Elder Scrolls Online - A Balancing Act

aries100

SasqWatch
Sean Engemann from Cheat Code Central has penned an editorial about this game.
In it, he discusses the Nightblade class, Bethesdas recent updates to the and much more.A quote about the Nightblade class:

I felt sorry for anyone who rolled a Nightblade class, as there longwinded adventure up to Craglorn was met with dismissal from nearly every group invite, with their class being underpowered for the Adventure zone. Some updates to the class have been implemented, though the stigma remains, and the class is still behind in the damage stats. I had a hard enough time with my Templar trying to join runs through the Aetherian Archive and Hel Ra Citadel.
More information.

Its the classes fault for early nightblades being shitheads and charging in ahead of the tanks and take damages forcing the healer to heal them instead and getting the group wiped and thus most groups dismissing nightblades now because of that?

For every bad player in the world, there's an argument for balance being off.

A little bit on/off topic but I didn't hear about this game in a long time? Is it any good?

Long time? Someone is skipping posts... :p

Ovenal said it a few days ago, today redman also says:
Well, I have cancelled my ESO subscription...
I say no buy. :D

hmm, which thread was that? I ussually skip MMO forum so that might be the reason I didn't see it...

Just click on little blue box in the quote above, it'll take you to the post it's quoted from. ;)

Long time? Someone is skipping posts… :p

Ovenal said it a few days ago, today redman also says:

I say no buy. :D

Other people, like me, still like it very much. So, it's a matter of taste. But I suspect, since you (@GG) don't like Skyrim, you probably won't enjoy ESO, despite the differences between the two games.

pibbur

Well, I don't think it is much like skyrim from what I've heard, do you have some impression from playing and so on? or is there another thread about that.

I have already seen that the character graphics is much improved, which is one thing I hated the most about skyrim.

For every bad player in the world, there's an argument for balance being off.

I read that often, but I have often many max characters in MMOs I play a longer time. I had 5 max chars in EQ2 and 6 in GW2 now, and trust me, the classes of MMOs are usually VERY imbalanced. They are usually not even remotely even powered. ONE reason being is, that nowadays MMOs have both PVP and PVE in the same game, and that is close to impossible to balance.

I have only briefly played ESO, so I dont know about that, but anyone who played a lot of MMOs will tell you classes usually ARE quite imbalanced. For instance GW2 Warrior just outclasses all other having almost the DMG of a Rogue and among the top most defense too. I could say the same about a lot of classes.

I dont even blame developers; balancing and still keeping distinct and interesting classes is among the most difficult things to do. LOTRO had among the best class balancing, partially because it didn't have any (real) PVP to take into account, and WoW used to have the worst balancing, because Blizzard had clear flavour of the months classes they loved much more than others.

...join runs through the Aetherian Archive and Hel Ra Citadel

And this is why it didn't hold up to me. "Runs" through content. It's another MMO with an ES wrapper. People running and jumping about, very little social activity, players generally look all the same.

It has good points, I didn't hate it, and I enjoyed playing for a couple months. But nothing grabbed me. There's no sense of belonging like in an ES game. You have no home, no feeling of story. You zone in and out like every other MMO and go on a quest-marker hunt. Usually quests are contained in small areas, very little (if any) having to travel far to complete them. The crafting was kind of cool in that you can create stuff you will actually use — and doesn't take forever vs. most MMO crafting.

It's not bad. It's not good either.

It has good points, I didn't hate it, and I enjoyed playing for a couple months. But nothing grabbed me. There's no sense of belonging like in an ES game. You have no home, no feeling of story. You zone in and out like every other MMO and go on a quest-marker hunt. Usually quests are contained in small areas, very little (if any) having to travel far to complete them. The crafting was kind of cool in that you can create stuff you will actually use — and doesn't take forever vs. most MMO crafting.

It's not bad. It's not good either.

I said it in another thread but ESO is a MMO designed for people who don't like to play with other people but like to have other people running about.

