RPGWatch Feature - In Defense of the Subscription-Based MMO

Beside the grinding the reason why I do not play mmorpgs is the time I have to invest in it.

I like my games smaller these days, then I can enjoy more variation. Well a good mmorpg has regularly updated they can't really change the setting and mechanics easily.

Edit: the only multiplayer games I have enjoyed were q3, it etc.

Even cooperative bg2 with friends didn't work out. And I'm a huge imaginary fan of cooperative gameplay

There's no goofing around, nobody jumping up and down like an idiot. There's no immersion breaking screen names like "xXPwnN00bsXx", no teenage boys awkwardly trying to gain the approval of their peers by spamming chat with hate and slurs. It's just us - the serious players and the mobs. The mobs don't stand a chance, because the players are working as a team.

Uhhhhh…. You sure about that?

Didn't think so! :p

Subby games like WoW are absolutely full of 20somethings (the equivalent maturity of a teen in the 80s?) jumping up and down like idiots, NEVER in character even on RPG servers, spamming chat, ANAL [thunderfury:blessed blade of the windseeker], forcing you to listen to them OOC on Vent to progress, getting kicked from raids cos someones mate came on, running bots to level alts, using every game casualising addon mod possible, catagorising players by gearscore, etc, etc, etc

I tell you, the list of distasteful attitudes and practices has never been greater than in a subby mmo.

Fact is there's nothing good about a subby at all...

OR anything good about MMORPGS! It's a stale genre of wow clones held back by latency issues from any evolution in gameplay that doesnt come with massive lag.

Certainly in my years of playing Everquest, I've ran into plenty of people as Sir James detailed above. What I never did is STAY near, or with, those people. If I was unfortunate to ever group with individuals like that, they immediately went on my "list of people to never group with again", and then I move on. Also, I make sure to tell anyone in my guild or people that I consider friends about others to avoid. With a minimum amount of effort, you'll find people with goals, desires, and play styles well within your tolerance.

I've heard countless theories on what games have the most morons, and almost none of them make any sense. Human beings are morons to a lot of people if those people don't understand or agree with them, so - in a way - the less tolerant you are and the less you know about the human mind, the more morons you'll encounter.

In my time, I've met a lot of people online I didn't care for - but I've always tried balancing that with the acceptance that we're all different. Unfortunately, I've found that to be a less common position than I would have hoped. In fact, I fear that it's the majority opinion that people are morons when they don't behave or act as you think they should.

The F2P model has no barrier of entry in the form of money, and they do tend to demand less of the player in terms of challenge - but the latter's more of a common trend not exclusive to this model.

The only real difference here is that if people don't have to invest any money, they don't really have to care about the game to play it. As such, you will find people less interested in the game and more interested in doing other things, such as being a pain in the ass.

Doesn't mean sub games don't have those people, oh no, but there's a readily apparent upped frequency with F2P games.

When I played WoW, I played as an "elitist" in that I focused on progression and, essentially, higher numbers on screen. But I never integrated that goal into my online persona, which is probably why I got to be "friends" with hundreds of people.

I also figured out that there were lots of people interested in raiding, and there was really no reason to stick with a guild whose leader or general attitude you didn't enjoy. As a result, I started out switching guild quite a few times - and drove my ex-GF crazy (as she sort of had to come with me every time), and I did that because I don't enjoy playing with people who put others down or who don't behave with what I consider to be common decency. Loot whoring, for instance, caused more drama than pretty much anything - as did guild leader primadonnas.

I also ran my own guild for a while with good success, and I made sure only to invite people with decency and who understood that they weren't the only one on the team. I could do that because I'd played on the server for years, and I pay attention to how people talk. As such, it was relatively easy to get a strong team going - and we had a fantastic time raiding for a while. We were one of the "best" guilds too, though we weren't really competing. I think we just enjoyed playing together so much, that success became sort of a natural result.

It's not like raiding is that hard, it just requires dedication and teamwork. That's all there is to it, really. The role of the individual is often extremely simple, even for the key players like tanks and healers. It's the pressure to perform that makes it seem harder.

