Last game you finished, tell us about it

(Mental note: put DA:I on an SSD.)

My PC is a few years old, but this was pretty damn extreme. In the case of Skyhold I think it is a matter of all the adjustable clutter (thrones, decoration and whatnot) messing up loading times in that engine. I get the feeling all that crap is loaded separately from the area itself.

The game performs just fine outside of loading times and those consistent instances of stupid streaming at Skyhold.

I just finished Aliens: Colonial Marines

I'm not going to write much about it, as the game isn't really worth writing about. It was pretty much as bad as I had heard, but I still managed to enjoy some parts. It definitely helps to be a fan of the movies and to have very low expectations.

Recently finished Serpent in the Staglands.

I had an awful lot of fun with this game. It really hooked me into its world for about 65 hours all told and for most of those hours not a negative thought ran through my mind. In retrospect, of course, sitting back and thinking about the game, there were lots of things I might want to nitpick about, but, while playing, I was more concerned about exploring the intriguing world of the Staglands, my mind filled with stored memory of a dozen quests I wanted to resolve and new squares I wanted to investigate for no superior aim than sheer curiosity.

Which were the crappy hours? It went something like this:

1----------------------------------------------------------------------------65

Shitty- not bad-quite fun--awesome--loving this----------------shitty ending

Which I have to say is quite a common feature of pretty much every RPG I've ever played. There's something about this genre that almost demands the start and end of our adventure is a pile of crap compared to the wholesome nature of being level middle and stuck in the middle of a quest in the middle of nowhere fiddling with your inventory after killing a crazy beast on your way to some lore-important keystone.

Perhaps someone should make an RPG where you start in the middle of nowhere already on your way to a quest goal with a cluttered inventory and a crazy beast in front of you?

The game's primary point of interest is the Open World map with unbarred freedom to explore any nook and cranny you want in any particular order, your only barrier being your ability to defeat the level of monsters in that area, or, rather, your desire to keep yourself in safer combat zones. There's a linear plot that unravels as you explore, so it's the usual case of dipping in and out of the main plot mixed with random sidequests and casual wandering for the sake of wandering.

The world is large and full of variety and includes dungeon crawling, town politics, puzzles, small shrine/ruin areas and huge overland monster infested wastelands, varying in landscape with each location, such as snow, marshland, forest, farmland, plains etc etc. Some locations will disappoint you with their seeming lack of relevance and activities while other areas will be knee deep in monsters/puzzles/quests and all sorts of this's and that's.

The combat is intriguing and quite reminiscent of The Dark Eye's rule system of skills and talents while also combining some mechanics of old D&D cPRGs such as Baldur's Gate (being that fighter skills are all automatic passive abilities that don't require button mashing to perform). The difficulty scaling of the combat from hour 1 to hour 65 goes like this:

1----------------------------------------------------------------------------65

Really hard--challenging--efficient--kill most things easily--totally steamroll

Which, again, is pretty much an RPG standard, at least in the better cRPGs anyway. It's certainly no Icewind Dale with regards to quality combat throughout, but it's more involved than Drakensang: The River of Time, with more, and more interesting, fighting skills and spells to choose from. Like Drakensang, however, there are also non-combat skills to select which enable you to have greater interaction with the world around you.

Describing the combat in the specifics of detail is quite tricky, but the main points of fact are:

Isometric Real-time with Pause.
No Zones of Control or Attacks of Opportunity.
Fighter/Archer dominance.
Healing via one spell, possibly two (requires one character to not fight while performing).
Miserly magical items supply.
Spellcasting as and when needed if at all, adds spice but not often crucial or worth it.
Pretty good pathfinding.
Good range of weapon/clothing choices with some items degrading when used.
Different creatures/encounters require different tactics.
Can kill anything in the game without killing the game.
Close to perfect creature variety (some duplication).
AI will target weaker party members but not totally gang-up on them.
Drops are always worth a nosey, but not always worth lugging about.
Some equipment is only available via shops but you wont need to pick up every stick to afford them.
There's a fully unique cursing system available via an inventory item, but I never used it.
Other inventory items can be used in battle in combination with non-combat skill levels.
Both kiting and single enemy agro splitting is sometimes required.

I found the combat less interesting than Icewind Dale but more interesting than Drakensang: The River of Time.

