US Forces kill Bin Laden.

Rithrandil

SasqWatch
Well, I'm sure we've all heard the news by now, and I figure there will be quite a bit of discussion about this, so - here's a thread for it.

I, for one, am damn glad we finally accomplished this. I know it doesn't end the war - and AQ in the Arabian Peninsula was more of a threat, but, here we are.

Nope. US Special forces killed him. We have his body, too.

he shows his birth certificate
and he claims the bounty of Bin Laden

although its all bull
guess we'll be getting bush jr's 4th term

hey i guess it makes all these wars and death worthwhile then right?

what economy...
what rights...
what planet...

oh and don't worry ghadafi they still want your head too--sorry dude

hopefully bin-laden gets reborn as a peaceful pakistani chef as i love me some
chicken karahi
http://www.desicookbook.com/recipe.aspx?recipe=125

I'm ok with it. He was sort of in a state of war against the US, and I suppose it would have been very difficult, even unwise, to take him alive.

I'm a bit unsure of the consequences:
1. The effect of US forces going into Pakistan on Pakistan-US relations and ultimately Pakistani relations to the western world. But for all I know there may have been some behind the scenes diplomacy.
2. The effect on AQ operations. I suppose in the short term we will see an increase in AQ attacks for revenge. In the long term - who knows.

But all in all I've no problems with it.

Says pibbur, who once again has posted on the scary P&R forums.

EDIT: I read in a local newspaper that there had been contact and cooperation between the US and Pakistan authorities.

Last edited:
So, another CIA employee retired?

Just in time we have new demons that we created to fight!

Thank god, we'd have to make more and that takes years!

I have an idea lets give weapons to everyone rebelling against the current governments in the middle east! Then in 10 years we can call THEM the devil make everyone afraid of THEM and go blow THEM up. Idiots.

Well, no matter how horrible a person someone was, I guess deaths is nothing to celebrate or feel happy for even if they surely deserved it. I feel a sour aftertaste when people are celebrating... especially regarding Gadaffi's son died.... I mean three of his grandchildren died too... perhaps their only crime was to be born in the wrong family?

Well, no matter how horrible a person someone was, I guess deaths is nothing to celebrate or feel happy for even if they surely deserved it. I feel a sour aftertaste when people are celebrating… especially regarding Gadaffi's son died…. I mean three of his grandchildren died too… perhaps their only crime was to be born in the wrong family?

No, that's just what happens in wars. People die. And the more important the people the higher the danger for them and their family. Nothing new there.

Concerning Bin Ladens death: I can't say that I'm sad.

Nothing accomplished. It's just a petty revenge kill for something that happened 10 years ago, despite having killed many times the amount of innocents as part of the revenge already.

Will the US withdraw their forces now? No. Will the terrorists somehow lose heart because their hero became a martyr for their cause? No.

Death is never to be celebrated; there's always a better way.

At the very least it's a psychological blow to Al-Qaeda, and they'll no longer have his guidance for planning new terrorist attacks.

For those who are criticizing, feel free to get off your high horse whenever you like. The only bad thing about this is that it's 10 years late.

At the very least it's a psychological blow to Al-Qaeda, and they'll no longer have his guidance for planning new terrorist attacks.

For those who are criticizing, feel free to get off your high horse whenever you like. The only bad thing about this is that it's 10 years late.

And what, exactly, has he organized/planned lately? It's been relatively quiet on that front in recent years. In fact, I'd say terrorism is going to flare up now, not calm down. And then, of course, we need more soldiers to perform more revenge killings and the whole thing escalates.

Ask yourself this: If terrorists killed Obama, would that prevent the US from killing someone, or would it lead to more killing?

The answer is simple, as killing always spawns killing. Never the other way around.

The future is hard to predict, but I don't see this doing anything but fueling the fire, long-term.

It's not like there's a lack of people pissed at the West and how we love to meddle and call the shots. I'd be surprised if there's not a new guy ready for the seat, and there will be plenty to support and encourage him.

Then sheep on both sides can continue in their blind support to those in power, and we can carry on slaughtering in the name of whatever.

I saw a comment on BBC just know. While Bin Laden hasn't been actively running the business, he has been a very charismatic leader, and as such not readily replaced. So while the immediate threat will be raised, there's no telling how the long term effects will be.

And @Dartagnan (maybe I misunderstand you) it is possible to support this or at least not condemn it without being a blind sheep. And @JDR it is possible to criticize without sitting on a high horse.

And @Dartagnan (maybe I misunderstand you) it is possible to support this or at least not condemn it without being a blind sheep.

Theoretically, yes - but if so, we're talking about a minority. Most people don't really know shit about that which they support. This goes for all of us, unfortunately. The issue is greater when we're talking active support and promotion of slaughter. The "sheep" aspect is about action or deliberate inaction. Ignorance is something we all suffer from, but I don't think we all act on it.

Sadly, I don't personally believe this can ever really be resolved as long as we suffer from ignorance on such a vast scale.

So, while I don't support killing people - I also can't offer any alternative except that we stop killing. Sadly, people are not stopping - so a defensive reaction is natural.

My solution is quite utopian and incredibly demanding of us all as a race, and I don't think people would be very supportive of the kind of initiative I'd want.

More or less agree with DArtagnan.

For once. ;)

What's interesting - in my opinion - is, how the "organisation" will think and react towards the democracy movements in Arabia …

AQAP and AQIM are pretty pissed off about the democracy movements, since it flies in the face of their "only armed resistance against Washington can remove dictators!" theory.

Ah, nice to see we can always count on some hugs-n-kisses folks to feel more pain for a dead terrorist than 3000 innocents. Some things never change.

Back
Top Bottom