Superhero RPG?

Menigal

Extractor of Madness
Anyone know if there are any good superhero RPGs out there? The closest we seem to have are the Freedom Force games, which are a bit too linear and tactical/squady for me, and the MMOs, which are… MMOs. The only other one I can think of is the old Superhero League of Hoboken, which is going back a bit.

It seems like a prime genre for RPGs, but all we seem to get are usually franchise-based action games.

In addition to x-men legends ii, there is also Marvel ultimate alliance. Great games but be warned if you play them with PC: they have no mouse support. The stories also tend to be comic like and therefore very light (read 'for children').

Haven't got RPG brand on its box, but you should definitely try Batman: Arkham City. It has an experience point-leveling-skill system similar to other action RPG games. Also not so big but it has an open city to explore and there're also some interesting side quests to solve. Actually this game has more RP elements than most games who calls itself RPG without shame. Only drawback is the linear storyline and no choices&consequences. But I think if you call Mass Effect 2 an RPG, than you can do so for B:AC.

Yeah, I've got Arkham City. It's good, but not really an RPG in my book. As for the others, I think I've looked at them in the past and not been hugely impressed.

Oh well, I guess until some indie decides to make one, that's what we're stuck with. :p

There are none that I can think of. When I was a teen they were going to make a single player champions rpg but it got cancelled. Hero X was awful.

I tried to get spiderweb to make one when he was looking for ideas on what to make next, basically sneered at the idea though.

If I was to design one though I would do it in the xcom style with destructable environments...it's not super without things blowing up.

The best superhero rpg games that have a real Arcanum/Fallout etc. gameplay style to them might be mods to other games.

There is a forum for Freedom Force mods of which a few seem to have better quests and mission with more options.

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php

Also, there are several Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures mods based on SHUA (Superhero Unlimited Adventures) mod, that are old school RPGs with more options and better quests then Freedom Force. The FRUA game is a goldbox style game from the early 90s and it plays like Pool of Radiance or the Buck Rodgers CRPGs. If thats is something thats sounds ok, these fit the bill, and mre mods are being made all the time.
An update of FRUA called Dungeon Craft is being developed that will update the grpahics, interface, and engine and still ust the same party based, turn based gameplay and have the same mods and new ones.

forum:
http://ua.reonis.com/

almost all the modules:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom