Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

D

Deleted member 18181

Gonna start a playthrough for this, are there any mods or must have mods/fixes? Or everything was fixed with the rerelease?

RoA remake? Honestly?
Get a refund if it's possible.

Cant, it was a preorder :mourn:
I kept delaying the playthrough but now with the delay of sword coast legends have some spare time and want to try it hehe

Haven't played it myself, but don't necessarily listen to joxer. His world is almost entirely binary - and there's little room for mediocre games of some merit.

I started playing the other day. I bought it in a bundle. Not sure why I wanted it. I had seen a lot of negative comments about this remake. It seems fine so far. I have only just completed the first town quests. Its clunky! I have trouble maintaining a steady frame rate. I have to play on low spec's, but my system is not very good. I suppose if you have it play it-you may like its quirkiness I would not suggest anyone go out and play full price for it. If you play it, let me know whether you can maintain the frame rate.

I might give it another shot someday. I know it's come a long way since I tried playing it at release.

It was definitely one of the buggiest and unoptimized games I've ever played.

What JDR said is true.
I tried, honestly, tried. Waited for patches, tried again.
The game sucks plain and simple.

It was one of those titles that played on nostaligia and succeeded, but because of whatever reason in the end it couldn't deliver.

Better to replay Drakensang and River of Time for TDE goodness; or DSA-goodness if you're German.

The Blade of Destiny remake offers some unique TDE goodness as well, though. It has a lot of nice ideas, even if they are just directly copied or influenced by the originals. It's a game worth playing but it does have some issues. However, if you want the TDE system in a very true-RPG sense than this game will deliver that.

The TDE World at least.

The System, as with older D&D Systems is pretty much outdated now (and also wasn't really good in the past).

They may be older now, but RPG systems like early D&D and TDE age like a fine wine, IMO.

Not too familiar with D&D after NWN2 (but till then imho D&D systems were horrible), but especially the old TDE system was and still is quite bad - especially for a computer game as it extremely luck based and strongly pushes you towards reloading a couple of times to "get it right". Otherwise you might end up with a Mage with more HP than your warrior and something similar.

The system used in Drakensang or Blackguards is much, much better from my perspective.

Well I simply disagree. I still love playing Realms of Arkania, Baldur's Gate, Drakensang, etc., and experiencing the older rule systems and implementations. They are all fun to play and exciting to see the different rules in action.

For RoA: BoD especially, there are some great ideas like fears and negative traits, lots of depth to the actual skill systems themselves (plant lore, animal lore, survival, etc.), great inventory management aspects (keep a blanket in your inventory so you don't freeze in winter, keep a rope ladder in case you have to descend a level, etc.) and more. I greatly enjoyed my time with the BoD remake for some of these aspects.

I think Fluent is right. RoA:BoD is bit like real life. It takes a bit of micromanagement and planning to stay alive. It needs patience so don't play it after a bad day at the office.

It's such a pity since blade of destiny is the one that really needed a remake. Star Trail, in comparison, has aged very well.

Back
Top Bottom