That's why I never understood elitist behavior - because succeeding at a computer games is so utterly inconsequential, that I could never look myself in the mirror if I made my "skill" into more than it is, which is simply dedication and investment. If you do something you love for a long time, you'll be good at it. It's not rocket science, and it's not special.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that YOU are a big part of making the social experience special - and it's not always smart to focus on the other players as the problem.

I also enjoyed my previous time with Asheron's Call years ago, so I was eager to jump back into an online world where other real people were playing at the same time I was.

Oh, and I bought the "XP Stopper" item from the shop. That was a must for me. It stopped all XP gain and allowed you to play quests without over-leveling them, which was great for me. People thought I was crazy.."What, you're not trying to get to level 85 as soon as possible?!?!?". Nope. I was actually there to enjoy the quest content and play through a virtual Middle Earth. I feel the game delivered that extremely well and the free-to-play model never hindered my enjoyment - in fact, it helped my enjoyment because I was able to play the game for awhile for free and then spend money later, after I had figured out if I wanted to stick around or not. I like that option.

I also enjoyed the fact that others were sharing the same game space, and I really liked the "alive economy" that was dictated by the players. Very cool stuff that can only be found in MMOs.

Which server did you play in AC? I played that for a few years. I started on Leafcull but moved to Solclaim when that server came out. I enjoyed my time there even tho the game was horribly unbalanced.

I recently got to level 100 in LoTRO. Great game and it has a much better implementation of FTP than DDO. I even got the XP Stopper also as Moria was easily the best part of the game. I wanted to experience as much of it as I could. Gondor and Rohan were pretty uninspired tho. They just added The Dead Marshes area to the game but I have barely started it so can't report if it is any good or not. I'm pretty sure you need VIP to get quests in The Dead Marshes.

I don't mind FTP as long as its not pay to win. LoTRO did FTP pretty perfect I think. I always subscribe if I'm going to play a game but without the FTP start I would have never downloaded it. The same for DDO.

I don't see much of a difference in FTP character names compared to Subscription. I get around the dumb names by only playing on a RP server if I can. Choosing an adult guild/clan to join is important also.

I actually don't think one model is superior or work better than the other. I've played one of each models (WoW and GW2) and found that while WoW is sub-based it still has tons and tons of morons about and community is absolutely toxic (surprisingly I haven't really encountered trolls in GW2).

In my opinion, it's actually the encounter/boss fights that adjust player's behaviour, not so much whether it is F2P or sub-based.

WoW used to be so fun - you'd join a guild, build some sort of friendship during dungeons/raids/pvp and you really had to work together to make your time worth it. Now WoW is so casualised, all I see is some morons talking about how good they are because a lot of encounters now can be soloed (or require a lot less people than what Bliz recommends).

GW2 encounters are random, but granted, I've found them impossible to do on your own or just a small group of people, so naturally, players are encouraged to help each other out, and that makes the experience so much more pleasant. I just don't play GW2 anymore because I don't like the whole lack of "role" you play in GW2 (tank, heal, dps etc). I guess I got too used to WoW.

Maybe if it was one world, and that's it. With a limited number of players. And it periodically resets to blank. That way you are actually, like, playing with other people and doing stuff and not just grinding like a fool.

Or even do the same thing with multiple worlds but no world swapping. So it's kind of like a real world.

Just to re-iterate:

F2P isn't implicitly bad.
It's just implictily worse than a subscription-based model.

You can have a great game with a F2P model, and it'll still be a great game. But it won't be as good as it COULD have been.

This isn't necessarily apparent, and I guess it comes down to your experience with how the genre has evolved.

I mostly agree with the article. I currently have 4x subscriptions running (SWTOR, ESO and 2x WoW, as I'm also paying for my brother's subscription) and I have no problems with that. No fuss, no in-my-face advertising, no premium this or that. I don't have to make a conscious choice about which sections of the game I need access to this or that week. For those reasons, I prefer a subscription model over the F2P model even in games that support both (such as SWTOR).

One thing F2P definitely attracts, which the article mentions, is a lot of weird characters that run around the initial areas. Holy mackerel! The starting areas are almost always bad, but not like this. I made a new character some time ago in SWTOR and it was hopeless. Everything had to be explained over and over again. Being new to a game is one thing, but that doesn't excuse being a dimwit. Even WoW at its worst was never this bad.

Back
Top Bottom