Witcher 3 1Million preorders!

The Witcher 3
Not if it sells well. Skyrim held up it's price for a long, long time due to brisk sales.

No it didn't!

I bought Skyrim on release for £35 from Steam, within 1 month it was down to £20! o_O That was one of the last games I pre-ordered as I was so peeved…

Daniel.

This is true. I remember Skyrim's went on some sale soon after the release.
But IIRC it was some xmas sale, 30% off, just like happened with DA3.

Aye, Skyrim came out November 2011, so that makes sense.

Daniel.

Not if it sells well. Skyrim held up it's price for a long, long time due to brisk sales. Besides, you're a captain. Surely you can afford a $60 game?

when i regularly see the witcher and witcher 2 on sale for 2.99, i have to disagree. that said my decision has only some to do with affordability versus a gigantic backlog of games i already own. also, i could watch the whole game on youtube these days, but where is the fun in that?

As for owner of both previous Witchers my price was lowered to 43.99 EUR. Not so bad discount (full 59.99).

What's this now? I have The Witcher on Steam, but The Witcher 2 on GOG. The Witcher 3 goes for 46.99 EUR on Steam for me. In the search box, however, it says 49.99 EUR. So I get a discount for owning the first game on Steam? (And no discount for the second on GOG, booo?)

Also, when does the pre-sale on Steam end, anyway? Can I still buy it for a reduced price after the reviews are allowed to pour in tomorrow? That's what I'm wondering.

It's bound to get amazing scores from most places. I'll be surprised if it turns out to be anything less then 4/5.

Daniel.

What's this now? I have The Witcher on Steam, but The Witcher 2 on GOG. The Witcher 3 goes for 46.99 EUR on Steam for me. In the search box, however, it says 49.99 EUR. So I get a discount for owning the first game on Steam? (And no discount for the second on GOG, booo?)

Also, when does the pre-sale on Steam end, anyway? Can I still buy it for a reduced price after the reviews are allowed to pour in tomorrow? That's what I'm wondering.

Presales will run till 19th on every site.

For all I know, you can use Steam key to make "a backup" on GOG which will allow you a better discount because you'll have 2 games there then. Dunno how exactly, please check GOG site for that (ask on forums if it's too complicated to find).

It's bound to get amazing scores from most places. I'll be surprised if it turns out to be anything less then 4/5.

Daniel.
I'm actually interested only in the review from Escapist journalist who gave 10/10 to Dragon Age 2.

I'm surprised they got 1 million pre-orders, the previous 2 games took months to reach that number…and sequel tend to sell less nor more.

In addition to the corrections that others offered, bear in mind that this is the first Witcher title to debut with console versions released alongside PC. It took CDPR roughly a year to roll out the 360 version of TW2, and there was no PS3 version. TW3 offers XBox One and PS4 versions at launch, and both of those - especially PS4 - are somewhat starved for showcase games. The addressable market for TW3 is simply much, much larger.

In addition to the corrections that others offered, bear in mind that this is the first Witcher title to debut with console versions released alongside PC. It took CDPR roughly a year to roll out the 360 version of TW2, and there was no PS3 version. TW3 offers XBox One and PS4 versions at launch, and both of those - especially PS4 - are somewhat starved for showcase games. The addressable market for TW3 is simply much, much larger.

Never underestimate the power of mass marketing: both Microsoft and Sony (to a lesser degree) are promoting this game. Not to mention that you have a very hot console platform in the PS4 that the previous games were not published on.

Back
Top Bottom