Shroud of the Avatar - Release 8 Instructions

Oh, that can be cool alright, though hard to implement in game with real time combat. I agree it can be cool to roleplay a not super sweet, self-serving character, which could include the option to get rid of your "fellows", but it would also be tedious to always watch your back. It's also hard to bring that character concept across in a vidya game - apart from stealing loot and outright killing other players.

Nah, not really - it depends on the players. Most FFA PvP games allow for that kind of roleplaying and it's not as unusual as one might think.

Certainly, there will always be asshats - and especially in games with large communities. But some of the niche MMOs like Darkfall Unholy Wars tend to provoke reasonable, if not peaceful, behavior - because being an asshat becomes public knowledge before you know it - and you can't do much against an entire server.

I think people like PvP because of the challenge. Not me personally, but if you're a good tactician, pretty much no matter the difficulty of the AI, you'll eventually master it and be able to beat any computer controlled enemies. But playing another player? That's a whole different thing.

The difficulty of the AI? Games come with various levels of difficulty and the AI (which is a contextual process and an expert system) is tuned up to understand better the highest level of difficulty. It is scaled down by moving the AI in contexts the AI grabs less.

The AI does not change in various difficulty settings but grows smarter in higher levels because the AI makes more of it as it was tuned up to that context.

Apart players who want to sit on the top of the world, eventually equals time that mean that players who invest that time in PvP, instead of spending time to beat the higher settings, will grow able enough to beat a lot of human players.

Back
Top Bottom