Cats vs Dogs (or hamster/snake)

Kayla

Sentinel
What pets do you have and do you have a preference between cats and dogs?
I appreciate some people don't have cats and dogs, they have spiders, snakes or other pets, but I think cats and dogs are still the most common.

I had always had dogs, but I think I am definitely more a cat person now. I find them very entertaining, and they give so much love (and distain at times), and I particularly love it when they go absolutely mental for no reason and decide to watch the invisible cat on the ceiling, or attack and inanimate object that was somehow "asking for it".

I couldn't see another thread of this topic, and thought it would be interesting (and maybe some cute animal pics would result).

I have dogs--no spiders except the ones my arachnophobic spouse misses in his insecticidal sweeps through the house-corners. I used to be more of a cat person, and I agree, they have a quality of goofiness combined with total aloof superiority that no other species--least of all humans--seems able to get away with.

Unfortunately, my son is allergic to felines so for many years cats were banned; now I'm just out of the habit and have dogs that like ALF, think they are a delicacy. However, I've found that dogs have their own varieties of endearing dumbness and occasional flashes of earthy shrewdness, especially regarding food items.

We have two dogs atm, a strange furry creature that looks like
a black version of:

Nes_falcor.jpg

Falcor the Luck Dragon in the Neverending Story

who is half husky and half Giant Schnauzer(that would be Schnusky for short) and a maniacal ninja Jack Russell terrier who likes to wrap himself up in the afghan, then spring out and attack unsuspecting passers-by.

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger . . .
Mushroom, MUUSHROOM!
Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger . . .
Argh! Snaaake! Snaaaake!

. . .

I'm definitely a cat person. :kitty: I don't own any pets myself, though. As for cute cat pics, this is one of my favorites:

Attachments

• kisa.jpg
    kisa.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 51
A Magerette. I had always had dogs. I know yu shouldn't have a favourite pet, but I definitely had a favourite dog. Susie was a very beautiful dog who always seemed to know what you were thinking. If I was in a good mood she would play and cuddle for hours. If I'd had a bad day o I was upset she would put her head on my lap and just look at me and my day didn't seem so bad. She was a very special friend.
I have two cats now, and if I have bad day that just look at me as if to say "I don't care if you had a bad day.... I am waiting for food and you have failed to cave to my needs immediately. You are on my black list".
I find the loyalty of dogs commendable, but I have seen people hit their dog and then call them and they come, leg between their tails an scared. I think dogs are too noble for some people to own. If you are mean to a cat it will just find somewhere else to live.
P.S. I don't have a favourite cat. I love both of them, even though they are completely different, I wouldn't change anything about either of them. They are beautiful as they are, and I know when I get a purr, cuddle or headrub I have done something to deserve it.

@ Arhu. You are a nut. And very entertaining. You definitely have the cat behaviour down pat.

Cats are low maintenance. As long as you have someone who can put out food and water when you go on a vacation you're set.

So, we have cats and contrary to a lot of popular belief they do bond.

Cats do definitely bond, they just want what they want when they wanted. Cuddles, pats, purrs, squeaks, headrubs and diverolls are on their terms and conditions.

@Purpleblob Why do you hate dogs? Were you attacked by one? I used to do a lot of charity work and every year during the Red Shield Appeal doorknock I would be bitten by a dog. I put that down to poor training of the owner to teach their dog social skills rather than a reflection on the dog. I have never liked "little barky dogs" like chihuahua's as they seem to have a major attitude problem.

@Purpleblob Why do you hate dogs? Were you attacked by one?

yep. I was attacked by my cousin's dog when I was about 10. it bit my finger and my fingernail came off and it took me about a month to regrow it. also various of events in my childhood. back that time in korea, dogs were not pets but there to guard home. so I spent lots of time in my childhood chased by dogs although I really didn't do anything to piss them off.

I can understand why you don't like dogs. I hate ciccadas because my sisters pinned me down and tried to shove one up my nose when I was little. When I hear a ciccada I close the doors and windows. I hate spiders because of a prank my sister played on me. Dogs can certainly hurt (particularly if trained as a watch dog), ciccadas can't hurt you and most spiders can't hurt you, so at least you have a very valid reason for your dislike of dogs. I can't explain why I still hate ciccadas and spiders.... it's a bit like the irrational fear my cat has of aluminium foil.

I didn't ever lose a fingernail from a dog bite... usually they bit my leg or my hand (not my fingers) and once my bum.... I can image how painful your dog bite would have been.

@ Arhu. You are a nut. And very entertaining. You definitely have the cat behaviour down pat.

Ah, the first lines were just the lyrics from The Badger Song, which popped into my mind when I read your thread title. ^^ (Snaaaake!)

Deffinately cats. Dogs sometimes scare me ->When I get scared I move to an attack position, so I don't like dogs.
We now have a cat and it really helped me during my studies -> When I was feeling lonely and depressed, she came sitting on my lap and by that show me that there are other sides of the world.

We have a cat and a dog. I grew up around dogs and pretty much always had a dog; my wife grew up with a cat. When our previous dog died, we decided we'd get both.

Here's Missy and Jekku. She's had a difficult childhood and is consequently very wary of people she doesn't know, although she's extremely affectionate with us. He's a border terrier, loves everything and everyone, but especially big dogs and big men.

448462357_b733a62420.jpg

We love out two dogs and a cat ... they are all about the same size :D I'll have to post a pic when I have a chance.

@HiddenX: Is that a Samoyed? My first dog was that breed and she was a lovely girl.

You mean people have pets other than dogs!! :) We have a KC Spaniel, who spends all day sleeping unless there's food around; it's his ONLY motivation in life.

We had several pets over the course of time... I had a rabbit, two porpoises, two cats and five hamsters; hubby had a bird, a dog and two hamsters. One cat, the dog and the hamsters made it into our common household, but they all died of old age, and both hubby and I had developed animal hair allergies somewhere along the way (he is allergic to cats while I'm allergic to rabbits), so now we don't have pets anymore.

Do I prefer cats or dogs? I'd say cats because they don't stink the way dogs do, but dogs are said to taste better.
Of all my pets I liked the hamsters best.
Sonny wants a pet, too, but as long as he's content with collecting snails and earthworms, I won't complain.

Back
Top Bottom