Watch Dogs - can you run it?

I'm lucky I guess. I played a couple hours today and my son has played several.

So you can't even play it at all if Uplay is down? I thought most of their games had an offline mode.

The game can be played in offline mode with no problem. It did take a while to download as its 14 GB or so but after that offline is no issue so far.

And I left my PC to download it when I went on work. Now I'm back and found uPlay turned off. I had to start it again.
It didn't finish the download and it doesn't see any previously downloaded data but is downloading everything - again.
For god's sakes…

I'm so tired of crap on my work and just can't go now to ubi forums and spit on their faulty, buggy and retarded DRM client. But whoever says that Steam sucks doesn't know what he's talking about.
I'm sick of it. If this repeats once more, I'll go for the pirated version, mark my words.

2lv0n80.png

No game on earth is worth more than 3 seconds of inconvenience, imo. I'll play old stuff before capitulating to this kind of madness. In this day and age, I'm astounded more than 5 people would even tolerate this nonsense.

So you can't even play it at all if Uplay is down? I thought most of their games had an offline mode.

You have to log in the first time otherwise you can't play, after that you can play in offline mode.

It sucks but it's just a game, the are much worse things that happen in life than not being able to play a game on launch day.

No game on earth is worth more than 3 seconds of inconvenience, imo. I'll play old stuff before capitulating to this kind of madness. In this day and age, I'm astounded more than 5 people would even tolerate this nonsense.

I spent way more time back in the day trying to get old games to work than I've lost to any current day DRM.

Irq, dma, hma, batch files, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, it's pretty minor all things considered. That said, uPlay is particularly sucky as a platform.

Played a bit yesterday. Short first "impressions":

1. Overall graphics is fantastic, no, I didn't play with ultra textures because I don't see why would this game need that crap
2. Overall gfx may be fantastic but hair is horrible, again, will someone make it right already, pretty please?
3. Mouse support is horrible, behaves crazy at times, the game is obviously a port from consoles, keyboard is okay on the other hand
4. Subtitles (transcription) system is horrible, did they ever watch a movie with subs to see how's that done properly?
5. Save system is non existing and the wtf rise at illogical "checkpoint" upon death or mission fail is horrible

So it's fantastic, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible. :)
It's not fun to see a console crap on PC. They could at least make a proper savegames system if mouse support was a tough nut to crack.
Don't get me wrong, the game is not bad. Not bad at all. I couldn't stop playing it.

Last edited:
Hehe
Didn't read/watch reviews.
The point I wanted to say is this, the game is fun at least early in the first part of the town where you can hack mobiles, cams, traffic stuff, vents and etc. It's openworld but in other parts you can't use hacking - it unlocks with the main story quests so I didn't go there as I wanted to make as much side missions in this part as I can.
It's also eyecandy.

But is it a brilliant game? No!
Do you get a story so good you just want to "read" more of it? No.
Is everything clear so you know what are things like hot spots and missing persons about? No.
Is morality system good? No*.
For example, you draw your weapon and ppl call the police. Okay. But you drive over them and nothing happens. Noone objects, police doesn't come. Oh and you go kill some criminals. Police also comes. The same police JOINS those criminals and chases you around. I mean… wtf
Etc, I'll go into too many spoilers if I continue.

It's simple as that. Graphics whore in you will love it. Everything else is really nothing superb. It is fun, but it simply lacks of spice! Seen a masterpiece without a spice? Neither did I.

Although I haven't seen the whole of it yet, I can already say that this game feels like a dumbed down FarCry 3 with just a tiny bit better graphics in a city.

I got the game for free with a new nvidia video card and it appear that the "new game" button should be renamed "reboot PC" (after going through the settings of the games, clicking new game caused my computer to reboot right away).

I'm over the recommended specs so it can't be a "lack of power". I'm wondering if I should bother with find out why it did that. My computer have been stable in everything so far.

edit:
looks like my video card drivers do not like the game at all...

Make sure you install the latest card drivers and make sure you don't use ultra on textures.

After I wrote that, I installed the latest driver and I was able to get into the game. I didn't play for long and I will have to restart because I screwed my points allocation.

Don't restart, you didn't screw anything!
Many skills are locked at start and soon you'll get more points to distribute, just continue the game.

Don't restart, you didn't screw anything!
Many skills are locked at start and soon you'll get more points to distribute, just continue the game.

I put everything into hacking at random because I didn't realize there were other branches (I blame the UI and crap controls). Beside ~10 minutes isn't that long.

The upgrade UI is, indeed, a piece of crap. Also, most of the upgrades seem underwhelming and boring. Filler stuff.

I blame the UI and crap controls
I know what you mean, said already that UI (mouse support) is horrible. :D
It's a sort of a lesson. I preordered this game without asking questions because of many good things Ubi did lately (FC3 and it's standalone DLC, M&M10, TSoT, that indielooking game I can't remember the title now).

I've almost preordered FC4 and now I decided not to. I'll just wait and maybe not even buy it in the end - if the answer on these two questions is no:
1. Can I save the game if not anywhere then at least like in FC3?
2. Is the UI FULLY adapted to mouse+keyboard?

That reminds me. I didn't troll on Ubi boards for ages now. Time to go there and stir the pot. Again. :evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom