Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut Trailer - Story And Scale Trailer

I started out including a non-combat skills-focused character, but later found the companions you can add cover a lot of those loose ends. Anyway, the wide array of skills-based activities should provide more replay value. At least in theory.

Except for this sort of thing, I'd rather not replay. Instead I create a party that can handle all skill checks. Only time I replay is when the character builds or exploration paths are completely or nearly completely different. Examples include DMoMM and Diablo. Any repetition is almost too much for me. ESO is about getting there for me.

I can't follow your reasoning here, as I would say again that the skills in W2 are differing enough to be counted as separate skills. You can lump them together, it may even make sense to a limited degree, but the question would be why. Because not only are you giving the player the chance to invest heavily or lightly into skills, you're even giving them the choice as into what aspect of the skill (the theoretical "phat l00t skill") they want to invest.

I think his point is that, even tho the skills may be conceptually distinct, they're mechanically almost identical (in terms of gameplay). They're simply different icons you click on in order to get more stuff. Just because one chest or door requires an explosives icon-click rather than a lockpick icon-click doesn't change anything mechanically.

If different skills resulted in dramatically different gameplay experiences, that would be something, but the resulting gameplay is virtually identical for several skills.

There were several useless skills in the original game, I think they balanced it out.

Back
Top Bottom