I read that often, but I have often many max characters in MMOs I play a longer time. I had 5 max chars in EQ2 and 6 in GW2 now, and trust me, the classes of MMOs are usually VERY imbalanced. They are usually not even remotely even powered. ONE reason being is, that nowadays MMOs have both PVP and PVE in the same game, and that is close to impossible to balance.

Well, I'm a strange person - as I tend to trust my own experiences over that of another person. Expecting balance in a game with as many factors and human elements as the average MMO is not realistic.

But there's a big difference between an impossible balance and then claiming imbalance is the root of everything that goes wrong for you.

Trust ME - most players simply suck and refuse to think out of the box.

I have only briefly played ESO, so I dont know about that, but anyone who played a lot of MMOs will tell you classes usually ARE quite imbalanced. For instance GW2 Warrior just outclasses all other having almost the DMG of a Rogue and among the top most defense too. I could say the same about a lot of classes.

Let's just say my experience with MMOs is not insignificant. I know about Warrior and "Zerker" builds in GW2. But, again, there's a difference between the hivemind calling the shots for the general population and truth.

Usually, it's somewhere in-between, and most players actually prefer to believe the popular saying rather than work and think out-of-the-box. That's been my experience.

I dont even blame developers; balancing and still keeping distinct and interesting classes is among the most difficult things to do. LOTRO had among the best class balancing, partially because it didn't have any (real) PVP to take into account, and WoW used to have the worst balancing, because Blizzard had clear flavour of the months classes they loved much more than others.

That's a misconception if I ever saw one :)

Trying to pin it on developer bias is ludicrous. Blizzard's problem was and is that they iterate based on player feedback too much, and trust in their own vision too little.

But WoW was quite balanced for a long time - considering the amount of factors involved. The problem is that they eventually relented and decided that all classes should perform well at most tasks, and that's when everything interesting about it went down the shitter.

That's one of the biggest problems with MMOs today. Well, not the genre itself - but how developers approach it. They spoil players by changing everything based on the initial perception - and they don't give them time or motivation to adapt. So, imbalance will be an endless cyclical problem as one class is tweaked until it's "desirable" which makes other classes less desirable.

The best approach is to strive for balance - but then ACCEPT a certain measure of imbalance - and wait for a LONG time until players have adapted. THEN you can see what's real and what's not. We're talking 6-12 months, instead of every other month.

Well, I'm a strange person - as I tend to trust my own experiences over that of another person. Expecting balance in a game with as many factors and human elements as the average MMO is not realistic.

But there's a big difference between an impossible balance and then claiming imbalance is the root of everything that goes wrong for you.

Trust ME - most players simply suck and refuse to think out of the box.
Why should he? Maybe he tends to trust his own experiences over that of another person? :lol:

:biggrin:

Why should he? Maybe he tends to trust his own experiences over that of another person? :lol:

That was the implied joke and my way of pointing out that it's not wise to trust others in such a scenario, which you'd have to be smarter to appreciate ;)

I know there's a running joke around here about player housing. But IMO, ESO would have benefitted immensely from having some kind of early or mid level quest line to get some kind of home base, even some instanced small house or barracks or camp site or whatever. You literally have no roots anywhere. Even WoW gave you a resting bonus for zoning out at an inn for a few hours, like you spent the night there.

Housing, sense of place or home is not something I'd ever thought I'd miss in a game, but there you go.

I know there's a running joke around here about player housing. But IMO, ESO would have benefitted immensely from having some kind of early or mid level quest line to get some kind of home base, even some instanced small house or barracks or camp site or whatever. You literally have no roots anywhere. Even WoW gave you a resting bonus for zoning out at an inn for a few hours, like you spent the night there.

Housing, sense of place or home is not something I'd ever thought I'd miss in a game, but there you go.

Housing would be great - and I'm sure it's on their to-do-list.

Most MMOs implemented housing later in the development cycle.

I'm much more interested in their Justice system and open world PvP that comes with it, as well as the Dark Brotherhood guild :)

The running joke was about having nothing but player housing Ovenall :)

Back
Top Bottom