Quests range from abstract random quests to official bounty hunting and to traditional good deed of the day and a host of other non-quantifiable whatnots. You are rewarded for poking into every possible nook and cranny and can miss out on some really useful quests by not doing so. I really enjoyed the quests structured like this and it's one of the best quest structures I've seen for a very long time. Most quests can also be solved by a variety of means, there's a lot of peaceful/violent outcome variants for having or not having a quest item.

You can play with entirely your own self-made companions or you can switch in-and-out game-world NPCs, of which there are many, many of them littered around the gameworld, again, some of the most interesting being hidden in the strangest of places! I went with 2 premades and 2 game-worlds and stuck with them the whole game, so I don't know much about any of them and didn't care. They don't really talk much, if at all, beyond intros and goodbyes, so it's no Balder's Gate 2, but it's more interesting than Icewind Dale if you like the concept of companions.

The music is mostly great with some exceptionally atmospheric pieces, but there are a couple of relative stinkers on a short loop. Mostly I loved hearing my favourite pieces come back when I entered certain areas. The gameworld looks fairly ugly with it's constant dark palettes and refusal to use bright colours, which is a pain when playing at midday wearing white as all you can see is your own reflection, particularly during a night-cycle. Weirdly enough, going to the map view also gives a much brighter and clearer perspective on an area, I have no idea why that view can't be the main view colour palette brightness. All-in-all though the game looks appealing and everything fits thematically with everything else, providing a solid and sustainable atmosphere which is not actually that unpleasant to look at.

Load times are too long if you have the game on your hard disk like I did, but I was invested enough to bare it, and there are lots and lots of loading screens, even when going into some buildings. There are plenty of micro-bugs, but nothing that was worth more than an eye-roll as far as I could tell. The only potentially game-breaking one I encountered was:

Some areas are restricted by a door that says "The door is locked by some form of unknown power", which means you need to "do something" to open them, often beyond simple key-finding. If, like me, you made one of your end-of-play save files inside one of these areas then, when you reload the save, the door will have locked itself again - basically trapping you there for eternity, the save not remembering you solved the door opening requirement. Luckily, an autosave a few game-minutes previous to my actual save saved me, but I could have been left with the dilemma of quitting or going back several hours of gameplay.

It might be worth it to remember to always save the game in the out-side areas.

All-in-all this is exactly the kind of game I wish there was more of, the kind of game I wish the AAAs would make every now and then, what I wished Dragon Age: Origins would have been more like, what Neverwinter Nights 2 would have been more like etc. It's by no means a perfect game and I could list umpteen issues I've thought would improve it (since stopping playing), but, as I said, while in the world they are just nitpicks mostly, nitpicks I'd love to chat about, but not things I'd bother with in a general post-play review.

My personal conclusion - not as good as Icewind Dale but better then Drakensang: The River of Time, though I thought the first 3 hours and last hour were forgettable tosh the inbetween 61 hours has left me with some truly wonderful cRPG memories.

Saint's Row 2. Not RPG but I play these kinda games sometimes to unwind. It was ok. I enjoyed doing the small tasks like being a bodyguard for some famous dude or delivering cars to chop shops. I had finished SR4 first though so storywise it made sense to come back to this game, just to understand who all the characters were.

Just finished Legends of Eisenwald. Totally loved the game. Here's a little summary.
The game is a tactical RPG. The story in short is basically you're the son/daughter of a Count on a trip to visit a friend of your father's. After playing the tutorial map, bad things happen and you set on a quest of vengeance/discovery. The flow of the game is similar to Heroes of Might and Magic with a Disciples/BG combat style, the flow goes that you play several isolated maps (scenarios) connecting the story like in HoMM. Like in HoMM, when you finish a map, you leave all or most of your accumulated troops/money/equipment behind and start the next map with your (now more experienced) main character and little else.

Combat can get a bit to get used to. Many times you'll be thinking it's an RPG and ask 'why can't I do this, doesn't make sense!', until you realize it's more like chess. In chess you don't ask "why can the Queen move 7 spaces at once and the King only 1? It doesn't make sense!', it's just the rules of the game, and when you realize the tactical combat is a mini-chess match, it all clicks. When you get a new combat screen, see the position and combat order of your members and the enemy's, you need to figure out a way to win the battle, and to do so in an efficient way. One of the challenges of the game is the 'war of attrition', as resources are many times restricted, winning 'pyrrhic battles' will soon leave you broke and unable to afford healing your troops before the next battle, so you have to learn to find the efficient way to win.

