Witcher 3 - Q&A and Gameplay @ Twitch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Tomorrow on GOGs Twitch channel, 45 minutes of gameplay is shown of The Witcher 3 followed by a Q&A.

We will be showcasing 45 minutes of live gameplay with Łukasz “LUq” Wnęk, Counter-Strike 1.6 legend currently working at CD PROJEKT RED, taking control of Geralt. He will be joined by Level Designer Miles Tost, who will provide developer commentary for the new footage focused on combat and gameplay mechanics including melee and long-distance combat, alchemy, exploration, monster hunting, and means of travel.

Once the gameplay portion of the stream is finished, we will hold a live Q&A session on the air. Miles Tost will take the time to respond to live comments coming in via Twitch chat, as well as to select questions from the GOG.com community forums! It's a rare opportunity to ask about all the saucy details of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt development.

During the event, you can expect a Witcher lore contest, in which you will have the chance to exchange your Geralt-related knowledge for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt t-shirts, with a little help from Twitch chat and your friendly neighborhood postal worker.

If you have questions for the folks at CD PROJEKT RED about the upcoming Witcher game, you can submit them right here in this thread on GOG.com forums. You have until Monday, May 4th, at 10:59AM GMT to submit your questions - we'll need some time to select the most interesting ones to throw at the devs during the live chat!

The live event will begin on Tuesday, May 5th, at 6pm GMT / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT at Twitch.tv/GOGcom. Follow the channel to get an email alert when it goes live. See you there!
More information.

You have until Monday, May 4th, at 10:59AM GMT
I'm too late. :(
There is a question that needs to be answered IMO and it's about the openworld similarity. I'd ask if TW3 openworld is similar to:
- Bethesda's TES games
- Dragon Age 3
- Pyranha Bytes games
- Ubisoft's games (betting on this one)

No matter. The game will be out in a couple of weeks anyway.

From the footage we've seen so far i would compare it more to Piranha Bytes and perhaps Ubisoft more than Bethseda's RPG's.. I doubt it has the world interactivity of a Beth game (being able to pick up or open up just about anything.. or being able to roll a cheese wheel down a mountain etc), but instead with more engaging gameplay (Gothic etc).

I thought the fighting looked quite ok in one of the recent videos i saw.. perhaps not on level with dark souls or Bloodborne, but its not what they're going for here..

The graphical downgrade is very evident though :( The new renderer, which was supposed to be soooo superior to the old (that they used for many of the fantastic first screens of the game)..

http://piclair.com/data/3nouz.jpg (old)
http://piclair.com/data/pwnxo.jpg (new)

…and please don't give me any "but it's just different settings with different lightning" ;) I know 3D, i know lightning fairly well. The new screen is extremely lacking in comparison to the old, in numerous ways..

I don't care how much you tell yourself you know lighting and 3D - you're not psychic. Unless you establish the PRECISE settings used when both shots were taken - and you use a similar angle with similar visual conditions, you don't have anything at all.

you don't even need to understand 3D, you just have to understand lightning in general, basic terms to see that the first image is superior in terms of quality. As one example, look at the characters and look at what is supposed to be make them lit to the degree that they're almost entirely full bright. It's hardly the only screen we've seen where the graphical downgrade is very evident.

Lightning is usually what is downgraded in the final game, we've seen this tons of times in games, Far Cry 3, Dark Souls 2, two games i can remember straight off.. So it's not like a downgrade of lightning quality would be surprising. I just thought it was kind of silly of them to say that we should expect the newer screens to look superior to the first released screens, it's clearly not the case.

Last edited:
you don't even need to understand 3D, you just have to understand lightning in general, basic terms to see that the first image is superior in terms of quality. As one example, look at the characters and look at what is supposed to be make them lit to the degree that they're almost entirely full bright. It's hardly the only screen we've seen where the graphical downgrade is very evident.

I'm afraid there's no understanding of lighting that can change how graphical settings can be different for screenshots - and how you need similar lighting conditions to see similar results. The angle is different - and you have no way of being certain of how light sources might differ between shots.

I doubt anyone here truly believes that PR screenshots accurately reflect how the game looks upon release, but posting two screenshots from potentially wildly different sources and lighting conditions won't prove anything at all.

The graphical downgrade is very evident though :( The new renderer, which was supposed to be soooo superior to the old (that they used for many of the fantastic first screens of the game)..

http://piclair.com/data/3nouz.jpg (old)
http://piclair.com/data/pwnxo.jpg (new)
All I see on the second pic is something at lower right bottom that should easily explain the lack of light.

TW3 will support mods. If they decided to lock something like Ubi did with WD just so the game doesn't look better on PC than on consoles, I'm pretty sure a modder will remove the restriction. Still, I don't think they'll do that because they didn't lock anything in TW2.
The game was postponed for a reason and it's very possible that visuals from initial screenshots caused such display bugs through the game they had to be retested, reworked, fixed or completely removed.

