Dark Souls III - Stress Test

I don't know what to tell you except that I don't think twitch combat is the correct term.

This is what I said:

particularly fast paced or demanding when it comes to reflexes.

As in, sure, you need to react quickly in some situations - but not at all like games that truly challenge you in that way.

As I said, there are ways to justify it - if you insist that it has to do with "fast reflexes" and that Dark Souls is a game that generally requires fast reflexes.

Maybe it is, but that wasn't my experience with it or Demon's Souls. Maybe it's because I've played games like Ninja Gaiden and Quake 3 ;)

To put it another way:

Some people would call, say, Battlefield 4 an RPG because it has stats, levels and progression. Sure, it does have those things.

But is "RPG" the first thing that comes to mind?

Is "twitch combat" the first thing you think of for Dark Souls? If yes, then sure - I can go along with it.

I don't agree, but I don't fret about such things.

I don't know what to tell you except that I don't think twitch combat is the correct term.

This is what I said:

particularly fast paced or demanding when it comes to reflexes.

As in, sure, you need to react quickly in some situations - but not at all like games that truly challenge you in that way.

As I said, there are ways to justify it - if you insist that it has to do with "fast reflexes" and that Dark Souls is a game that generally requires fast reflexes.

Maybe it is, but that wasn't my experience with it or Demon's Souls. Maybe it's because I've played games like Ninja Gaiden and Quake 3 ;)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I must say though this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say you don't need fast reflexes to play dark souls.

Btw, I loved ninja gaiden, quake 3 is just a boring shooter though, IMO.:)

I'm still not sure about twitch combat though, what does that mean to you?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I must say though this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say you don't need fast reflexes to play dark souls.

Btw, I loved ninja gaiden, quake 3 is just a boring shooter though, IMO.:)

You're not good at the reading bit, are you?

I never said you didn't need fast reflexes, I said it's not PARTICULARLY fast paced or demanding in that way.

Games like Ninja Gaiden and Q3A (in multiplayer) DOES require PARTICULARLY fast reflexes and they're PARTICULARLY demanding in that way.

Some adventure games have a few QTE sequences or some small segment where you have to do something within a short time. Does that make them twitchy? Maybe.

I wouldn't describe them as such, though.

But, yeah, let's agree to disagree.

I'm still not sure about twitch combat though, what does that mean to you?

For me to describe a game as "a twitch combat game" - combat would have to be a primary component and it would have to be fast paced and demanding in terms of quick reaction times.

Something like Street Fighter, Q3A, or Witcher 3 would probably qualify.

To me, Dark Souls is relatively unique in that combat really ISN'T that hard - and most players - even casual gamers - would be able to master it if they bothered to learn the right patterns.

That said, I never completed Dark Souls - and maybe I'm not aware that a specific boss required a lot more than the others. But that still wouldn't be the rule - that would be the exception.

I did almost complete Demon's Souls, though, and it's all but identical in terms of pacing and combat.

You're not good at the reading bit, are you?

I never said you didn't need fast reflexes, I said it's not PARTICULARLY fast paced or demanding in that way.

Not sure why you needed to throw an insult in there.

So why would I need fast reflexes if the game isn't fast paced or demanding in that way?

No need to answer that as I'm sure it will come with another jab and I'm not in the mood right now.

Posting is becoming less and less enjoyable around here. ( not just this instance) I think I need a break.

Not sure why you needed to throw an insult in there.

So why would I need fast reflexes if the game isn't fast paced or demanding in that way?

No need to answer that as I'm sure it will come with another jab and I'm not in the mood right now.

Posting is becoming less and less enjoyable around here. ( not just this instance) I think I need a break.

I get annoyed when people keep "overlooking" what I'm saying. Would you rather I claim you ignored it? What other alternative is there?

You seem to struggle with the word particularly - and I don't know what to do about it. After repeating myself a couple of times - is it really a surprise that I react?

I've done my best to explain my position.

Your problem seems to be that I don't agree that Dark Souls is a twitch combat game. That happens - and there's no need to take that as anything other than a disagreement.

I do agree, though, that posting here is of questionable enjoyment these days. I've had that very same consideration myself.

Well, it doesn't hurt me to pick up a Dark Souls game next time it hits a big sale. I'm not sure what these have been discounted to, but the Winter Sale should knock it down quite a bit. Should I try 1 or 2? I don't own a controller, so which is easier with K/M?

P.S. I'll play a spell slinger, if that makes a difference.

Well, it doesn't hurt me to pick up a Dark Souls game next time it hits a big sale. I'm not sure what these have been discounted to, but the Winter Sale should knock it down quite a bit. Should I try 1 or 2? I don't own a controller, so which is easier with K/M?

Try DS 1 for sure…. you have to install a fan-made patch though otherwise it is unplayable….. it is a straight forward thing though it even has an installer. But still if you think this is in-excusable ( which it almost is ) you should not buy.

Last edited:
I get annoyed when people keep "overlooking" what I'm saying. Would you rather I claim you ignored it? What other alternative is there?

You seem to struggle with the word particularly - and I don't know what to do about it. After repeating myself a couple of times - is it really a surprise that I react?

I've done my best to explain my position.

Your problem seems to be that I don't agree that Dark Souls is a twitch combat game. That happens - and there's no need to take that as anything other than a disagreement.

I do agree, though, that posting here is of questionable enjoyment these days. I've had that very same consideration myself.

Ahh, well if you guys keep having such a long argument about such a small and stupid thing, I don't think it is enjoyable for anyone :p There are such a thing as a middle-ground, combat is a little twitchy, can't you guys both agree on that ? And let us move on to make more fun posts, about ehhh DArt being right or wrong....

Now you did it GG! I see wall of text coming why it's not about DArt being right or wrong and that he doesn't really care but, sorry, it has to be said that he is right all the time and it's not his fault that some people are just too dumb to see it… :lol:

Ahh, well if you guys keep having such a long argument about such a small and stupid thing, I don't think it is enjoyable for anyone :p There are such a thing as a middle-ground, combat is a little twitchy, can't you guys both agree on that ? And let us move on to make more fun posts, about ehhh DArt being right or wrong….

Sure I can agree about that ;)

zahra IS too dumb to see a whole lot of things, though ;)

:biggrin:

I´d highly recommend getting Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin over the predecessor.
DS2 plays just fine with k/m once you rebind some keys, without the need for fan patches.
Moreover, it provides quite notably more interesting and varied experience for spell casters (more and more varied spells, weapons/shields with spellcasting abilities).
It´s also a bit more straightforward in terms of providing you with spellcasting arsenal, whereas DS1 locks some of the crucial vendors in places that are rather easily missed on an unspoiled first-time playthrough.

DS2 SotFS is also a lot bigger than DS1 and levelling comes at a bit faster pace which means you can quite comfortably branch out into another spell school if you feel like.

==

While I´m at it, even though I don´t want to get into the "twitch-or-not" debate per se, I think it bears pointing out that Souls games support multiple play styles and these can rather substantially differ in terms of required/encouraged "twitchiness".
Characters built towards dodging with little protection certainly tend to be more demanding on fast reflexes than heavily armored ones liberally relying on shields, characters utilizing fast weapons (especially when geared towards high counter damage) tend to play twitchier than characters relying on slow heavy hitting stuff, ranged characters (spellcasters mostly, though in DS2 bow-only characters are viable too) are in general less demanding on reflexes than melee ones, etc.

Anyone who wants to have own reflexes challenged can play the way which should facilitate it, but for anyone who necessarily doesn´t there are various ways of mitigation, after all the combat in these games isn´t just action - it comes with the RPG aspect too :) (which, among other things, includes building own character towards the intended play style - trying to play a "high-twitch" character with equip load causing slow roll or slow stamina regeneration is not a particularly good idea and so on).

I suspect that at least partially some of the twitch-or-not debates stem from ignoring/forgetting the above. Obviously everyone has different thresholds for what is or isn´t reflex-demanding, but that´s besides my point.

Last edited:
dark souls 1 is better than 2 in every aspect, except everything related to the optimisation :D

Dark Souls 2 is simply the more refined game from a mechanics perspective. It improves on pretty much everything over its predecessor. The only mechanical change I dislike is the being invaded while hollow bit, but co-op/duel matchmaking is easy as pie.

DISCLAIMER: No, Dark Souls is not a perfect game, it has a lot of problems small and large. I'm still talking about storytelling in it.

DArtagnan, please don't twist my words, I wrote:

Almost everything has a very good reason to be where it is, and every location has history.

And not:

...every room has a story purpose on the same level as the games I mentioned...

or whatever else you attribute to me. I can never say if you're deliberately doing this, or just have issues with reading comprehension.

And yes, every location has history in DS, which sometimes includes individual rooms telling a story (like you claim Bioshock has, which is a blatant lie, because most of the game is spent shooting at stuff in railroaded action areas), and sometimes rooms are just rooms and corridors are just there to connect them. But locations in general have a detailed history, which is important to the story (read developer interviews if you don't believe me).

Story is not just "obtuse lore" sprinkled around. If it was, it would make no sense, but instead, a very enthusiastic online community grew around it, interpreting story bits and sharing discoveries. They make up a cohesive whole, with some holes in it left for you to fill (more in the motivations/small details area).

As for complaining about sparkly item nodes over corpses, it's a technical thing (or rather, a quirky tradition now), but it has nothing to do with story told through environment. In the same vein, you could complain that 2D pixel art games all tell shitty stories, because pixels look bad.

To the other bullshit claims you had: yes, anyone can recite the story/plot of DS1 who paid attention a tiny bit; no, you don't need to watch videos to get into it, but it inspired a lot of videos that could make it even more interesting; just because you haven't met anyone who can relay it doesn't mean it's not possible (I don't know what it means, maybe you don't talk to the right people?).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you, just putting this here for the record, before members here read your comments and take it as fact. After seeing you have Lords of the Fallen (super boring audio logs that build up the most cliche dark fantasy story ever told) and Bioshock Infinite (which is taught as an example of convoluted story and terrible story pacing at gaming writing courses, while Dark Souls's storytelling method is hailed as groundbreaking by many writers and designers of the industry) as examples of good, satisfying storytelling in games, I don't think we'll every agree in this field.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you, just putting this here for the record, before members here read your comments and take it as fact.
You have absolutely nothing the fear there soul :)

It seems I've seen this exact same debate at least 4-5 times here in the past. DArtagnan doesn't think much of Dark Souls, and that's fine. I wish some of you would stop trying to convince him that it's more than what he thinks it is.

I had no intention of doing so, it'd be a full-time job. I even said so in my last comment.

For those interested, the stress-test went very well, even though this is a very restricted early build.

Back
Top Bottom