White Gold color gamma

Ika

Watcher
gamma.jpg

If you played the White Gold, which color gamma you'll choose?
Googling the site for WG for more info also.

And Ika - you should specify that you are with Deep Shadows in your signature. That way people will be able to ask you specific questions about this highly anticipated (for me anyway) games.

And Ika - you should specify that you are with Deep Shadows in your signature. That way people will be able to ask you specific questions about this highly anticipated (for me anyway) games.

ok I'll make my signature :)

There are screens to compare

01.jpg

02.jpg

I tend to like the first one, but there are some clear differences in subject included in the screens - there are gray clouds and foreground trees, for example.

I like the first picture better too. The graphics seem more clear and generally just better. The colours in the first picture are a bit more artificial though, so it is of course a trade-off.

One of the big problems with Oblivion was that the colours chosen for the vegetation was too unnatural, but Oblivion didn't take place in a tropical setting either, so the colours in the first picture might just have the appropriate colours.

Last edited:
The first one looks a bit oversaturated and therefore unnatural to me, although I like the blue sky. In comparison, the second looks more realistic but a bit bland... If I had to choose, I'd pick the middle one. :p

I tend to like the first one, but there are some clear differences in subject included in the screens - there are gray clouds and foreground trees, for example.

The gray clouds are the same.. and the first image is just wider while the second is a bit higher I think. It's just about the colors. To me it looks like those images Microsoft published showcasing the differences between DirectX 10 and 9. I'd still prefer a middle ground though, if it were possible. More vibrant colors than the second picture, less vibrant than the first.

Last edited:
I like the second one for the realism, but the first one has more colour which is great for game playing, so I'd go with screen number one as my preference.

Well, last weekend we actually *had* such a blue, blue sky ...
It depends on two facturs :

1. humidity in the air
2. amount of clouds

The more humidity, the darker, the more grey the clouds and the overall visual is.

The more dry the air, the more blue it appears.

Given the fact that this game appears to take place (judging from the pictures above) a rather aequatorial area, then I guess the air must be rather humid, which means picture number 2 is more realistic.

While I agree the second is likely more realistic (and I'm usually one of the first to push realism in any discussion on games) I admit I rather like the first picture, particularly the clouds. Oversaturation has been used to good effect for "island" games in the past, like Farcry.

Perhaps a default should be somewhere in between. I live in South Florida and I'd judge realism for here to be somewhere in the middle (perhaps leaning towards the first shot) except on cloudy/rainy days where the latter is far more realistic.

I like the first one better. Maybe living in Ireland has spoiled me, but I am quite used to seeing such bright green foliage. (blue skies not so much though :p )

the first seems more realistic to me in all honesty, the second is too washed out.

I prefer the first one, it looks like a still from an intense dream.

But well if you look at it from an artistical/metaphysical point of view then you could justify picture nr. 1 for being a better picture.

The surname of White Gold is "War In Paradise" and picture nr. 1 have a more surreal/celestial feeling about it, so you can justify that the world, setting or graphics of White Gold becomes a symbol or identical of paradise and the atrocities happening on the ground therefore more horrid or "wrong".
It is literally "War In Paradise" so I can't see the problem in making the world more divine even though this tropical setting isn't supposed to be paradise but only function as a symbol of a world that equals paradise. But as written, from an artistical point of view you could justify it.

Last edited:
for me the second is superior and less nauseating. there is only about 1 in 10 games i think look better with bloom on, and the rest i turn off. any game that has lots of detailed buildings and vegetation i think looks ridiculous with bloom. but sometimes like people have said the tropical games are a perfect time to use bloom. just cause for example fit perfect with the bloom settings as it game the game a kind of been sitting in the sun and had a few shots of tequila kind of feel to it.

bioshock for example i thought looked much better with post processing off. but maybe that's just me.

What I actually never understood is, why do they actually create these absolutely beautiful environments and don't use them for Adventure games ???

What I actually never understood is, why do they actually create these absolutely beautiful environments and don't use them for Adventure games ???

Yeah, man. What's up with not getting what we want? I've been asking myself that question as well. I mean why does mother nature create all these beautiful women and then doesn't use them for my personal pleasure? What a waste...

:biggrin:

And on topic: Pic no. 1 looks a lot better. Maybe tone down the color saturation a notch or two to make it look a little less smurfy and then it's perfect ;) .

Back
Top Bottom