Skyrim Skyrim DLC Speculation [spoilers]

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
Have you come across anything in Skyrim that hints at DLC?

A number of NPCs comment about "bringing the war to the Thalmor," hopefully there is something to this.

Also I was traveling along a road in the Southeast corner of the map and passed beneath a sort of gate (a border checkpoint?) and then received the message "You cannot go that way."

I think it would have been leading to either Hammerfell or High Rock.

One more detail I noticed which screams "DLC" is that
Umbra does not seem to be in the game.

I would love the possibility of being able to kick some Thalamor butt :)

That road in the southeast corner leads to Morrowind. I believe there's another road somewhere that leads to Cyrodill. I have only found the Morrowind road myself.

As for DLC, I initially thought the Isle of Artaeum would be a good place to visit. Judging by the book, A Fragment on Artaeum, it sounds like a beautiful place. As for content there, it's home to the Psijic Order, so that would lead to doing quests and stuff for them possibly.

Another possibility is Azura's realm, Moonshadow (I think that's the name, don't quote me). It also sounds beautiful and for some reason I feel like there's a chance of it happening. However, the devs of Skyrim stated the expansion/DLC won't be as big as Shivering Isles I think, so a Daedric realm might be too big to do. Who knows though.

From what I understand though, Bethesda never hints at DLC in their games, it's always something far removed from the main game. They could have done it differently for Skyrim, but I haven't found anything that would lead me to believe that.

I personally would be so incredibly stoked to return to Morrowind, even if it's just the southwestern corner of Morrowind. I'm not sure what kind of content you would find, since Red Mountain blew up and the Argonians invaded. But it would be cool nonetheless.

I also hope the DLC adds new things for characters above level 50. New armors, new gold sinks (I hope there is a castle that costs 100,000 gold or something), new enemy types, etc. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Whatever the DLC is, I'm sure it will be amazing and will probably blow my mind. I can't wait.

:p sorry, I meant to say Southwest corner, by Hammerfell and High Rock

(that's what I get for disabling my compass in the .ini )

I can see lots of places for an expansion to take place at. The Thalamarr embassy plot line could be easily expanded, and some of the current dungeons are friggin HUGE, but only lighly populated. They could beef up and expound on those quite easily, imo. And yes, some gold sinks would be very nice, sitting on 200k gold with nothing to buy is boring!

Bethesda, feel free to amaze and astound me! Go!

-Carn

As for DLC, I initially thought the Isle of Artaeum would be a good place to visit. Judging by the book, A Fragment on Artaeum, it sounds like a beautiful place. As for content there, it's home to the Psijic Order, so that would lead to doing quests and stuff for them possibly.

Another possibility is Azura's realm, Moonshadow (I think that's the name, don't quote me). It also sounds beautiful and for some reason I feel like there's a chance of it happening. However, the devs of Skyrim stated the expansion/DLC won't be as big as Shivering Isles I think, so a Daedric realm might be too big to do. Who knows though.

From what I understand though, Bethesda never hints at DLC in their games, it's always something far removed from the main game. They could have done it differently for Skyrim, but I haven't found anything that would lead me to believe that.

I personally would be so incredibly stoked to return to Morrowind, even if it's just the southwestern corner of Morrowind. I'm not sure what kind of content you would find, since Red Mountain blew up and the Argonians invaded. But it would be cool nonetheless.

I also hope the DLC adds new things for characters above level 50. New armors, new gold sinks (I hope there is a castle that costs 100,000 gold or something), new enemy types, etc. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Whatever the DLC is, I'm sure it will be amazing and will probably blow my mind. I can't wait.

Yes, there are dozens of these different realms of Oblivion we haven't seen yet and Moonshadow sounds very cool; however

a twilight country of shades and half-thoughts that is inaccessible from Nirn, although this has not always been the case. It is a giant garden full of roses, holding such beauty that it makes mortals half blind.

"such beauty that it makes mortals half blind" kind of sets the bar a little high for the art team, don't you think?

