Battlestar Galactica Razor

You don't like BSG, but you think Lost and Heroes are good?!?

Well I guess they both appeal to a more typical mainstream audience, I don't think Heroes is too bad, but Lost is complete and utter garbage imo.

Good Sci-Fi shows are hard to come by nowadays, especially original ones. BSG is a breath of fresh air in todays stagnant selection, my favorite series since Star Trek TNG.

When does Razor happen and what's it about? I was too lazy to sit through a 30 minutes podcast, and too blind to find any other info about the special episode on the Galactica site.
Last week, season 3 started over here, so I guess it'll be awhile until (if?) Razor will run here...

Well I guess they both appeal to a more typical mainstream audience, I don't think Heroes is too bad, but Lost is complete and utter garbage imo.
I guess it's also in tastes. I like Heroes because it's a lot like comics. I like the characters(Hiro Nakamura(bends time-space) is my favorite) a lot, and even though the story starts to feel familiar(as in i heard something similar before), I still find it very interesting.

As for Lost, I like it a lot. Lots of mystery, never understanding what's really going on, a lot of cool themes(like the island might be some sort of purgatory, or another one where everything that might be happening on the island is all in Hugo's mind, the weird numbers that seem to connect to a lot of things). And I like the flash-back way of telling about the characters previous lives before landing on the island. And the season 3 finale was awesome. Introducing flash-forwards from the future.

When does Razor happen and what's it about? I was too lazy to sit through a 30 minutes podcast, and too blind to find any other info about the special episode on the Galactica site.
Last week, season 3 started over here, so I guess it'll be awhile until (if?) Razor will run here...

It was great Jaz, I think you'll really like it.

The events in Razor take place right before, and immediately after the Galactica discovers the Battlestar Pegasus. It also shows flashbacks of what happened to the Pegasus during the initial Cylon attack, and reveals more about it's crew, particularly Admiral Cain. Overall it was a great movie imo, and really has me looking forward to season 4.

**Minor Spoiler**

There is a section of the movie where they actually encounter some of the old style Cylon Raiders and Cylon Centurions from the first war!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battlestar+galactica+razor+flashbacks

Here you can find the promotional flashback clips that Sci-Fi aired during the week prior to the airing of Razor. There are 7 of them at 2 minutes each. The 14 minutes of footage shows a young William Adama during an event that happened during the first Cylon war. Make sure you watch them in order #1-7.
Most of it is exclusive footage, not scenes from Razor.

Thanks for the info, the spoiler and the link :thumbsup::iloveyou:!

Oh, that was very nice. Young Adama indeed looked and acted like his older self, and he looked a lot like Apollo, too. I loved the
old Centurion, tough guy :). Still no IL-series Cylon in sight,
but I guess I'll survive this minor shortcoming. Now I want to see Razor, badly!

I like the scene where Adama hears that voice....

"All this has happened before, and will happen again"

The Cylon named Leoben also said those same words to Starbuck in Season 1.

I can't wait until we finally get to know the true meaning of that!

Last edited:
I'll be watching BSG:Razor tonight, and very looking forward to it.

I don't really like BGS. Tried watching it once, and got really bored. And I usually love sci-fi movies. I'm more into Lost and Heroes right now.

When you say tried watching it once, did you just flick on a random episode? BSG is very structured in it's plot narrative, you kind of have to watch from the start in order to get all the details of what is going on. Very much in the way that Lost and Heroes are structured. You can't just watch an episode and hope to be drawn into what is going on.

BSG also isn't really sci-fi in the sense of that's what the show is about, at least not by modern sci-fi media standards. It's a drama that happens to be set in space and around sci-fi like catalysts. The science fiction element isn't a "character" like it happens to be in a lot of sci-fi shows. It's more sci-fi in the older classic literary sense of the term, I think, which is nice (if you compare older sci-fi books to modern sci-fi television or movies, that's what I'm getting at in making the distinction).

I love BSG, it's one of the greatest things on television right now. Interesting characters, tons of moral questions and ethical shades of gray, tremendous production values and great stories.