One thing is sure. In just a couple of weeks we'll know if the game is Skyrimesque bug-o-rama, Dragonagesque special effects explosions beargrinder, ACUnityesque unoptimized overhyped garbage or a game we deserve.

not really speaking of lack of light.. there seems to be a sun hitting those characters in the tavern ;)

well they're also aiming for 60 FPS so it's again not too surprising that they have to downgrade some visual aspects.. modding hasn't been too big for the Witcher games, afaik (not on pair with TES), hopefully it will take off with TW3.. rendering is usually not too moddable though - "help me ENB, you're my only hope!"

Besides, it took CDPR almost 2 years for TW2's CS to be released.

I'm just floored by all the cynical comments relating to graphics about this game... not just here but everywhere on the net. This is where I come from. So it's all up from there, at least for me.

I'm afraid there's no understanding of lighting that can change how graphical settings can be different for screenshots - and how you need similar lighting conditions to see similar results. The angle is different - and you have no way of being certain of how light sources might differ between shots.

I doubt anyone here truly believes that PR screenshots accurately reflect how the game looks upon release, but posting two screenshots from potentially wildly different sources and lighting conditions won't prove anything at all.

That's moronic, so you've never compared graphics from two different games, if the angle and everything else wasn't 100% the same? That's what we are doing here basically, since the rendering is new in the new screen.

"I doubt anyone here truly believes that PR screenshots accurately reflect how the game looks upon release". Ok. I truly believe a lot of people believed that when CDP said that "the end result will be even better" (with the new renderer), it wouldnt look worse. …and when they said there had absolutely not been any form of downgrade in graphics, people wanted to believe that.

You clearly don't know, but CDP is actually a company who has (had) a lot of trust and respect from their fans, one of very few i'd say. Also, "PR screens". The screens from Skyrim were "PR screens" too then, and the final game looked no different (e.g http://piclair.com/data/q3dlh.jpg ).

Last edited:
I'm just floored by all the cynical comments relating to graphics about this game
Actually those comments are coming from Farmville, Flappy Bird and Candy Crush fans.

… bet you love these guys, and their reasoning;

oge5a1.jpg

"I doubt anyone here truly believes that PR screenshots accurately reflect how the game looks upon release" - your typical Apple PR guy, right there ;)

Good! I'm not the only cracked fan here. :)

So it's ok to lie, because it's graphics?

I come from text adventures too.

I'm not sure how you conclude that I think it's ok to lie - that eludes me entirely so I'll just drop it.

I guess if perhaps if you are a graphics artist and you are scrutinizing the visuals of W3 because that's your thing I can understand why you might be making these comparisons. I guess you're in good company though, as most of the gaming internet is currently obsessing over W3s visuals, frames per seconds, lighting, etc.

As a gamer though, I think the visuals are plenty fine. I'm far more interested in the actual gameplay at this point. But that's just me.

most of the gaming internet is currently obsessing over <insert any game here> visuals, frames per seconds, lighting, etc.
That needed fixin'. :)
And is not a bad thing really. Too many years we were slaves of stagnating software solutions caused by standards on obsolete hardware called - consoles. We can have better things on PC. And we deserve them.

That's moronic, so you've never compared graphics from two different games, if the angle and everything else wasn't 100% the same? That's what we are doing here basically, since the rendering is new in the new screen.

No, you're not just comparing two different screenshots from an unreleased game without knowing anything about graphical settings or lighting conditions. You're concluding something based on that, which is impossible to conclude. I've done things like the former, but never the latter.

I'm not sure being rational qualifies as "moronic" - but I guess to a certain kind of person, it might.

You clearly don't know, but CDP is actually a company who has (had) a lot of trust and respect from their fans, one of very few i'd say. Also, "PR screens". The screens from Skyrim were "PR screens" too then, and the final game looked no different (e.g http://piclair.com/data/q3dlh.jpg ).

I'm not sure why you think I don't know something like that, but I guess it sort of makes sense that you'd conclude something from nothing - like you do when you look at screenshots.

It's not really about trust and respect from fans. It's about the established worldwide standard of corporate practice and marketing manipulation.

If you think they're beyond polishing up their marketing material, then I don't know what to say.

Since I'm not big on name-calling, like you seem to be, let's just say I don't feel like the moron in our conversation.

That needed fixin'. :)
And is not a bad thing really. Too many years we were slaves of stagnating software solutions caused by standards on obsolete hardware called - consoles. We can have better things on PC. And we deserve them.

You seems to suffer from memory lapses joxer. Watchdogs. Even after the graphics mod … need I say more?

Back
Top Bottom