I would also love to see Hermaeus Mora's Apocrypha, which is a sort of otherworldly library, or perhaps Hircine's Hunting Grounds.
I can see lots of places for an expansion to take place at. * The Thalamarr embassy plot line could be easily expanded, *and some of the current dungeons are friggin HUGE, but only lighly populated. * They could beef up and expound on those quite easily, imo. * And yes, * some gold sinks would be very nice, *sitting on 200k gold with nothing to buy is boring!
Bethesda, feel free to amaze and astound me! * Go!

-Carn
What more can we say about the Thalmor? The unique thalmor NPCs are rather interesting and all of their dialog and voice acting is top notch, designed to make them the perfect arrogant SOB's we would all love to beat up on in a DLC.

And yes, great idea about some expensive real estate. I'm sure there will be some fantastic house mods coming in January or February.

Going on experience with the first expansion in Morrowind and Oblivion, Tribunal and Knights of the nine, both are in tunes with the original game and have elements lightly touched in the original, I'm guess Skyrim's first expansion will be the same.

Based on that I'd say the biggest unfinished business in Skyrim is Elenwen and the Thalmor as suggested above, so my first guess so quest line where you restore the blades to there former glory and kick thalmor butt,

My second guess would be the falmer launching an invasion and you having to stop them, Blackreach was a cool place to explore but after that we don't really see the falmer some books seems to suggest the are planning an invasion to.

My 3rd guess would be working with Paarthurnax/greybead/blades and fighting new dragons threats, it would be sort of cliché but I could see it happen, or maybe you will have to stop dragons allying with the Thalmor so it could blend with guess one.

Besides those three the only other thing I can think off is a quest line with the forsworn but that's sort of a wildcard in my book.

I'd love to see a DLC called the companions and it'd just be fleshing out the current crop and/or adding new companions with much more depth. The only problem with my idea is that Bethesda doesn't have the best writing crew.

I don't see a need for new areas as the current landscape has several areas that could be filled in some more, if you have a plausible reason for it happening all of a sudden, ala Oblivion gates. The Falmer attempting to bring back the Dwemer could be a trigger for this type of content.

The Falmer attempting to bring back the Dwemer could be a trigger for this type of content.

After reading a certain book during the Thieves Guild Questline, bringing back the Dwemer would be the last thing the Falmer would want to do :)

I'd love to see a DLC called the companions and it'd just be fleshing out the current crop and/or adding new companions with much more depth. The only problem with my idea is that Bethesda doesn't have the best writing crew.

I would imagine if they put Emil Pagliarulo to work on some story arcs and questlines for a few new DLC followers he could come up with something really good.

This is the guy who wrote all of the best quests in the past few TES games, and supposedly over the course of a weekend, he heated up some mead and came up with the dragon language and the draconic lyrics used in the soundtrack.

Incidentally he also recorded the Unrelenting Force shout used in the gameplay trailer with his own voice.

I want to kick Thalamor butt myself so would love DLC relating to that. I hated them far more than the Dragons.

me too wgd! In the game, I'm a high elf and I hate how the Thalmor have dragged our whole race into the mud with their air of superiority. I'd love to infiltrate them and destroy their power base in Skyrim. I worship Talos and will restore the Empire to its former glory.

A war with the elves would certainly be interesting however that seems more like a full TES 6 game then a simple expansion. As a entire storyline of said war could easily be filled with such. I like the idea I just do not think a XP can do it justice it deserves.

More player housing I like that idea.

Also more types of monsters. Really seems aside from the zombie types, vampires, dragons, trolls, giants and a handful of wild animals there isn't a whole lot of monster variety.

Also more types of monsters. Really seems aside from the zombie types, vampires, dragons, trolls, giants and a handful of wild animals there isn't a whole lot of monster variety.

I certainly agree with this. For a game that was 5 years in development, you wonder what the art department/animators were doing. There are very few non-humanoid creatures and most of those are repeats from Oblivion.

