RebelPlay, a new UK-based Indie publisher

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I hope this doesn't sound too much like an advertisement, but today I read in the UK-based magazine called "develop" about a new Indie publisher - they call themselves "RebelPLay", and they are described (in the sub-head line) as "the punk record label of indie games". The companhy is founded by one Leo Cubbin and one Phil Gaskell, who have been producers for "Sony Liverpool", the article says.

What makes me interested is their approach :

We're looking at the way games are funded", explains Gaskell. "We won't work in advances on royalties in general, to offer a more equitable share of the gin, and we won't push costs to the back end of a project - we will majke sure the funding is even and reliable for small or new companies that don't want their cashflow messed about".

They relate to the tiny punk record labels of the 80s which were tiny themselves, but game a lot of "tlented bands" a way to reacjh publicity - and some of them - the article says - with quite some success (Ive never been into Punk myself).

I hope they'll succeed with their project, as far as I can see it.

The article says near the end :

"RebelPlay has already signed two titles, but have yet to announce concrete details, only that they will appear on PSN or XBLA, or both. […] Gaskell recons the firm can publish around eight games per year - half on console and half on smart phones, tablets or social networks".

The lack of a mention of the PC market is intriguing. Imho this seems to indicate that they believe that "the PC market is dead" as well, or otherwise they would have mentioned the PC market as well, I suspect.

Alrik

Back
Top Bottom