Steam summer-sale have mercy

For example, I would really like to buy Risen 2 or Gods and Kings, but I'm not willing to pay more than around $10-12, so I'll wait until the Winter sale.

Fair enough.

Personally, I'm a bit binary about games. I either want to play them or I don't. If I can afford a game and it's not priced unfairly - I'll just buy it if I want to play it. I can't see the point in waiting.

Then again, my time spent enjoying something is a lot more valuable to me than my money. So, the only reason I wouldn't buy a game I wanted to play that I could afford - would be if there was another game I'd rather want to play.

My time is limited, unfortunately.

That said, there are games that I'm curious about - and that I'm not really sure I'd want to play. This is very rare - and I generally have no problem "testing" them in an illegal fashion before supporting the developers. However, if they're available cheaply and easily - I'll buy them instead of testing them through illegal means. I've never felt the need to support things blindly - but there's generally enough ways to determine whether something is worth supporting without having to actually try it. This wasn't quite the case in the past, both because of limited exposure - but also from having more enthusiasm than experience.

This is the first time I'm buying stuff in a big Steam sale. For the last couple of years I have specifically looked for a deal when I wanted to play something.

I ended up buying the Steam Sega deal. I ended up playing RTW: Barbarian Invasion for a long time, but I don't really like the concept of hordes. I'm going to start an Alexander campaign instead.

Anyone have these and in the mood for a multiplayer battle at some point maybe ?

I'm too much of a procrastinator when it comes to sales. I always think, "yes I'd like to buy that", but then I forget about it for several days and the sale is over. Most of the problem is that I read about games and such at work, but I can't buy there because Steam is blocked. When I get home, real life takes over and I forget about all the cool deals I'm missing :)

There are a lot of games I want to play, some more than others. Clearly I don't have enough time to play them all. And there is not a clear order on which are most desirable to me. So when prices drop, the cost/benefit ratio drops, so I buy games that are lower on the totem pole than my top picks.

I'm ot playing anymore as much as I did years before. I don't know why.
And that's why I haven't been buying many games this year. I just don't want/need to anymore. It's a bit of a ... feeling of detachedness.

So is a hidden reference from the movie ''The Hurt Locker'' be saying that above?

Also, I think the impulse-effect is almost never to the benefit of the person with the impulse, so I try my best to fight it.

I agree, and that's why I only purchase titles that I know I'll definitely want to play.. even if it's not something I'm likely to finish. I almost never buy something that I think I "might" play.

I just gave in and purchased GTA IV and Vice City. I won't play them anytime soon due to what I have lined up right now, but I know those are games I'll definitely spend some time with in the future. The soundtrack for Vice City alone is worth more than what I spent on the game.

Then again, my time spent enjoying something is a lot more valuable to me than my money. So, the only reason I wouldn't buy a game I wanted to play that I could afford - would be if there was another game I'd rather want to play.

At this point, I have around 200 games in my Steam library, the vast majority of which I haven't even installed yet, so I have plenty to keep me busy and I no longer feel any need to buy games at initial release full MSRP unless it is something I was eagerly awaiting like Skyrim, ME3 or Fallout New Vegas.

Apart from these few titles, most of the games in my library were purchased at massive discounts, and there are some cases where I bought publisher package deals with dozens of crap games and some quality gems that made it worthwhile.

So far during this Summer Sale I've purchased around 20 games. Planning to keep them all in my trading inventory until I have time to play them, so I can always decide to trade them for something else. Perhaps I will end up trading some of these deep discount games for Risen 2, Gods and Kings or Dishonored.

Bought something too: Streets of Rage 2 and 3. I recently hooked up my old sega megadrive again and played the first game with my daughter. Couldn't resist when I saw number 2 and 3 in the sega packages. Since it's only 3 euro ... :)

So far, I managed to restrain myself from getting too much - I only got the Dungeon Siege Pack and Dragon Age Origins Ultimate for $7.50 each. I figure that is a lot of gameplay for the price of a couple of sandwiches, and do plan on playing them.

Luckily I already have a bunch of the good RPG stuff on Steam, so temptation is minimal this time around.

I hope they put up a deep discount on Risen before the sale ends - that's one I definitely want to play.

I agree, and that's why I only purchase titles that I know I'll definitely want to play.. even if it's not something I'm likely to finish. I almost never buy something that I think I "might" play.
….

Another wise choice. And I hate you too. :)

pibbur who takes comfort in having fewer games in his Steam library than the count. And who remembers a fellow student from med school who from the start of every trimester studied until 18:00 every day, including the last weeks before exams. The other students (including pibbur) probably spent just as much time studying, only not as evenly distributed. We hated him of course (he was a nice guy). He is now a professor in haematology (diseases of the blood), got that job at a fairly young age. While pibbur ... eh ... let's not talk about his medical car(r?)eer.

Last edited:
I ended up grabbing Galactic Civlizations II: Ultimate Edition last night. It will probably be the last game I purchase from Steam this summer.

I can't remember the last time I played a pure TB-strategy game, but I've been hearing so many people praise GalCiv II for so long that I figured I would see what all the fuss is about.

Considering what the retail version costs, $4.99 seemed like a pretty good deal. ;)

Bought Arcania too and so far I don't think it's as bad as some wanted to make me believe. It feels a bit like KotOR in a gothic setting. I haven't played much (just managed to get trough to the first real island), but so far I like it a bit. This comes from someone who got bored by oblivion and morrowind.

I also thought Arcania was kinda fun. The writing and dialog is pretty awful but I've certainly played worse games!

The Steam sale provided me Batman Arkham City, some Warlock and Crusader Kings II DLC and Divine Divinity! The least I've spent in a Steam sale in a while. I guess I grabbed that Paradox bundle on Amazon earlier this month and Metro 2033 on greenmangaming last week too and all that was keys that redeemed on Steam so I guess it's been a similar sale-period than any other for me… It's kinda neat how these other retailers are beating Steam's prices.

I picked up Dungeon Siege 3, that I'm playing, and torchlight and the dlc to Deus Ex 3.

I'm having a heck of a time in DS3 in Upper Raven's Rill. The end boss is a doozy!

I enjoyed DS3 enough to play through twice, I thought the gameplay was OK, plot/quests/characters were much improved on the previous games and the graphics were stunning. The main downside for me was the very linear maps, even worse than DS1 and 2.

I got myself few games from this summer sale.

Legend of grimrock. I can't wait to play this when I find time. I'm a fan of dungeon crawlers :)

Alan wake franchise. Not entirely sure about this tittle, but a friend of mine said that playing the game reminded him of Twin peaks, so it can't be all bad!

Witcher 2 - Should have waited the daily deal though. I only got 40% discount because I was so impatient, but the game is certainly worth of every euro.

Assasin creed The brotherhood (sequel to ASC2) In the next sale I'm going to get the revolutions. :)

Vampire bloodlines - a rpg classic i always wanted to add my steam collection. Its been years sinc i played it, so maybe its a proper time give it a spin.

I also got fallout new vegas ultimate edition just because all the dlcs i haven't yet played. Most folks here have praised their quality so i grabbed them instantly when i saw the deal.

Back
Top Bottom