RIP Alan Rickman

dteowner

Shoegazer
That's a shame. I just watched Galaxy Quest with my family the other day and enjoyed his performance, along with many other movies.

Wow same age and cod as Bowie, and only days apart. Rickman was the first actor I can remember that amazed me by actually acting rather than performing a role.

Farewell Severus Snape.

Never was able to watch any of the Harry Potter movies all the way through but he was great as Rasputin in Rasputin (1996) (the definitive interpretation of that role, imo) and was an extraordinarily memorable villain hiring Tom Selleck to exterminate Australian aboriginals in the severely underrated, much maligned Quigley Down Under (1990). If you haven't already, you need to see these movies, if for nothing else than to honor his memory.

Just saw the news. Snape dies again.

His most memorable performance to me was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Prince of Thieves though.

The fact that two 69 years old British celebrities died so close together of cancer makes me wonder about Greater London health risk though.

This is such horrible news.

Rest in peace.

Maybe it's just my unrefined palate, but he'll always be Hans Gruber in my mind.

Maybe it's just my unrefined palate, but he'll always be Hans Gruber in my mind.

I see him as both Hans Gruber and Severus Snape - both delicious interpretations of very different roles.

We just watched Die Hard over Christmas break ... And of course consumed ABC Family's latest Harry Potter weekend as well! (In spite of owning them on DVD).

Sad news again :(

Excellent actor, loved him as Metatron in Dogma.

Classic villain in Robin Hood too.

RIP

Very sad indeed. He was a great actor. I will always remember him as Severus Snape and the awesome boss in Love Actually.

Like most actors, he didn't get famous for the parts he liked playing most and area of the format where he had most interest. He started out in movies as a heartthrob in a romantic movies and when he came to direct his own movies this is where he returned to. On some forums there will be many a lady weeping into their handkerchief, but, unsurprisingly, the majority will just know him from the iconic roles.

01-14-16-rickman-1000.jpg
“Here’s to the best damned antagonist a guy could ask for.”

Benjamin Schwartz, a cartoonist for The New Yorker, channeled those two films with a fitting cartoon goodbye:

Upstaging Harry Potter, Maggie Smith and Emma Watson with barely any lines:

Back
Top Bottom