Momentous pictures:

@Zaluekos: Berlin wall, right? I never knew it had a Greek facade, though.

Yep. The fall of communism in Eastern/Central Europe is the most important event in my lifetime around my neck of the woods and I always get teary-eyed when I see footage from -89.

The Brandenburg gate was built in the classically inspired style that was so common during the 18th and 19th centuries. It's inspired by the same fashion trend as Capitol Hill;)

I have to say I am *just* old enough to remember the Berlin Wall coming down. I was about four and a half when it happened, and I was watching it on TV. Impressive stuff.

saturn_cas-757960.jpg

revoluce.jpg

beksinski01.jpg

wizardry7_3m.jpg

Etc, etc :).

Very nice Deep-O. What's the one with the 1989 date?
@Zaleukos and Prime J--thanks for the history. Many big cities here also have that type of architechture--it's just that when I think of the Berlin wall, I visualise, well... a wall. :)

@JDR--Okay I reread the article. Got it--finally. :)

here's one I've always liked, and it does indeed make you feel small:
storm-team2.jpg

Very nice Deep-O. What's the one with the 1989 date?
@Zaleukos and Prime J--thanks for the history. Many big cities here also have that type of architechture--it's just that when I think of the Berlin wall, I visualise, well... a wall. :)

It was a wall; the Brandenburger Tor was nearby on the Eastern side, and got caught in the background of the photo. Here's Saint Ronald making his famous "Tear down this wall" speech near the same spot. Note the USSR flag at background left.

Reagan_vor_dem_Brandenburger_Tor.png

The wall carved a path straight through downtown Berlin. I dont remember how the no mans land around the wall was, but I doubt the "civilian" parts of West and East Berlin were more than a hundred meters or so apart.

My favourite photos of the events show thousands of people just walking past the border crossing (after realising that the guards wouldnt open fire) to celebrate, with the resigned guards watching, but I couldnt find one of those.

EDIT: I visited Germany in 1990 and it felt like the country was radiant with optimism. Reunification and being world champions in soccer both contributed, and the early 90s crisis hadnt kicked in yet.

Last edited:
I've been in Potsdam a few years after The Fall.

I remember that the remainds of the border were still there, and one day I was taking a bicycle tour along the border around Potsdam. It was ... giving me a strange, unpleasant feeling.

For those who don't know about Potsdam : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

It sometimes blows me away by what we are capable of. Thanks, arhu, for those pics. It was truly amazing.

And now begins part 2 of the news media frenzy "A BLACK HOLE IS FORMING. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!"

Back
Top Bottom