The game has plenty of choices and consequences. Do you want to betray this guy and take his moneys or let him live? There may or may not be consequences to every action, and those consequences may or may not be immediate (some things happen as a result of a decision you made 4 maps ago). It's more for flavor though, you won't "lose" the game if you made the 'wrong' choice (since really there is no right or wrong), but it's nice to see things reflecting choices you had already forgotten you made.

There isn't much character customization, remember this is NOT an RPG even though it resembles one. You can be one of 3 classes, the 'skill tree' is very shallow, and they all share 2 of the 3 branches, so only one branch is class specific, and it only has some 5 or 6 nodes total.

You can have up to 11 additions to your group for a max total of 12, these range from infantry guys (which can be specialized as defensive, offensive, pikemen), noblemen (which can be specialized as mounted knights or double-wielding duelists), ranged guys (which can be specialized into double-shooting archers or armor piercing crossbowmen), healers (which can be specialized into pure healers or witches) and finally religious men (which can be specialized into pure buffers or holy warriors). Don't get attached to them as most if not all of them will be gone after each map. Your companions are basically chess pieces.

It's also moddable, there are already some user created maps out there that I haven't tried. I wonder if users can also create full campaigns or just scenarios, hope so! If not, the wait for me may be too long for a sequel.

So in summary, great game! Hoping for a sequel soon!

Last edited:
So it's something similar to Might and Magic? I've only played fourth…loved it…especially the stories and it's medieval/fantasy music.
Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsHspvGT84

Might & Magic the RPG or Heroes of Might & Magic? In any case, not really. It's similar to HoMM only in that the campaign is a succession of scenario maps where the only constant is your main character. Combat is also sort of similar in that it happens in a tactical grid (much smaller), for example:

screenshot.legends-of-eisenwald.1280x720.2015-07-02.120.jpg

Might & Magic the RPG or Heroes of Might & Magic? In any case, not really. It's similar to HoMM only in that the campaign is a succession of scenario maps where the only constant is your main character. Combat is also sort of similar in that it happens in a tactical grid (much smaller), for example:

screenshot.legends-of-eisenwald.1280x720.2015-07-02.120.jpg

I like what I see on that pic. Allergic to total war gazillions of units on the screen.
Will buy when on sale.

Any pitchfork peasant infantry units? Never underestimate those. ( Geralt of Rivia)

Any pitchfork peasant infantry units? Never underestimate those. ( Geralt of Rivia)

There are, but you will only use them at the very start of a map to fill your empty slots with anything until you find better recruits. They're very cheap and abundant but they go down in like 1 or 2 hits, and they don't upgrade.

Legends-of-Eisenwald-Peasants.jpg

That's a shame. Peasants are cheap, but I hear they breed pretty fast to compensate, despite their lack of upgrade capabilities. :p

Well...finished "Alien Isolation" fina-lly...great game for those who loved the original. Strong atmosphere and visual design, very immersive and tensive, pretty solid crafting system (similar to Last of Us), ending a bit weak...overall, probably the best Alien game up to date, that I've played at least. AI can be odd at times...either not seeing you, or detecting you from a mile away, but overall no major gripes, aside from one, very unbalancing issue.

Shadowrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Definitely an improvement over the first game, though I don't think the formula has enough meat on its bones for such a long game. I was getting quite fatigued with the painfully slow combat and samey fights around the middle of the way through.

If only there was a way to speed things up, it would have been much more pleasant. Also, Karma rewards really should be part of combat, as the game is essentially 50% filler combat.

So, the added length ultimately worked against the game - where the first game seemed to have the appropriate length for such a shallow design.

I did appreciate the expanded party options, but given the limitations of the inventory and no hands-on control of builds, it wasn't enough to make the party control feel right to me.

The NPC quests were great, though, and I particularly enjoyed the Glory story and quest.

I found a character that I enjoyed somewhat, for the most part, which was a Decker/Rigger combo - even if the Decker mostly went to waste. I felt drones were fun and reasonably well implemented.

Ultimately, though, I really don't care for the character system, the combat system is too simplistic and way too slow, the exploration is predictable and limited, the inventory system a joke, and so on.