I love BSG, it's one of the greatest things on television right now. Interesting characters, tons of moral questions and ethical shades of gray, tremendous production values and great stories.

I couldn't agree more, it takes a lot nowadays to get me to consistently watch any television series. BSG is the first show in a long time that has me looking forward to every episode on a weekly basis. It's also the first ever television series where I've made it a point to purchase every season on DVD as soon as they become available.

It's killing me to have to wait until March for the next(final) season.

When you say tried watching it once, did you just flick on a random episode? BSG is very structured in it's plot narrative, you kind of have to watch from the start in order to get all the details of what is going on. Very much in the way that Lost and Heroes are structured. You can't just watch an episode and hope to be drawn into what is going on.

Well, I started with the first episode of the first season from 2004.(I think the episode is called 33). And I felt as if I thrown right into the middle of the story, and that I missed a lot of it. But, I'm going to give it another shot. After looking on imdb.com I saw that the first series were in 1978, and I'm going to try and get that first season. And then work my way up to the 2003 mini-movie and the new series from 2004. The story should make a lot more sense if I start at the beginning.:)

But, I'm going to give it another shot. After looking on imdb.com I saw that the first series were in 1978, and I'm going to try and get that first season. And then work my way up to the 2003 mini-movie and the new series from 2004. The story should make a lot more sense if I start at the beginning.:)

Don't bother with the 1978 series unless you just want to compare, they are completely unrelated.

The 2003 mini-series movie is the beginning of the story, it's about 3 hours long and you can find the DVD for less than $10.

The first episodes that I ever saw were the last couple in Season 1. I didn't really understand what was going on until I went out and purchased the mini-series DVD, I haven't missed an episode since. :)

Well, I started with the first episode of the first season from 2004.(I think the episode is called 33). And I felt as if I thrown right into the middle of the story, and that I missed a lot of it. But, I'm going to give it another shot. After looking on imdb.com I saw that the first series were in 1978, and I'm going to try and get that first season. And then work my way up to the 2003 mini-movie and the new series from 2004. The story should make a lot more sense if I start at the beginning.:)

You were thrown into the middle of the story. 33 was the first episode of season one but it picked up exactly where the events of the four-part miniseries that came before it left off. Watch that first, it's practically mandatory.
As for the original series, it's not required viewing to understand the new BSG. The two shows are vastly different, and while the new series does borrow some stories and plots, the new show is significantly darker, more violent, and with tons more grit. The original was good, but it was pretty light-hearted by comparison. It is kind of interesting to watch both and see what the new series does with the source material, but watching it is not going to give you a deeper understanding of the new series at all.

As for Razor itself, watched it last night, enjoyed it very much. A few things kind of bugged me (I didn't find Cain as convincing as she was in last season's story arc with the Pegasus, rather she seemed more a dramatic plot device to explain Lt. Shaw and to set up an opposite to Adama's Galactica instead of a real character with real motivations and whatnot), but overall it was good fun.
I think I expected more, so I was left a bit underwhelmed. I'll be watching the DVD release when it comes out next month so as to see it uncut, and I'll reserve final assessment until then.

I saw the mini-series intro for BSG.:D Twas pretty cool. Loved all the nuking that went on. And the mention of Earth at the end.:D It certainly got me interested to see more.

The only thing I didn't like was the striking similarity of the vipers(the small human assault ships) to the xwing fighters from Star Wars. Or the Cylon capital ships look very much like the Star Destroyers from SW. They could have designed those ships a bit different, maybe even making them a bit more sci-fi.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like was the striking similarity of the vipers(the small human assault ships) to the xwing fighters from Star Wars. Or the Cylon capital ships look very much like the Star Destroyers from SW. They could have designed those ships a bit different, maybe even making them a bit more sci-fi.

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars as well, I can tell you that they are about as similar as pizza and fudge. They're great to watch, but very very different experiences.

Definitely try to get your hands on that mini series dvd if you can.

Well, the new BSG takes the designs of the original series ships and uses them extensively, and the original BSG was massively influenced by Star Wars. So seeing some similarities is not all that surprising.

Back
Top Bottom