Microsoft - No More Forced Win 10 Installs

Aubrielle

Noveliste
It seems Microsoft has finally gotten the hint. After a $10,000 lawsuit over a forced Windows 10 installation, Microsoft will no longer be hoodwinking us into forced installs.

You might have heard the recent news about Microsoft losing a lawsuit and awarding a California lady $10,000 over an unwanted Windows 10 installation. While the tech giant can be mighty persuasive when it comes to making people install and download its Windows 10 operating system whether they like it or not, this news still came as a surprise for many—there are many companies with shadier practices, and most of them are hardly penalised for it.

Perhaps fearing that this would spark off a series of lawsuits it can’t keep up with, Microsoft has decided to stop forcing the Windows 10 installation down its customers’ throats by allowing them to dismiss the upgrade. Previously, if you click on the red “X” at the top right hand corner of the upgrade prompt, Microsoft will pretend that you are playing hard-to-get and download the operating system for you anyway. Now it won’t!

Since we introduced a new upgrade experience for Windows 10, we’ve received feedback that some of our valued customers found it confusing,” said Windows and Devices Group EVP Terry Myerson to The Verge. “We’ve been working hard to incorporate their feedback and this week, we’ll roll out a new upgrade experience with clear options to upgrade now, schedule a time, or decline the free offer.

Ah, thank you for making our computers less complex to use, Microsoft. We are glad you understand that no means no, and clicking the big red “X” on the prompt means “No, I really don’t want to upgrade now, and please don’t ask me to upgrade to Windows 10 ever again for as long as Microsoft exists.”

But juuuuust in case you change your mind, the free upgrade offer will only last one more month. After that, you have to fork up $119 for the operating system.
More information.

Well done to the California lady. Way to stick it to the Man! :shakefist:

When they start charging for it, will they remove all the spyware, analytics, and malware? Corporate "Freeware" is paid for by data collection and windows 10 is no different. Why should people pay for it twice?

I have a page long list of telemetry and windows 10 updates that are removed/banned from my windows 7 (which still works very well, thank you).

If they ever get around to making an innovative and improved file system, I will become interested in changing my OS.

The latest piece of Microshaft chicanery involves them cancelling the Xbone Fitness software. No refund and no access. That gives me pause about purchasing any MS software via streaming services. There's still something to be said for owning physical media.

Will be at least 4 years for myself. If linux gaming catches on by then - never. I run linux mostly and just use windows for turn key games. 4 years is a long time. The only other thing I would use windows for is window media center (with homerun prime); but they killed that on windows 10 so there is very little reason for me to consider windows 10 (other than if that is the only way to play games in 2020).

At the company I work for the only reason they stick with windows is administrative assistance refuse to learn how to use a calendar above and beyond exchange. Pity such a small thing can force an entire company to stay on windows.

Eh you'll all be on Windows 10 in a year or three. ;)

Well they will keep content available for 1 more year (july 2017); but yes it is very bad esp given the price point and I would expect legal action. EA done the same thing. Anyway you all know which company to avoid 'license' content as oppose to 'purchased content'.

The latest piece of Microshaft chicanery involves them cancelling the Xbone Fitness software. No refund and no access. That gives me pause about purchasing any MS software via streaming services. There's still something to be said for owning physical media.

Everyone realizes that eventually to do anything with their PC they will have to upgrade, right?

It's basically, do you want to pay for it later or get it free now.

And yes I realize Windows 10 is both not ideal and… unavoidable. I'm a pragmatist.
Or we get it for free later. I have been using pirated windows since beginning of time and I don't plan to stop any time soon. And still I don't want that malware called win 10 on my computer.

And yes I realize Windows 10 is both not ideal and… unavoidable. I'm a pragmatist.
This is not true. When eventually Windows 7 drops out of support, the newest Windows might indeed be called Windows 10. But it won't be the same OS as the release Windows 10, and not even the same OS as current day Windows 10.

So Windows 10 is unavoidable (if you want Windows), yes, but current day Windows 10 is perfectly avoidable.

I have about 2 years left on current PC so gonna wait and it will be free on new machine

To think it only took 1 lawsuit for Microsoft to back down /s. If this is the only metric by which Microsoft listens to its community then its troubling.

To think it only took 1 lawsuit for Microsoft to back down /s. If this is the only metric by which Microsoft listens to its community then its troubling.

It may not be really related to lawsuit. It can be a coincidence. But who cares actually about 10000 dollars when it comes to 1 billion users. I would suggest to stop with resistance and upgrade your laptop as soon as possible. And yes, you get one problem or another with new OS. New boots are always different from the boots that you have for years, so please do us a favour and spare your readers about details how uncomfortable you are feeling yourself with Windows 10 :) . 350 millions of people have already done it. Last month Windows 10 has got 30 millions more if I remember it properly.

It may not be really related to lawsuit. It can be a coincidence. But who cares actually about 10000 dollars when it comes to 1 billion users. I would suggest to stop with resistance and upgrade your laptop as soon as possible. And yes, you get one problem or another with new OS. New boots are always different from the boots that you have for years, so please do us a favour and spare your readers about details how uncomfortable you are feeling yourself with Windows 10 :) . 350 millions of people have already done it. Last month Windows 10 has got 30 millions more if I remember it properly.
You mean 350 mil had Micro$oft do it automatically to them no matter if they want it or not.
If Micro$oft is so keen to get everyone to upgrade that is just one reason more to stay away.

Do not worry. Just try a fresh Windows 7 with SP1 install...You will have a nasty surprise. The updates will hang forever...The "problem" appeared right before Win10 launch. So, yeah, definitely a coincidence. Same thing was reported for other old operating systems.

No, I was talking about different things. Please re-read my post.
No you didn't. You used number of people using Win10 to boost your argument and I destroyed it with my post.

Back
Top Bottom