should be on great TB combat or on the full RPG package.

Another vote for Wizardry 8 + Temple of Elemental Evil.

Those would be my first picks, too.

EDIT: Although W8 is a bit of a variant. It's phase based. You don't pause for every combatant's turn, you pause once per round for everyone. Then everyone takes their turn in order based on initiative.

Wizardy 8, Might&Magic 6-7-8, Fallout 1-2, Arcanum, Pool of Radiance 2, Temple Of Elemental Evil, Anachronox, Avadon, Betrayal At Krondor, SSI Gold Box Games, Lost Odyssey (If you have an X360), Knights Of The Chalice come to my mind.

Back
Top Bottom