The Bard's Tale IV - Kickstarter on the 2nd of June

As long as it is just like the first two games, and nothing like the third, I'm in, and probably in big/huge. I want an epic dungeon crawler, a dungeon with bottomless levels, puzzles, and a difficulty that will make kiddies cry.

What didn't you like about the third game? That was may favourite in the series?

I don't care for grid based or not (MM X and Legend of Grimrock are very good with it).
But I want 1st person party view!

In the RPS interview Fargo says "When combat starts, the camera will then pull back and your group will be represented on screen or with portraits… the play field is dynamically changing so that things are happening based on each turn. You might see the mage on the other side whipping up a spell that’ll take two turns for instance..."

He also mentions Hearthstone as an inspiration for how combat works.

In the RPS interview Fargo says "When combat starts, the camera will then pull back and your group will be represented on screen or with portraits… the play field is dynamically changing so that things are happening based on each turn. You might see the mage on the other side whipping up a spell that’ll take two turns for instance…"

He also mentions Hearthstone as an inspiration for how combat works.

Sounds like a lot of elements aren't finalized yet.

Ouch big mistake on my part, I meant the Bard's Tale that came out like 10 yrs ago, not Thief of Fate. So I meant I hoped it wouldn't be like the most recent one, the first three were awesome.

I didn't think much of Wasteland 2, so I'll probably wait till this game is released to buy. I could be persuaded with an amazing kickstarter campaign, but I wouldn't play the original series if it was released with Witcher 3 level of graphics. Times have moved on and the Bard's Tale game systems have all been improved upon by others. Getting lost and spun around in a dungeon and the automap turning off would just be tedious today.

Just no random teleporters on spinners in perma darkened areas. Mapping the first one was a pain in my a$$. I remember it took so long for me to find the guild where you lvl up that when I finally found it my party was around lvl 10 :)

Bard's Tale is the first RPG i remember playing (C-64). As long as its not grid based i'd be interested..
They said it will be both grid based and free move, but all areas will be designed with grid in mind.
Ouch big mistake on my part, I meant the Bard's Tale that came out like 10 yrs ago, not Thief of Fate. So I meant I hoped it wouldn't be like the most recent one, the first three were awesome.
They said it will be like first 3 games. The one from 2005 was like that because they didn't have the licence to make a proper BT so they made that

Not into blobbers but more of them is a good thing.
UE 4 is an interesting choice. I thought they pledged allegiance to unity.
Yes. Thought it odd indeed. Might have something to do with unreal's attractive licensing.

I have never played the bards tale so it isn't an immediate sell, I did receive bt2 for free I think. legend of grimrock isn't especially appealing to me. But if their pitch is good I'm in

Just no random teleporters on spinners in perma darkened areas. Mapping the first one was a pain in my a$$. I remember it took so long for me to find the guild where you lvl up that when I finally found it my party was around lvl 10 :)

Heh, that's one of the things I liked in the original games. But I won't insist - nor sure if I would like it as much now. Depends.

Pibbur who wonders if there will be herbs.

Last edited:
Can't wait to throw my money at it. I'm a little surprised on the engine they are using. I thought they would stick with Unity.

Yes. Thought it odd indeed. Might have something to do with unreal's attractive licensing.

I have never played the bards tale so it isn't an immediate sell, I did receive bt2 for free I think. legend of grimrock isn't especially appealing to me. But if their pitch is good I'm in
BT4 will have much better graphics, turn based combat that will be easy to learn and hard to master. At least that is what Fargo is saying.

This looks quite intresting. Even though I've enjoyed few blobbers, I must say though that i'm not the biggest fan of this sub genre. I would rather see and control my party's positioning while in combat. Still I will get this game naturally. Maybe I finally understand why few older members cherish those bard's tale trilogy games so much :)

Last edited:
I want to see the pitch.

I enjoyed the hell out of the original 3 BT games way back when. Winning BT2 remains one of my proudest gaming accomplishments to this day -- that game crossed the line from 'insanely difficult' to 'actively sadistic'. Granted, that was more fun back when I was 16 than it would be today.

A lot will depend on what aspects of the game they plan to modernize. If they increase the graphical quality, enhance the narrative elements and worldbuilding a bit, keep the deep character development and combat systems, add some solid puzzling, and ditch the outright sadistic elements then they'll have a winner. I really enjoyed MMX. If inXile can produce something like that, only more so, they'll have my money.

I don't think 1.25 million is so much to be honest…
The budget is al least 2.5 million. Fargo mentioned that they would invest 1.25 million themselves.

I really hope this kickstarter is a huge success. In my opinion inXile, Obsidian and Larian have all delivered fantastic on their first kickstarted games. inXile & Larian both just announced free big updates to Wasteland 2 & D:OS too showing they're supporting us RPG lovers right back.

I'm not giving any company a blank check but I'll definitely be supporting any kickstarter from any of these 3 companies until they drop the ball and I lose my faith in them.

I didn't really like wasteland 2, despite really wanting to, but bards tale was one of my first crpgs back on the c64 so I'm in for this. Just, you know, easy on the annoying teleporter riddles eh....

The budget is al least 2.5 million. Fargo mentioned that they would invest 1.25 million themselves.

Yes, I know...I was commenting on another poster who said they were asking a lot....I think they will easily make that.

Back
Top Bottom