Venetica questions

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Okay, just played this game past the first boss monster, which was an arcadey type sequence that I hated, but I got through it.

Question 1: I just reached Venice and it looks massive. Is 90% of it unexplorable?
Question 2: There are hundreds of locked doors. Is there any reason to explore outside of quests, except for loot of course?
Question 3: Are all of the boss fights the QTE type? 30 minutes of rolling around was borderline ridiculous. For those who haven't played this, but might be reading, the first boss fight is akin to fighting a 7 head hydra. You have to kill each head before you can kill the main body. It was tedious to the extreme.
Question 4: How long is Venetica? If Venice is as huge as it looks, this game will take a hundred hours to finish, which is a great thing….minus the boss fights ;)

I have been considering giving this game a spin for a while now so I will interested in answers as well!

Okay, for those who haven't played, here are the things I like about the game:

Lots of loot that is hidden so that you have to look around, underneath, up above and all over.

Simple graphics but with great variety in layouts. A good use of color.

Different weapons have very different "feels" to their use. A sword feels nothing at all like a hammer in combat. A warhammer is incredibly slow but hits like a hammer :)

There is at least minor choice and consequence all over the game. Some of it obvious, but not all.

Okay, for those who haven't played, here are the things I like about the game:

Lots of loot that is hidden so that you have to look around, underneath, up above and all over.

Simple graphics but with great variety in layouts. A good use of color.

Different weapons have very different "feels" to their use. A sword feels nothing at all like a hammer in combat. A warhammer is incredibly slow but hits like a hammer :)

There is at least minor choice and consequence all over the game. Some of it obvious, but not all.

Sounds intriguing. How's combat overall. Is it more like skyrim or dark souls?

Sounds intriguing. How's combat overall. Is it more like skyrim or dark souls?

I've only tried it out for a few hours, but I wouldn't say the combat is much like either of those games. It's more of an action-adventure like Risen, and the combat reminds me of the modern Legend of Zelda games.

I've only tried it out for a few hours, but I wouldn't say the combat is much like either of those games. It's more of an action-adventure like Risen, and the combat reminds me of the modern Legend of Zelda games.

Ok, thanks. If that's the case I'd probably just be better off playing the risen games since I haven't yet.

This is lighter than Risen 3. Risen 3 is dark and broody but Venetica is lighter fare. That's the only Risen game I have played, but I'd take it over Venetica I think. The combat reminds me of Witcher 2. Roll, roll, roll your toon, every other sec. (sang to row, row, row your boat).

Ok, thanks. If that's the case I'd probably just be better off playing the risen games since I haven't yet.

:shocked:
Uninstall *EVERYTHING*.
Install Risen 1. Play. Then 2. Play. Then 3. Play.
Visit Angry Joe's youtube channel and tell him his gaming skills are pathetic as he couldn't learn how to fight in these games! :D

I was enjoying the game a few years ago until I reached that first boss fight. I was never able to get past it; I'm hopeless at that sort of timed combat, so I can't tell you anymore than you already know.

It took me a few tries too, Corwin, till I got the hang of it. There is a trick to get her to lower the petals. Once you learn the sequence to do that, the whole combat is fairly easy, though tedious.

You don't have to roll all the time. There are a few defensive abilities you can learn from trainers early on in the game that allow the ability to parry and counter. The Witcher 2 was the same way, with defensive abilities being a possible character development choice.

It seems to me that people play games like Venetica and The Witcher - where options are limited at first to just basic attacks and defense - and expect the gameplay in the first few hours to be the only choices available to the player for the rest of the game. Take the time to look at the abilities first before judging!

The game has an in-game map that makes the gaming world look huge. However, that map is mis-leading, and many of the depicted map areas are closed off. Still, the game design for Venice is stunning.

I forgot about the boss fights, but they get better as the game progresses and after you defeat the various bosses, you get a nice little ??????????.

BTW, I hate timed/QTE fighting. I gave up on Witcher 2 because of that stupid Kragan. But even I was able to beat those Venetica bosses. And I have very little hand eye coordination for games.

It seems to me that people play games like Venetica and The Witcher - where options are limited at first to just basic attacks and defense - and expect the gameplay in the first few hours to be the only choices available to the player for the rest of the game. Take the time to look at the abilities first before judging!

Amen brother!

I know about block and riposte, but I still find myself rolling….alot. Riposte is a very nice skill once you get to Venice. Since I like mage skills I went with the order of the net or whatever. I figure this will give me insight into the major bad dude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom