Things you don't need to know...

Remember something called "the law of conservation of momentum" from school?
Thanks to that one we can make rockets - right? A fuel burns, gasses are "dumped" and our rockets move in the opposite direction.

What if instead of the fuel we use electricity? And what if we don't have to "fart" anything out of the rocket to make it move?
Sounds crazy?

Crazy or not, seems it does work:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/31/nasa-validates-impossible-space-drive

No you're not in virual reality, and you're reading it right.
NASA confirmed it.

What, I didn't explain in details how and why exactly does it work? Hell if I know. They don't know either. All they know is that it works.

After this "impulse drive" invention, expect "warp drive" that works against some other physics law next year.

Seems that NASA tested this also in vacuum and - got the same results.
Don't trust the misleading title, this isn't warp as it doesn't move the meteria into some subspace or superspace. It's still impulse:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Warp-Field-Still-Generates-Works-In-A-Vacuum

the EMDrive defies science to the point of being near-magic. First of all, it generates thrust in violation of the law of conservation of momentum. More importantly, when you fire lasers through its resonance chamber those beams appear to move faster than light. One possibility is that the EMDrive is generating a small warp field, technology that has widely been considered science fiction for decades.
Noone still knows how it works. But it works. So how about using it now and thinking on the cause later?

Wow :) For all of us space exploration fans it'd be like a dream come true!

I just hope they manage to build a working concept vehicle soon, so we can travel to Mars before we are too old!

Now that would make for a much more interesting retirement cruise than Florida :D

Alas, it's far to early to say if it works or not.

The following quote from the website is important: "The EMDrive testing is now about to undergo significant peer review while other labs try to replicate the results. And even if it checks out, it might not necessarily be feasible for space travel."

Lots of work remains.

Pibbur

Alas, it's far to early to say if it works or not.

The following quote from the website is important: "The EMDrive testing is now about to undergo significant peer review while other labs try to replicate the results. And even if it checks out, it might not necessarily be feasible for space travel."

Lots of work remains.

Pibbur

Come on now, don't bring your realistic and sensible views in to this!!!

……. even if a lot of work of course remains let's not forget that they were also able to produce results on this in China and UK… I do think that other labs and reviews will confirm this.. and EMDrive of course it has to be feasible for space travel!! <insert random Sci-Fi space drama dream here>

Despite what they found….

OK., I'll try to behave according to my nick and avatar. I would of course be excited if it turned out to …. actually … be … w…wor…WORKING! Andfeasibleforspacetravel.

pibbur who would like to be number 13

Tesla powerwall.
Already sold out - I'm too late!

Oh, you don't know what am I talking about? While "you don't nee to know", you will. Very soon. :)

Tesla powerwall.
Already sold out - I'm too late!

Oh, you don't know what am I talking about? While "you don't nee to know", you will. Very soon. :)

Of course we know... I love what he is doing... but I think a few years more is needed.

It'll really turn things upside down, and it'll actually be really great for countries with poor infrastructure and a lot of sun...

To be honest I can't believe we waited so long for this to happen.
The tech is not really new when you think about it and the whole thing is plain logical and easy to use.
It's so odd this didn't appear immediately after Chernobil disaster but we had to wait for Fukushima Daiichi misfortune till someone finally constructs this.

Intel revealed Haswell-EX Xeon E7 V3 CPUs.
What you don't need to know is that you'll see up to 18 Cores and 12 TB DDR4 Memory Support. O_O
http://wccftech.com/intel-unleashes...b-ddr4-memory-support-57-billion-transistors/
Someone should tell Intel it's 2015. not 2025. and it's questionable if win10 can address so much of RAM. Yes, win7/8 x64 can go 128TB, but we're talking about M$ upgrades here. ;)

AMD is not asleep, but almost. You don't need to know that their new Zen architecture, nothing spectacular compared with Intel news, is set for next year:
http://www.bug.hr/_cache/41620a8f70fc6ac154511ce71c920363.jpg

The third thing today you don't need to know is without link, do use google.
Everyone and their mother, because diamonds are women's best friend, are researching a possibility to switch from silicon to carbon. Less power needed, no overheating, not touchy to chemical extremes, etc.
While today's CPUs run a few GHz, you don't need to know that already existing experimental diamond transistor is capable of 81 Ghz and Nippon Telegraph and Telefone Corp. projects it could reach 200 Ghz. O_O
The only problem is the technology how to create these diamonds - smaller!
Please, the message above ment for Intel, someone pass to this japanese company. With an additional note that they should think PC, not consoles.

Well, 12 TB of ram will soon be too little, with all this in memory databases.

You don't need to know that Windows 10 is the last windows says Microsoft. Past it there won't be a new OS, only upgrades, updates, patches and whatnot.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/05/08/windows-10-to-be-last-version-of-windows/
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Was happy about win10, but I think I'll stay on my good old win7 till the first DX12 musthave game is released. If any. But of course, you don't need to know it. ;)

Liberia was declared ebola free on May 9th, after no new cases during the last 42 days.

Or may be you should know this.

pibbur who asks how many days with no new Ebola cases in Liberia on the 9th of may?

So, according to history, our species was stupid for hundreds of thousands years then somehow a few thousands years back we started to use tools, craft items and learn to use different materials.
After watching Mel Gibson's a slap to intelligence Apocalypto, no wonder people accept to believe in similar stuff.

http://siberiantimes.com/science/ca...e-bracelet-is-oldest-ever-found-in-the-world/
You don't need to know that history lessons were wrong. Again.

Next year? Someone will probably unearth even older Antikythera mechanism.

So, according to history, our species was stupid for hundreds of thousands years then somehow a few thousands years back we started to use tools.

Eh… No.

Homo erectus/ergaster living up to 1.9 million years ago used fairly complex tools. Primitive tools have also been found with skeletons of homo habilis living between 2.8 and 1.5 million years ago. Even australopithicus most likely used (very primitive) tools.

Homo sapiens pibbur

Spring is here. Actually it's close to summer (who cares what the ozzies think?). Which means I should have started mowing the lawn. But it has been raining a lot, which would have made said operation not impossible, but cumbersome. And above all, an excuse not to go out into the wild.

But today, weather was ok (didn't see much of the sun, but no rain), so I fired up my petrol powered lawn-and-everything-in-it-mower for the first time this year. With a RRROOOOAAAAARRR it went into action, and despite grass being long there was no hesitating and no mercy.

As veteran watchers know, I call the device "Rammstein", some of you also know that this is why:

Now all of you know.

pibbur who'd like to inform the watch that no children and no species of small, furry animals were hurt during the operation.

The word "Benzin" means "fuel" for cars and most other land vehicles in German language - it is the equivalent of the English-language "gas".

Besides : You should watch the lawnmoving device in the movie "Gnomeo and Juliet", then ! :D

Here is the in-movie commercial / advertisement for it : :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2iCjnTnN4

The word "Benzin" means "fuel" for cars and most other land vehicles in German language - it is the equivalent of the English-language "gas".

Besides : You should watch the lawnmoving device in the movie "Gnomeo and Juliet", then ! :D

Here is the in-movie commercial / advertisement for it : :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2iCjnTnN4

"Unnecessarily powerful". I WANT ONE!!!!

pibbur who hasn't got any gnomes in his garden, but who has one in WOW.

PS. Thanks Alrik, I forgot to translate "benzin". BTW, it's "bensin" in Norwegian. Hmm. What's the word for "benzin" in sanskrit? DS.

Back
Top Bottom