Audit the Federal Reserve

mudsling3

Sentinel
With HR1207 from the house, S604 from the senates...could the sunlight turn the Fed into a pillar of smoke.

Here is a utube to start for those are interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCs7eWKMltM&feature=channel

I suddenly don't expect to have find any ivory in lap dogs mouth...

Last edited:
What do you expect to find with such an audit? Shady deals? Welcome to Washington.

What do you expect to find with such an audit? Shady deals? Welcome to Washington.

Hehe ... so true. Is someone really expecting that there is some governmental agency that is a pillar of truth and justice? Sorry ... too many decades of cynicism ... I think there are good individuals, but institutions, worldwide, from charities to governments to corporations, are all by and large corrupt at some level.

Not sure why an audit would infringe on their independence. Having to get executive approval for policy decisions, which they already agreed to, is far more intrusive than an audit. I wouldn't want the boneheads in congress to "have a voice" in Fed policy, but a GAO audit doesn't seem out of line.

Benny will sit for the second term, but can he pull wools over everyone's eye by a law suit to block transparency

A federal judge on Monday ruled against an effort by the U.S. Federal Reserve to block disclosure of companies that participated in and securities covered by a series of emergency funding programs as the global credit crisis began to intensify

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE57O03P20090825

Good for them. This entire bailout where we were promised accountability and transparency has been totally a business-as-usual Washingtonian Kabuki show. It's sad when you have to sue the damn government just to find out who they gave all our money to.

I bet everybody up there hates the Freedom of Information Act with a passion.

I'm kinda surprised that such a creature ever made it through your political system. It's so completely at odds with the interests of anyone out there involved in drafting, let alone passing it.

(Oh, and, IMO they could've done a lot worse than reappointing Bernanke. Larry Summers, for example.)

I'm kinda surprised that such a creature ever made it through your political system. It's so completely at odds with the interests of anyone out there involved in drafting, let alone passing it.

(Oh, and, IMO they could've done a lot worse than reappointing Bernanke. Larry Summers, for example.)
I don't know how that one slipped through. AFA the Clintonista economists that might have gotten the job, especially Sommers who really wanted it, I have to agree.

We could do worse than Ben, I suppose. Pretty sad when I have to pine away for the days of Paul Volcker.

Don't worry, magerette. With the extra time bought with their legal wrangling, I'm sure they'll have a very pretty (and largely fictitious) presentation ready to go and any unpleasant documents safely shredded. ;)

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness--especially if you use it to start a document bonfire? :)

Here is a flaming arrow at Ron Paul in his hometurf

Paul and the Klan wrong on the Fed
"I sincerely hope the people of the district will either discourage Paul from introducing this legislation or vote him out of office because of the harm he is trying to do to our country. "
http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=64df109ac1632829

Ron Paul said the emperor has no cloth is what!! The reason banks are failing is because Ron Paul want to open FED book??

HR 1207, Audit the FED with 301 cosponsors in the house
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.01207:

Federal Reserve Policy Audit Legislation ‘Gutted,’
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=atc2o1ijLRno

Paul, a member of the House Financial Services Committee, said Mel Watt, a Democrat from North Carolina, has eliminated “just about everything” while preparing the legislation for formal consideration. Watt is chairman of the panel’s domestic monetary policy and technology subcommittee.

The bill(HR1207), with 308 co-sponsors, has been stripped of provisions that would remove Fed exemptions from audits of transactions with foreign central banks, monetary policy deliberations, transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee and communications between the Board, the reserve banks and staff, Paul said today.

The Paul Amendment passed! 43-26

Earlier today, Ron Paul and Alan Grayson sent the following letter to members of the Committee:

Dear Financial Services Committee Colleague:

It is encouraging to see the issue of Federal Reserve transparency receiving so much attention during this current markup. Today we plan to offer an amendment to the Financial Stability Improvement Act that expands on the many extant proposals to enhance Federal Reserve transparency. Our amendment is based on HR 1207, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act, which has broad bipartisan and grassroots support. The bill is cosponsored by 309 Members of Congress, including all Financial Services Committee Republicans and 13 Financial Services Committee Democrats.

The amendment removes restrictions on GAO audits of the Federal Reserve, as HR 1207 does, but makes a few changes to take into account some of the concerns that the Fed has made known in public testimony. Specifically, the Paul/Grayson amendment:

* Exempts unreleased transcripts and minutes from meetings of the Board and FOMC to address the Fed’s concerns that free and open debate in their meetings would be stifled.
* Sets a 180-day time lag for release of details of market actions the Fed has undertaken, to address the Fed’s concerns that Congress or GAO is second-guessing its actions.
* Removes boilerplate language that allowed GAO to make recommendations on monetary policy and adds a section stating that nothing in the amendment shall be construed as interference in or dictation of monetary policy to the Fed.

Unlike proposals that target the Fed’s 13(3) facilities, the Paul/Grayson amendment opens up the entire $2 trillion Federal Reserve balance sheet to a GAO audit. The Fed’s recent purchases of nearly $800 billion in mortgage-backed securities (MBS) have occurred under the MBS Purchase Program, authorized under section 14(b) of the Federal Reserve Act. This program, which is expected to reach a size of $1.25 trillion, would remain exempt from audit even if all the current 13(3) audit proposals were to go into effect. Targeting facilities that are in the process of being drawn down and that are authorized under a specific subsection of the Federal Reserve while allowing other facilities to spring up in their place is counterproductive to true transparency. All purchases and loans that appear on the balance sheet should be subject to audit, without loopholes for the Fed to evade scrutiny.

More importantly, the Paul/Grayson amendment does not create any additional burdens. Some competing proposals, while making a good effort at expanding the number of 13(3) facilities open to audit, take a step backwards by imposing new restrictions on GAO that are more burdensome than the restrictions currently written into law. We cannot accept these new restrictions. Unlike competing proposals, this amendment amends existing restrictions on GAO audit authority, a necessary precondition for a complete audit. Competing proposals leave these restrictions in place, and even add new ones.

We also reject the false dichotomy between transparency and independence. The Paul/Grayson amendment would achieve the necessary transparency of the trillions of dollars of Fed interventions while keeping Congress from directly intervening in the decision-making process. Independence should not be synonymous with secrecy. We urge our colleagues to support the Paul/Grayson amendment.

Sincerely,

Ron Paul, Member of Congress
Alan Grayson, Member of Congress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jd7E3Pno0&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9CcdiNs5F8&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for posting, mudsling. I'd heard about Grayson taking this up with Paul, but hadn't seen the letter. Good news, imo, that it passed. We need more oversight, not less, of all the money juggling going on.

Back
Top Bottom