But the writing remains excellent, and unlike Dead Man's Switch, I felt it held up all the way until the end.

I was planning to play Hong Kong afterwards, but I must say I'm too tired of the formula. There's no character build that I really care to explore, and I doubt there's less combat and still too many grindy Matrix sequences - so I'll move on to something else.

I feel like it deserves a higher rating than DMS, but given my reservations due to length - I have to say they end up about even. It's improved, yes, but it's too long and not improved enough.

7/10

I don't remember Dragonfall having that much combat in fact felt that lot more fights where skipable than I original campaign.Although I did play with shaman(playing Hong Kong with same class) which starts with high charisma and few etiquettes.

I don't remember Dragonfall having that much combat in fact felt that lot more fights where skipable than I original campaign.Although I did play with shaman(playing Hong Kong with same class) which starts with high charisma and few etiquettes.

Keep in mind that I have a low tolerance for combat as content. I realise most people enjoy fighting as the main ingredient in this kind of game.

For me to enjoy combat throughout, there needs to be an evolution of my arsenal that's significant - and I despise waiting as I watch countless enemies moving into place over and over again.

It's like they deliberately slowed the pace down, though I know it's just because of the terrible engine made in Unity.

I did appreciate being able to skip the occasional fight, but unfortunately it wasn't common.

I still think I'd enjoy these games more as pure adventure games.

Metal Gear Solid V - Ground Zeroes

This is the introduction to the very soon to be released full game Phantom Pain, and I bought it because of the rave reviews the full game has been getting. Even better than Witcher 3 at this point, which is pretty crazy.

I'm a huge fan of stealth games, but I don't particularly care for Metal Gear Solid - though I've never played any of them much. I've tried a couple, and I don't quite know what's wrong with them, except that they're a bit too melodramatic and too full of cutscenes for my tastes.

This one wasn't so bad, though - and it's slick and pretty. I don't care for modern military settings - but the actual gameplay seems strong.

As the full game is supposed to be very sandboxy, I couldn't resist giving it a go.

It's very tight and the combat/stealth is fluid and fun. The interface is pretty bad, though, as it's one of those typical console-origin-so-keyboard-only-in-most-menus things, which I hate.

But it has some of my favorite ingredients, including audio logs and tranquilizers :)

It didn't take me more than an hour to complete this level, which is pretty horrible value-for-money, so I recommend getting it on sale or cheap in some other way.

Shows promise, though.

7.5/10

Metal Gear Solid V - Ground Zeroes

This is the introduction to the very soon to be released full game Phantom Pain, and I bought it because of the rave reviews the full game has been getting. Even better than Witcher 3 at this point, which is pretty crazy.

I'm a huge fan of stealth games, but I don't particularly care for Metal Gear Solid - though I've never played any of them much. I've tried a couple, and I don't quite know what's wrong with them, except that they're a bit too melodramatic and too full of cutscenes for my tastes.

This one wasn't so bad, though - and it's slick and pretty. I don't care for modern military settings - but the actual gameplay seems strong.

As the full game is supposed to be very sandboxy, I couldn't resist giving it a go.

It's very tight and the combat/stealth is fluid and fun. The interface is pretty bad, though, as it's one of those typical console-origin-so-keyboard-only-in-most-menus things, which I hate.

But it has some of my favorite ingredients, including audio logs and tranquilizers :)

It didn't take me more than an hour to complete this level, which is pretty horrible value-for-money, so I recommend getting it on sale or cheap in some other way.

Shows promise, though.

7.5/10

Do you know if the Ground Zeroes compaign is included in Phantom Pain? Or are they separate? I seem to remember hearing that Zeroes was supposed to be a demo-prologue-early tast of what Phantom Pain will be. But I'm not sure if they both contain unique content on their own.

Do you know if the Ground Zeroes compaign is included in Phantom Pain? Or are they separate? I seem to remember hearing that Zeroes was supposed to be a demo-prologue-early tast of what Phantom Pain will be. But I'm not sure if they both contain unique content on their own.

I'm almost certain they're separate, as they charge a relatively high price for Ground Zeroes - and it would be pretty nasty if they decided to include it in the main game for free.

If you buy the full game from steam then you will get Ground Zero for free but the full game on steam is £45 so nobody on their right mind will buy from steam directly ;)

Back
Top Bottom