Precursors - Coming to Gamersgate

Hmm, seems the gamelength is around 20 hours on average? Seems a bit low for a "freeform" space/trade/fps game….
I doubt. I've heard people telling around 50 hours. There are 250 quests.
Maybe it's 20 without side quests.

If someone does go ahead and purchase the games from Gamersgate, then please let us know whether or not these are true English translations. Thanks.

The sound archives are smaller than the Russian version. 360MB against 1.8 GB from the Russian version. So that probably means that a lot of content is unvoiced but it's a true english version.
I'm also still waiting for more feedback before deciding to buy.

EDIT: At the official Deep Shadows forums they are stating that it's english voices, at least with Xenus 2.
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1560

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind hearing observations and reactions from folks who get either one of these, too. Precursors looks interesting and so does White Gold. I was a bit of a fan Boiling Point, even though it was buggy as hell when I got it right after release. Waited a while but not sure I ever played a fully patched version.

By the way, I couldn't find manuals for these two. Looked like Gamersgate didn't have any either. Here are a couple links to walk-through guides. CAUTION: If you don't want spoilers, just read the top part for keyboard commands and short general explanations of the game mechanics:

Precursors:
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/111/1114457p1.html

Xenus II (White Gold: War in Paradise):
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/109/1099735p1.html

It seems that there are some problems with Xenus II. Again, like Starpoint Gemini, it seems to be related with the DRM.

Does anyone know if Precursors has received any additional patching for this release (not language, but performance/gameplay)? I tried this game out several months ago, and it seems that the game has issues with ATI cards. I found fixes for the serious problems, such as screen flickering, but I always had performance issues, such as severe fps drops that occur randomly. I know that these problems aren't due to my computer because it more than exceeds the requirements by quite a bit and no other game has given me performance issues on this machine.

Anyway, any info on this would be greatly appreciated because I'm dying to play this game without crippling lag/fps drops and I'd buy it again for this version in an instant if the problems I experienced were addressed.

From what I've seen mentioned, in another forum, the flckering problem it's still there.
Unfortunatelly there is little information out there.

It seems that there are some problems with Xenus II. Again, like Starpoint Gemini, it seems to be related with the DRM.

This is important. Starpoint Gemini just dropped the DRM, but everyone might not do that. If you or anyone could let us know if the problems persist or are dealt with, I'd appreciate it.

I've subscribed to this thread, but maybe drop the Watch here an email or something, so they might post a news item, as it looks like this one is going to drop off the page soon.

Thanks much, Dhruin. Think I'll pick both of these up eventually, if they don't have some big problem.

Bought Precursors and messed around with it for about an hour.

It seems to have a lot of potential, actually - but it's a bit wonky and the translation/dialogue is pretty horrible.

I wonder what those russian patches include?

Thanks, as I expected. Will stick with patched Russian version and wesp unofficial English patch for now. He released new version 1.2 yesterday. Hope they will eventually release patched version on Gamersgate but I doubt. Maybe can wesp do something with incorporating patch v1.1 in GG version.

I have mixed feelings after playing a bit.

I find it incredibly annoying that I have to use the keyboard to select dialogue choices instead of my mouse. Also, I hate how dropping a weapon causes a "weapon crate" to magically appear. Was it really too difficult for them to figure out how to simply place items in the game world? Noticed some clipping issues as well.

I like the art style, and the vehicles I've used so far were fun to play around with, but overall I think it's very average, and my high expectations have me feeling a bit disappointed.

Yeah and that weapon crate will never go away even if you take the stuff you dropped. Not game killing but really annoying.

Both games are fun but so much that could have been better. And definitely shooters first and rpg's later. The faction system is better than most rpgs though ( I think).

Oh and if you bother playing either game...buy the weight carry upgrades FIRST. Trust me.

Back
Top Bottom