You know, many of the Dwemer ruins are large enough to handle Giants. I wouldn't have minded seeing a more militant type of Giant infesting these ruins :)

I agree with the thoughts that, after so many years in development, the lack of monster variety is astounding. Add to that how vacant some of the dungeons are at release, and at times I wondered just how many people were working on Skyrim, and for how long. Not putting it down at all, but after winning I'm thinking of how much potential there still is in the game. I really hope the inevitable expansion delivers, and delivers some kickass content.

-Carn

I certainly agree with this. For a game that was 5 years in development, you wonder what the art department/animators were doing. There are very few non-humanoid creatures and most of those are repeats from Oblivion.

Tempted to say, they were spending all their time making 100's of repetitive fedex quests. But that perhaps would be a low blow. :p

On a serious note, I too really wonder. If I was a betting man I'd say most of the zots were burned was prob building the world, not so much making new content. As someone who was a beta tester and used the tool set for nwn2 I have to say just making one med sized area was VERY time consuming. And that was with highly polished, dumbed down end user tools. I can only image the man hrs it would take to build a 16 sqr mile map area, and then build all the internal areas on top of that.

I agree with the thoughts that, after so many years in development, the lack of monster variety is astounding. Add to that how vacant some of the dungeons are at release, and at times I wondered just how many people were working on Skyrim, and for how long. Not putting it down at all, but after winning I'm thinking of how much potential there still is in the game. I really hope the inevitable expansion delivers, and delivers some kickass content.

-Carn

I'd love to see either some DLC or good content mods involving Blackreach. That dungeon alone is bigger than Kirkwall :p

LOL they could beef up Blackreach ala Ultima Underworld, and do a huge expansion simply with that dungeon alone! I'd buy that in a flash, tbh. Also, in my 140 hrs of playtime so far, I believe I only crashed like 3 times in total.

-Carn

Blackreach was massive fun, but way too empty. I agree this could be expanded and my militant giants idea, would be a great start :) One of the few indoor areas where war-mammoths and their Giant riders would work. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to close all exits from Blackreach before the Giants can launch a campaign of conquest against the dragon-ravaged province. You must also destroy the Hive Queen who makes normal giants loook like hobbits :D

That road in the southeast corner leads to Morrowind. I believe there's another road somewhere that leads to Cyrodill. I have only found the Morrowind road myself.

Maybe, probably not though, the Fragment has been there since Daggerfall I believe, possibly only morrowind though. It would make sense given how you basically become a Psijic through the mage quest.
God no, that would be a complete and direct violation of the lore, for Azura's realm is the realm of dreams, and of the time between dawn and dusk, it's not for mortals to inhabit. The ones who do, are stuck there for eternity, and stricken blind from the beauty of it.

Eh, south west, is Typically Dres and Indoril territory, so Slave owners and Hlallu allies.
While I agree gold sinks are a good thing, make the castle be something like Raven Rock and you are approaching good gameplay.
If you say so.

Also, Harle, their toolset makes it incredibly simple to do outdoor scenes, having played with every iteration of it since Morrowind, and having played with the NWN and NWN2 toolsets I'd call the Betheda one better for making general content with, the NWN one makes it easier to do quests and actual RPG content.

Presently what it would take to make me purchase the DLC would be a decently sized dungeon, and I do mean that in the old school sense, IE at least 5 levels, expansive with multiple paths to transverse it, and a unique visual flair.

There were roughly 4 types of dungeons in skyrim, snow caves, caves, dwemer ruins and nord ruins. Almost all of them have a secret passage back to the front of the dungeon and all of them are basically a linear straight lines so much so that as I was playing it I took to calling them COMBAT HALLWAYS. Dwemer ruins didn't even look as cool as they did in morrowind, and just looked like modified ayelied ruins from Oblivion.

I did like the look of the underdark stand-in, Blackreach, even if it was just an upscaled cave meshe with glowy mushrooms sticking out of it. It made me think about what could have been though. Had they made each dungeon that complex and visually interesting. It was seriously the ONLY good dungeon in the game.

Back
Top Bottom