The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Short News Roundup

I have had no problem with the English translations to be honest, but like I said, you do notice some odd structures that come from the difference between the origin and target languages (ie English vs slavic morphology). But these are so miniscule you'll probably won't find them unless you search for them. For me, it added to authenticity.

So are the translations missing a lot or not? I was about to start the Witcher series, but not if the english translations are lacking a lot.

I never read the polish version but I did read the english version of Last wish and found it highly enjoyable. So the english version isn't lacking

So are the translations missing a lot or not? I was about to start the Witcher series, but not if the english translations are lacking a lot.

No no, sorry if I gave anyone that impression. I would definitely not call them lacking. I was just referring to myself being more alert to oddly structured sentences due to (me being conscious of) the translation. If that makes sense... :)

I've read the first few chapters so far, and I *have* been enjoying it.

That's good to know, at least. I find myself more prone (and "on guard") to noticing "unnaturally" constructed sentences, because I know I'm not reading it in the original language.

Sapkowski is a master of odd (or unusual) verbal structures. So, in those particular cases, it's actually a sign of a good translation to have "odd sentences" also appear in the English translation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom