Wave of Darkness - On Early Access

I'm literally blown away by your generosity and enthusiasm, guys. This is just, I have no words :)

@Cthulhufan, EVERY kind of good suggestion is incredibly valuable for us because we take each and every suggestion into consideration, and try to implement it into the game.

But, here is what we really need at this time because we don't have an English speaking person here.

I have contacted crpgnut for an advice regarding the voiceover proposition, and here is the thing:

Since Wave of Darkness got onto Kickstarter, we were thinking about doing the "Developers Play" videos, in order to give new players a glimpse of what can they expect in the game, guide them through the basics of the gameplay mechanics, explain them the features etc.

The main issue with our idea is that we all sound like "Crazy Ivan" in English :-D

So, here is what we had in mind:

We would record several videos of the gameplay, while we would ask you to record an audio voiceover about what is going on in the video. Basically, we would send you a text, and you would record an audio voiceover, and send us the WAV file, which we would then mix into the video.

Regarding the compensation for your work:

We can offer you the bundle of all of our titles, including Wave of Darkness, and your name in the credits. If you have a friend who would want to play the game, we can give the codes for him too.

Would any of you guys be interested in that kind of collaboration?

I'm literally blown away by your generosity and enthusiasm, guys. This is just, I have no words :)

@Cthulhufan, EVERY kind of good suggestion is incredibly valuable for us because we take each and every suggestion into consideration, and try to implement it into the game.

But, here is what we really need at this time because we don't have an English speaking person here.

I have contacted crpgnut for an advice regarding the voiceover proposition, and here is the thing:

Since Wave of Darkness got onto Kickstarter, we were thinking about doing the "Developers Play" videos, in order to give new players a glimpse of what can they expect in the game, guide them through the basics of the gameplay mechanics, explain them the features etc.

The main issue with our idea is that we all sound like "Crazy Ivan" in English :-D

So, here is what we had in mind:

We would record several videos of the gameplay, while we would ask you to record an audio voiceover about what is going on in the video. Basically, we would send you a text, and you would record an audio voiceover, and send us the WAV file, which we would then mix into the video.

Regarding the compensation for your work:

We can offer you the bundle of all of our titles, including Wave of Darkness, and your name in the credits. If you have a friend who would want to play the game, we can give the codes for him too.

Would any of you guys be interested in that kind of collaboration?

Ah good! Glad you made this public. Even though I harass him constantly, Fluent might be a good fit for this. Why? He doesn't work currently, he does tons of Let's plays on youtube and so he has all the audio stuff set up and knows how to use it. Couchpotato might be another good fit. While I could do it, it's not a passion of mine, and I work a ton of hours. Other good fits would be someone else who speaks Croation and English but has an American or British accent :)

If nobody else offers their services, I will do it for you but wouldn't want to take an opportunity away from anyone. I'm from the Midwest so I sound like an amateur Bob Costas or Joe Buck (for the sports fans out there) :)

Just for the record, crpgnut is my first choice since he proposed the idea :)

But since he has a lot of work and duties, and is a great guy altogether by giving an opportunity to someone else, I'm all ears :)

You will have a shitstorm of epic proportions, the like of which has never been seen…. if you make Fluent voiceover the whole game.

EDIT - Ok, I didn't read carefully enough. I thought you were looking for voiceover for NPC's in game. I'm still laughing at the thought though :)

I think Fluent would be a good choice to do a voiceover. He has a perfectly good voice on his YouTube vids, he loves old school RPGs, and he might well appreciate the opportunity. Maybe PM him?

i just like the name.

"wave of darkness", yes please

i have too big a backlog, wishlisted it for now

Hello, Iggy

If you seek for some constructive feedback I think you can get it here… Along with humour, of course. :)

Regarding the video, our goal wasn't to make it "sexual", but rather intentionally cheesy and funny. It's all about the matter of taste, either you like it or not :)

I think it was ok. And as I tried to say in a mildly amusing way - Ubi did the same thing with Jade Raymond. In terms of promo we should learn from the best, right? :biggrin:

crpgnut said:
Fluent might be a good fit for this. Why? He doesn't work currently, he does tons of Let's plays on youtube and so he has all the audio stuff set up and knows how to use it.

Agreed. And he has a good voice too.
But I heard recently that he is lost in some underground killing goblins and other nasties. Someone should dig him out. :)

Fluent posted today, so perhaps he'll see this thread if I bump it....

Hey fluent....a chance to reach the outside from the basement, do it man!

I still have legends on Dawn Icon on my Desk top. I really want to like it and maybe since I was going to replay D:OS after TW3(now waiting for EE) I will give it another shot.

As for Wave of Darkness it looks so very good as I thought that when I first saw.

Yes Fluent does do a good job with his videos

Hey all,

We have released the biggest Wave of Darkness patch to date, which added a lot of nice things. Hopefully we'll see more of you guys playing Wave of Darkness :)

Here is the changelog. You can find out more about Wave of Darkness development progress on our Steam discussion board.

• Bigger Maps Panel/Major Map Update

52C8C8675A841D20CCDEBFB0E4D9D1058C002DBB

We have updated maps panel. Previous Maps panel had serious problems. One of our primary concerns when creating GUI was that each and every GUI panel must fit into minimal supported resolution for the game - which is 1024x768 pixels. That means no panel can be higher than ~700 pixels. This is all fine but most players today play at 1680x1050 of HD resolutions which means they have extra space and no panel uses it. Smaller panels are not a problem for most of the time. Characters panel, or Legendary Items panel never need extra size, but maps panel could really benefit from being bigger.
    So we started brainstorming.

First thing we decided was to expand maps panel to fit almost entire screen. This gave us much needed space. Game will always rescale the maps panel to fit almost entire screen (there will be 25 pixels on all sizes around the Maps panel window but that's it). In addition to that, we cut extra space at the top of the Maps panel which gave us almost 100 pixels.
    Coordinates label at the bottom, region title, X button and other panel components will be placed on their positions depending which resolution you use.
    So now map area is much larger. One thing to note is that, since map area is larger, background map image is blurier. Previous map image had 2048x2048 resolution. New image has 4096x4096 resolution. If your graphics card does not support 4096x4096 textures, it will be scaled to fit the maximum supported size for your card.
    In addition, we decided to remove zoom in/zoom out buttons. They were ok for the previous map, but they are seriously lacking for upgraded one. At the bottom of the maps panel, there is new zoom slider. You can use it to zoom in and out much more easily than before.

Previous Maps panel had checkboxes with various location types such as entrances to dungeons or locations of god shrines or other points of interest. We have removed those checkboxes since they took large amount of screen space. In order to toggle display of various maps components you can use new Filter button at the bottom of the screen. Clicking on it will activate popup window with various filters available. You can toggle on and off each filter entry as you wish. Default state is that everything will be displayed.

We have added new icons and new location types to the Maps panel. From version 1.06 forward you will be able to see all previous locations including new ones: wells, campfires, signposts, metal ores, plants, oracles, respawn points, teleport stones and legendary items. We are working on adding even more locations. Reason for long wait between 1.05 and 1.06 is mostly that we had to rewrite large part of this panel which included both code change and graphics change.

We are aware that some features are still missing. The button to center the player and the mouse wheel capability to zoom the map in and out are coming in the next patch. Those are not implemented yet.
  • Various map fixes
    We have fixed various hidden locations throughout the map. Some of them contained no monsters or no itemholders and those locations are usually made specifically to hide such rewards. That's fixed now. We expect there will be more such bugs in the future. Game is simply too big not to make such mistakes.
  • Lord Nevera problem

Lord Nevera had faulti script while in the Lost bay region. It is now fixed. Quest 'Wind, Blood and High Seas' should end when player talks to Lord Nevera and 'Rising Tide' quest should start after the Nevera is defeated.
    Note: if you have savegame near the Lord Nevera, it may be neccessary to move few screens back so that scripts are refreshed and Nevera respawns with new script attached to him.
  • Caretaker of Change notification
    'Caretaker of Change' quest requires that player finds caretaker's house and brings Caretaker's notes back to Xocutus. When clicking on caretaker's body, standard chest/itemholder panel was opened. This has been changed so that clicking on caretaker's body activates tooltip with hint.
  • Problem with Mouse Cursor
    Few people had problem with mouse cursor. Game uses colorized mouse cursors which are changed depending on player's actions. However, on some configurations there is a problem where players are unable to move mouse cursor at all.

Possible workaround for this problem is to edit config\game_lod.config.txt file and change this line:

use_hardware_mouse_cursor: 0

Setting this value to zero will disable colorized mouse cursor and use default window mouse cursor. We have reports this fixed the problem for most of the players with this bug.
    At this time we are not sure what is the cause of this issue. We suspect it's a driver problem or some such but we are unable to reproduce this bug at this time. Wave of Darkness runs on multiple systems (Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10) and it's very hard to check all the combinations of hardware, software and drivers. Obviously some configurations don't like hardware mouse cursor change but unfortunately we cannot seem to reproduce this issue on our machines. We'll notify you if we manage to reproduce and/or completely fix this bug.
  • Stairs and Navigation

We have changed way the navigation on stairs works. It's still not perfect but navigation over them should be better than before.
  • Windowed mode for localization

"It is necessary windowed mode. This will allow the streamer to do translation and overview videos much easier."

We have added option to start the game in windowed mode. However this option is not for regular playing, just to be used during translation/localization process. In order to activate it, you will have to add following line in the config\game_lod.config.txt file:

allow_windowed_mode: 1

When this option is activated and you start the game, you will be asked whether you wish to run the game in fullscreen or windowed mode.
  • News button
    News button activated Legends of Dawn news download and not Wave of Darkness download. This has been fixed.
  • Unused button crash

Unused button Options -> Graphics -> Shaders caused crash. This button has been removed.

What do you guys think?

Hey all. As you can see, we keep patching the game on a regular basis, and the changelog can be seen below:

Wave of Darkness Patch 1.10

• [*]Music combat and transition/fadeout fixes
    We have changed time needed for music fadeouts. It was too short and music change was too abrupt. Change from full volume to zero volume lasted approximately 1 second. This is now increased to approximately 10 seconds. Hopefully it will be enough

[*]Cursed item notifications
    We have added notification icons for cursed items. When you have equipped cursed item, skull icon will be displayed beneath player's name and level (similar to icons representing spell effects). Placing mouse over skull icon will show you which item is cursed and what you have to do to remove the curse (identify at oracle stones and/or then pray at god shrine).

[*]Map zoom changed
    Map zoom was slightly off when zooming on 1/3 screen sized map. This has been fixed. Maps panel should now work fine no matter what the size of the map window is.

[*]Map 'Size' button
    We added 'Size' button to Maps panel. Clicking on it will toggle panel size between (almost) fullscreen size and 1/3 screen size panel.

[*]Map icons upgraded
    We have slightly changed some icons. Few of them had low contrast in regard to background. This has been fixed.

[*]Additional map locations #1
    We have added fishing places and danian tomb locations to the maps panel

[*]Additional map locations #2
    We have added 'singing stones' locations to the maps panel.

[*]Intro text corrections
    We have changed intro text. Thanks to Cthulhufan (Kepi al-Duri) for this one.

Once again, we would like to mention that on this link you can see what are we currently working on and what fixes you can expect in the future.

Hey Iggy,

I have this since I kickstarted it....when would be a good time to actually sit down and play it...I assume most of the game is not in yet?

Hey Iggy,

I have this since I kickstarted it….when would be a good time to actually sit down and play it…I assume most of the game is not in yet?

On the contrary, everything is in the game and you can definitely play it.

The reason why it's on Early Access is because a lot of bugs need to be fixed, and it's a perfect time to implement new features our players want.

On the contrary, everything is in the game and you can definitely play it.

The reason why it's on Early Access is because a lot of bugs need to be fixed, and it's a perfect time to implement new features our players want.
Iggy, are all quests and content in the game already?

I only played a little bit, because I didn't want to spoil the "full game" experience, but if everything is in it, I may give it a go now.

Iggy, are all quests and content in the game already?

I only played a little bit, because I didn't want to spoil the "full game" experience, but if everything is in it, I may give it a go now.

Yeah, all the content is in from day 1 :)

Hey all,

We have released another patch for Wave of Darkness.

Here is the full changelog of what we fixed:

• Standing creatures corpses and frozen monsters

The game had a nasty bug with animations not being played on dead creatures during the saved game loading. Now those animations are played correctly, although this should be tested some more.
    Also, it is very likely that this issue is connected to bug that sometimes occurs when player kills the monster and death animation is not played so that monster stays frozen in place. This bug is visual bug only - it has no other impact on the game, but it is annoying. Game should be tested some more to see if the fix removed death animation bug also.

We have spent a lot of time fixing this bug, so that's why this patch doesn't bring more fixes and upgrades as the previous one.

• Door animation bug

Doors on the location [945,751] had visual bug. Door worked fine but were rendered incorrectly. This has been fixed.

• Young Deepcave Storm Tormentor bug

This creature at location [1216,1273] was not supposed to be here. Tormentor spider was testing spider used during quest scripting. We have deleted all of them except this one. Instead of Tormentor, there should be Venomous Spider at this location. This has been fixed.

• Invisible Spirit bug

Invisible Spirit had wrong name for aura effect. It should be "Horror" instead of standard debug ~missing~. This has been fixed.

As always, stay up-to-date with our work on the Discussion Boards, give us more suggestions about what would you like to see in the game, and of course, report new issues!

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom