Dark Souls II - Has Ruined Gaming Forever

@Dart

I will say that, obviously, a huge part of this is taste. The Souls games have their roots in dungeon crawlers (like From's own King's Field series), not open-world C&C-style RPGs that a lot of RPG Watchers tend to prefer. At the end of the day, combat is what you'll spend a lot of the game doing.

Yeah, that part about taste is key to this whole thing - I will agree with that.

First, I actually think the Souls games have done a lot for video game story-telling. Again, this isn't the kind of story-telling that tries to go toe-to-toe with the Witcher or something like that. But there is a lot of interesting stuff here. The story is told indirectly. Part of the game, if you get involved, is piecing together clues from item descriptions, the bits of lore you actually are told, the way the worlds are designed and put together, etc. There are plenty of examples of the game or NPCs straight up lying to you, but there are clues everywhere saying the truth. There are also neat NPC moments that give me the feels better than traditional RPGs tend to. The atmosphere, the lore, the do-it-yourself element of story-telling - these are all interesting elements that add up to a cohesive whole. If Demon's Souls is where most of your experience with the series is, I'll warn you that Dark Souls did all of these things significantly better. (And DS1 did it better than DS2).

I won't try to objectively deny that the approach to story in the Souls games is great - or that it has done something for the genre.

All I can say is that the approach isn't for me. Some people like this opaque style - and the minimal approach to exposition and back-and-forth interaction.

Yes, most of my experience comes from Demon's Souls - but that game actually had quite a bit of exposition in the large hub section. It was only out in the world the NPCs were sparingly populated and partially mute and melancholy. They seem to sit around in a deep depression and speak a few lines - some of which make sense, and some of which are probably deliberately obtuse.

This is how Dark Souls felt to me as well, and this is the approach to story that I find rather dull and not exactly motivating.

But, I can't say if the game changes tone in a 180 style later on. I just don't have a reason to believe it, and so far - it seems that people who like this approach also like a lot of other things about Souls games that I don't really care for.

It's just one part of a larger whole - and if the rest of the game had appealed to me - I'm sure the NPCs and story would have been something I could get past.

Weapons - I think comparing the Souls approach to weapons to a Diablo-like is really unfair. In the Souls games, there are a set amount of weapons. They are all uniquely designed and only available at certain spots in the world/from certain enemies/or from certain shops. It's basically the opposite approach of a Diablo-style game, with the explosive loot and randomly generated weapons. Also, in Souls, all the weapons are fairly well balanced. Basically, different weapons represent different approaches to combat. Dual wielding daggers will play a lot differently than two-handing a halberd or sword-and-boarding with a Longsword.

Well, I'm not trying to compare them while saying they should be the same. I'm simply saying I would probably have enjoyed Souls games more, personally, if they were more like Diablo - as in if they were designed for cooperative multiplayer.

I need a lot of depth in my itemization to stay interested in a Diablo game, though - so it would need more than it has.

But I'm fully aware of how weapons work - as it worked the same way in Demon's Souls. I actually really like how the attributes tie into weapons - and how they're weighted differently.

It's just that the arsenal is tiny compared to a loot-hunt game, and that's ok.

Equipment progression is tied into the upgrades more than into the different pieces of equipment, as the latter is more tied into how you want to play the game. Here too, I think you're unfair. The upgrade system for weapons and equipment is actually quite deep. You want to choose a weapon and a scaling upgrade path for said weapon based on the kind of build you're going for. Not only are there +1/+2+/+3/etc., but there are upgrade paths for: fire, holy, dark, magic, int (similar to magic, only represents as physical damage rather than magic damage), having spread out attributes, or preferring high base damage over scaling of any sort. A lot of this is taste, but the system is deep on its own terms. Personally, I love the approach Souls takes to its equipment/weapons/etc. It feels much more "designed" than most games in the genre. Everything is meticulous. Nothing is random or thoughtless.

I don't consider myself unfair - and you seem to recognize that it's about taste as well.

I'm strictly speaking from my personal experience and while I can see the system working and that is has an amount of depth, it's too simplistic and predictable. Compare the item system with, say, Hellgate London - and there's just no comparison.

But again, that's just my opinion.

I made the mistake of looking up items for Demon's Souls while playing it - and I was disappointed to see how limited the arsenal was.

I'm sure Dark Souls (and the sequel) has more items - but the system seems to be almost identical.

But I agree the system is well designed and meticulous - and that's part of the problem. The developers obviously have a deep respect for balance - and they care a LOT about everything working together in their system.

But the problem here is that the human mind is surprisingly limited - and the more you strive for the perfect balance, the more you have to restrict your system and what you can do with it.

This is why Chess is close to perfect and elegant - it's meticulous and well designed. It's also incredibly dull to a gamer like me - who loves a huge gameplay arsenal and tons of powers and toys.

I don't mind a lack of balance. The key to combat a lack of balance in a rich system is to provide enough toys and ways to counter them, that no human mind can truly get it all. That's why I love the D&D system - because every broken build usually has a weakness and there's always some build that's even more broken. You can ask people to come up with the best character, and they'll each have their own version of the perfect build - and they'll all be wrong.

That's fun to me.

Souls is elegant - it's kinda beautiful - but it's also dull. To me, that is.

In terms of leveling progression, I think this is more solidly a matter of taste. Souls games, sort of like the Divinity games and Diablo 1, give you a lot of freedom to building your own class. It's basically the opposite of, say, Diablo 3, where classes are fundamentally different. If you prefer a more closed off class system, that's your pick, but I seem to remember the Elder Scrolls games been more open-ended in progression as well. So I'm not sure what your bone to pick is there.

I don't like the Elder Scrolls system in general. I think it's way too generic. It was only with Skyrim that the system opened up a bit, and became interesting. That's because I love Perks and the Shouts. That was a big step forward.

But my favorite systems are D&D 3-3.5 and something like SPECIAL from Fallout.

I like the Souls system for its elegance and simplicity. I like how every stat matters in way that will ultimately be quite noticable. But it has a profound lack of toys and things to look forward to.

I'm a big power gamer at heart - and one of my primary drives in any RPG is to see my character come into his own. To keep my attention, a game needs to have a carrot for the larger part of the game. Otherwise, I tend to get bored with the system.

Overall, I think the Souls games do a lot of things incredibly well. They've innovated on story-telling, combat, multiplayer, progression, etc. However, I do want to emphasize one thing before ending this rant: that these games are thoroughly designed. They're not linear point-to-point games, even if there are obvious linear elements. They're also not GTA-style open world sandboxes, filled with mostly nothing. There is plenty to explore and see and all of it was designed in a specific way. The design of the levels emphasizes gameplay, story-telling, atmosphere, equipment progression, and more. I think that's one of the elements everyone should respect of the series. Again, it's the opposite of a Diablo-like. Nothing is random. These are games that have open elements but are still thoroughly designed to give a certain set of experiences. And I think that's why they're so well loved.

I actually do respect the series - and I'm simply talking about my own opinion based on my own tastes and preferences. That said, I would never ask other people to respect something I liked or respected. That has to be down to their own point of view - and there are always people who hate what you love. That's just part of reality.

This is why I'm not going to ask you to respect GTA or Diablo for THEIR strengths - and trust me, they do have them. They're just very different games trying to do very different things.

I think Souls games do certain things very, very well - and I understand the design and the intention.

They're very pure games that have obviously been given a lot of care. But they've hardly evolved from Demon's Souls - and IIRC, Demon's Souls also had a predecessor that was quite similar.

I'm not terribly impressed by seeing essentially the same game over and over. That bores me to tears, even if I cared for Demon's Souls a lot - especially in the beginning.

Well, that's not entirely true. Gothic, for instance - is arguably very much like the Risen games, and I still love those.

In the end, it comes down to the kind of game you enjoy.

I do love dungeon crawling - but I prefer games like Ultima Underworld for that. I do like action RPGs - but I prefer games like Diablo or Hellgate for that.

To me, and I've said this before, Demon's Souls feels more like Diablo than any other game - except that it has much more refined mechanics and a much more deliberate pace. But the actual core gameplay in terms of design and mechanics is quite similar.

Since I like Diablo a lot, that would have been fine as a cooperative multiplayer game with a more interesting loot-system and a character progression system like the best in the genre.

But as a solo game, I just don't enjoy what the game has to offer. The story doesn't fulfill me and the tiresome respawning gets to me, as I don't feel rewarded just because I adapt to a boss fight or some enemy. The loot, while decent, isn't quite enough to keep me going. I don't think the character system has enough toys. I don't like the multiplayer implementation - as I don't feel like I can control my experience, and I need to feel in control of when I want to compete and when I want to play with friends.

I admire the scenery - and I understand that the exploration is great for some people. It just doesn't really work for me.

If you've only played a few hours of Dark Souls, I do suggest trying to get further. Even after loving Demon's Souls, I initially bumped off of Dark Souls 1. A year and a half later, I tried it again.. spent 100 hours on it. Dark Souls 2… 130 hours. Easily my two most played RPGs of the last generation (and among my most played ever). Demon's Souls plays more like a proof of concept in some ways. Dark Souls is the real deal, but it really doesn't open itself up to you until you're somewhat deep into the game.

Well, people say this - but they fail to point out how it's significantly different. I've read several reviews in the media - and they've all pointed out that it's a very similar game.

So, I'm not really buying it.

As I said, I tired of the formula - and the formula is more or less the same. If you're honest, you've got to admit that.

Last edited:
1. I believe sneaking as known in other games (ie. turning 'invisible' depending on stats, having enemies detect in line of sight, or playing with shadows) is primarily not in Souls games, because it would be cheesing things, and the designers went for confrontation. They don't want players to skip encounters much by simply assassinating enemies. Encounters CAN be skipped by simply running through in a lot of places, but it's not the same as you don't reap any rewards. Now I'm not saying that a vast and detailed sneak system wouldn't benefit the game, but that would also take away a lot of resources this small dev studio never had. Miyazaki always said he wanted players to feel endangered all the times, and sneaking would be a safe mode in his eyes I think.

That's all fine, and I haven't said it should have sneaking or intricate stealth mechanics. I'm not asking them to change anything.

All I'm doing is saying what I like and what I don't like - and what I would have wanted if the game should appeal to me.

I understand that they don't want a stealth game - or a significant stealth approach.

But, you see, I love stealth and I always play stealth characters when I get the chance. I can't help it - I love that stuff.

That said, you CAN sneak very well in DS1 (not in 2, sadly)! There's a ring and a spell that make you fairly invisible, and another ring and spell that make you soundless. With the two combined, you can exploit the hell out of enemy spacing and terrain to damn near skip and/or backstab most enemies in the game. Course it doesn't work much on bosses, but again, it would go against the philosophy. I did have a dark assassin build in DS1 on one of my characters and it was deadly.
Edit: I almost forgot how there's a lore explanation to enemies sensing you, since most of them are soul starved, so they immediately sense a dude full of souls approaching. They sorta home in on you.

Yeah, I would agree that's a sort of minimal stealth system. I know you can sneak just by walking and being careful - and I did hear there were items that would reduce sound and what not. But a stealth system is about much more than that.

It would require something like Skyrim or Thief - where enemies would have search patterns - and they would "give up" after a while. It would need stuff like pickpocketing and looting while sneaking. It would need assassination moves and so on.

I understand that they're not going for that experience - and that's cool.

But you have to accept that it's not there - and that I would have wanted it there. It's simple, really.

2. Bows and crossbows are not very good in DS1, but are very very powerful in DS2. Not only is there a lot of variation in bows and their attack styles (short range but fast, long range sniping), you can upgrade and infuse the hell out of them and use all types of arrows for special purposes. In both games enemies have weak spots you can shoot for extra damage. In both games you have sniper mode/manual aim. In both games you can exploit the hell out of enemy placement and AI to murder the crap out of enemies from range. Most boss fights can be done with ranged as easily as with melee, if not easier. The ones that cannot need no super-powerful melee either, just some practice. I never felt problems with the camera when shooting apart from the fact that in sniper mode, you don't see where you're going while moving, which is - imo - pretty damn logical.
I understand if it's not something that suits some players. But Skyrim of all games as your comparison?? Where you can sneak-shoot and enemies stand in place like idiots and not realize you are pelting them with arrows? Where you are invisible in sneak and can stand RIGHT BEFORE and enemy and pickpocket off his armor??? Really? :D

Yes, Skyrim has the best archery of any RPG that I'm aware of.

I'm not talking about archery being weak or useless in Dark Souls (or the sequel) - I'm talking about how it FEELS and how the UI/camera is awkward and annoying.

I'm not saying Skyrim is 100% realistic - and I don't think they're going for that either. Is it perfect? Indeed not. It has a lot of issues - many of which can be fixed by mods.

It still has a much better archery system that feels great and where I don't feel like I'm fighting the UI whilst trying to lock on to an enemy while being attacked, and what not.

We all like different things.

3. In both Dark Souls games there are 4 kings of magic that work differently and excell in either damage, status effects, support, or some other field. Some (beginner) spells are just bolts you can fire, but especially in DS2, most spells are so different in application, you need to learn to use them well first. Spells are more like skills and abilities from D3. I loved my caster playthrough, I had to prepare spells from a large selection to best match the challenges ahead, often juggling with spell slots, items that give bonuses, had to keep enemies at a distance, outsmart bosses and use my limited casts perfectly to beat them. It's a lot of fun, and it's as deep as a melee playthrough, where you need to switch weapons in the same way to adapt.

That's all fine, but I don't see how it goes against anything I've said really. Maybe I haven't given the arsenal of spells enough credit - but that's not really my main problem with the system. I apologize for making it seem like there aren't enough spells. There weren't that many in Demon's Souls - but I admit I don't know the exact amount in Dark Souls. But again, it's more about a feeling of being distinct through classes or traits/perks/feats.

I never actually play mages much, and it's possible I would enjoy Dark Souls more if I did.

Also, not any character can wield spells. They have hard requirements, and that's often not enough, you need to pump spell stats (the 4 magic schools demand different stat progression) to be able to use them really effectively. Like I said, spells themselves are perks/feats/traits. You get them the same way and you can build characters around them, really.

That's not what I meant - I meant every character has the POTENTIAL to wield them. I'm fully aware that most things in Souls have attribute requirements - and that goes for equipment as well.

Spells are spells, though. They're not feats, traits or perks. I expect magic spells in any fantasy RPG - and I don't confuse them with feats, traits or perks.

If we're going that way, then anything can be anything if we allow for it. I don't think that's a smart way of simulating objectivity.

4. For character development: what kilias said. I can understand that the stat placement levelling does not make spme players feel like making head, but if seen not level by level, but say, every 10 level, you DO feel you are getting more powerful. Add to that your equipment and/or spell progression that counts vastly towards your efficiency, and you can go on real power trips. Sure, you get no fancily named perks that add some points or give you some shiny icon on your UI for a new ability, but image that these functions are items and spells you use. And for those, you need the prerequisite stats. Most of your levelling will be trying to achieve some stat combination to be able to use a new cool weapon/armor or a great new spell.

Yes, you seem to get what I'm talking about - but you're also doing your best to dismiss my issues and problems with it, or you're just ignoring them.

It's not good that I have to wait 10 levels to feel I'm getting more powerful, as that's dull. Also, I don't like inching towards power - and that's precisely my problem with TES games (except Skyrim) - because even though level 100 Blade is much, much, MUCH more powerful than 30 Blade - you don't get to ever feel that, because you're inching towards it.

I understand that gear has requirements and I've acknowledged that it's a cool system - but it's not enough for me.

But what is - I think - more important, that in Souls games more so than in any other game I have ever played, players themselves level up. I found that I got better and better at the controls, mechanics, the knowledge of areas, bosses, etc mattered MUCH more than a few points spent here and there. The game actually made me get better and better, crafting challenges one after the other to teach me, and this is truly remarkable to my mind.

That's true, it's a game that rewards paying attention. It plays fair - and that's nice.

Unfortunately, I don't see the point in getting better if the game doesn't give me something beyond being better at it.

That's why I stopped playing these games.

I once played WoW at "elite" level - where I stayed at #1 DPS during approximately 99% (or more, even) of what amounts to a few thousand raids.

Let me tell you right now that what the Souls games require is a complete and utter joke compared to what that experience demanded in terms of focus, understanding and dedication.

You know what I learned from 3 years of dedicating almost my entire life to a social computer game? Not just to play - but to be the best possible DPS rogue I could be, making sure I was on time every single night - which means 4 or 5 days pr. week, where I would raid 4-6 hours in a row after playing 6-8 hours beforehand, getting better gear and gathering mats for potions for raiding which, as a Rogue wanting top position, meant you essentially played Quake with total focus, where every single second would count and you couldn't afford to look away from the screen at all. I spent literally ~1500 hours trying to get a single Legendary item in WoW - but I never got the last drop for it.

I didn't have time for my job or my family. My GF played with me - and we pretty much dedicated our lives to WoW. So, I know what it means to invest myself and to overcome challenges in a computer game.

It's not really worth it.

Tough lesson to be sure, but I learned it well.

Let's just say it takes more than a good formula being repeated over and over to get me back there again.

Souls games are fine for what they are - and they do certain things extremely well. If you want to overlook the massive amount of stuff they DO NOT have - or the stuff they have that's not quite good enough, that's fine. Some people obsess over certain qualities and their brains turn into one part focused memory and one part oblivion. Great - but that's not me.

5. DS is not combat-combat-combat. SpoonFULL described it perfectly. Combat is a means to an end. This is something that very few new players to Souls understand. That it's super fun most of the time is a great plus. But why -I- play these games and why they pulled -me- in (and I know a lot of others, too) is the exploration, both physically (areas) and abstractly (as in, mechanics and lore). Collecting all the unique items hidden around the level, getting precious loot from non-respawning enemies, finding great vistas or atmospheric places, reading item descriptions that provide lore, following an NPC's storyline… these are the things that make me want to explore. Looking at the broken remains of a world, I wonder "what happened here?" "who built this?" "what went wrong?" and I try to find out. Nobody tells me this. Everyone went mad or died, the ones who live on are unreliable, have an agenda. It's a mystery. I look for meaning, and it's there! But I have to work for it. And it's glorious. One has to, however, delve into it, because it's fairly hidden. And I am perfectly fine with players who are not interested in this part, but for me and many many others it is one of the most important factors of Souls.

Obviously, saying combat-combat-combat is an exaggeration. A lot of first person shooters also have quiet moments and stuff you can find in drawers like journals - and some interesting cutscenes.

It's really about what the game FEELS like, to me. Obviously, you don't feel combat is the primary ingredient - and the most essential part of the game.

I do feel like that, however. If the formula was reversed - and you spent as much of your time getting good at exploration and interaction with NPCs - and combat was something you did as a secondary thing, THEN the game would probably have been much better for me.

6. Kilias described the special design of multiplayer perfectly. As for proper coop, it is completely doable in DS1 with the connectivity mod. I had runs where we only did not coop areas where multiplayer is switched off (with good reason). It's not intended to work like this, because it makes some challenges too trivial. This is why, in DS2, they took this away, and all coop summons are time limited. You can, however, very very easily team up with friends using a certain ring available from the beginning. So you can coop large areas and bosses easily. I can see how this fits the design philosophy of the game, but one has to play a lot to understand why they took this route I think.

That sounds like an awfully clunky and clumsy way of teaming up with friends, sorry.

I'd try it - if only the itemization and character systems appealed to me more.

Also, I don't really know anyone who plays these games in real life, so I can't try it.

It might have been fun to test it out, actually.

With all this considered, it is no wonder if Souls games (and Dark Souls in particular) were a gamechanger for many people. When I played it, I marvelled at how it gave me back some old magic in computer game and kept me thrilled and engaged. Few games could do this, and yes, I feel myself comparing other games to it. Thankfully, I still enjoy other games a lot, so I wouldn't call it "ruining". Game designers I know personally almost exclusively praise many aspects of the Souls games, saying they learned a lot from it.

Well, when I played Demon's Souls - it felt like going back in time. You see, I started playing games when I was 6 years old. I remember a time when pretty much every game out there was challenging along the same lines - and where you couldn't save a game and there were no checkpoints. Games were simply like that - and every game felt like a new challenge that I should overcome.

High scores were pretty much your goal - and it was enough for me.

That's kinda what Souls games feel like. You can pat yourself on the back for overcoming the challenge - and for grinding your way through it. It plays fair - as long as you dedicate yourself to it.

But where's the story? Where are all the toys? Why is it so cumbersome to join up with friends? Why is the itemization so limited in the name of perfect balance?

You know? It's just not enough.

I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything by beating a game anymore. My WoW experience definitely had something to do with that. I've competed and "won" at a very, very high level of gaming. That's cool - but it's also not something I care to set as a goal ever again.

I can still understand how these games are not for every gamer, as they are very demanding, very difficult to "get" at first. But I found them worth the trouble. The only reason I wrote these down, DArt, is because I feel you were factually wrong in some cases in your posts above, and as a pillar of this community, as someone whose opinion matters to a lot of people here, you have responsiblity not to spread misinformation I think. I can still fully respect your taste, even if Souls games are not for you (according to you) based on your limited time with them.

Frankly, I don't think you truly understand that some people just don't care for what you love in the Souls games. It seems you boil it down to some of us not "getting it" and that if only we invested as the game demanded - we'd love it.

I'm not sure if you can truly "get it" - but that's NOT the case. Certainly not with me.

As for accusing me of spreading misinformation because I don't agree with you - and because I don't see the game in the same way as you do, that's your choice.

All I'm talking about is my response to what these games have to offer. Maybe I don't get it - or maybe I do get it, and it's just not enough. It's hard to say.

I have absolutely no inherent responsibility - no one does, as far as I know. That's something we can each have our own opinions about.

Personally, I like honesty and I try to be rational. I probably fail relatively often when it comes to being rational - but I rarely fail to be honest.

What I'm doing here is giving my honest opinion about my time with these games - and though I haven't played Dark Souls that much - and I haven't even touched Dark Souls 2 - I believe myself capable of speaking about their mechanics and their designs.

Is it possible Dark Souls did something amazing with the Demon's Souls system that you're all referring to without being clear about it? That the reviews failed to mention? Sure, it's possible - but I need at least one single example before I just assume my time with Demon's Souls didn't teach me sufficiently about this formula.

The ONE thing Dark Souls does differently is the level structure. As in, it's open and non-linear - where Demon's Souls was based on a hub structure. Pretty much everything else is a matter of small improvements - and more content.

That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't change the core of the experience - and I suspect you know it already. It's hardly fair to ignore that the games are EXTREMELY similar, now is it?

I can't tell you how often I read "misinformation" when people dismiss Diablo as a mindless clicker - or Skyrim as a hollow shell with nothing but repetitive content. People call MYST a pointless slideshow - and to me it was one of the most immersive experiences of my gaming life.

I feel like I should "correct" them, you know?

But the thing of it is I've learned not to bother, because there's no objective way to establish these things.

Instead of trying to correct people - I think it's better to just offer alternate points of view.

Once you start pretending to be objective and that there's some ultimate truth that should decide whether a game is good or bad, you're in trouble.

But that's just my perception.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I've admitted that taste is a big part of this and that the Souls games aren't for everybody. However, I think you can respect a game that you don't like and even like a game you don't respect. I think the Souls games deserve a lot of respect for their gameplay innovations (multiplayer, storytelling), as well as their general approach to design (very conscious, very meticulous, using difficulty as a way to create a sense of accomplishment). I guess the reason I defend the games so much is that, not only are they some of my favorites of the generation, but that I find myself supporting the games ideologically. Like.. they embody a lot of the things that I think video games should embrace more. It's also sad when I see someone say Dark Souls has no story, when I've literally thought more about its story than pretty much any other recent video game. Obviously, taste matters here, but I think people can miss why these games are so well loved for matters other than taste, even if it still wouldn't be their cup of tea.

One other comment: Dark Souls, in addition to better story elements and character narratives, is just plain larger and more ambitious. For example, Dark Souls has about 78 total weapons. Dark Souls has around 120. Dark Souls 2 has over 200, depending on how you count certain things.

And, in Dark Souls 2 PvP, you realize just how many different tools and approaches there are. Katana with buffs was popular. So was batstaff + poison cloud (which quickly poisons enemies, leading to urgency and bad decisions). And Avelyns - sort of automatic crossbows. Lots of people dual-wielded Avelyns as a backup, until they were nerfed. There were viable builds with giant hammers, dual wielded rapiers, full on mage builds, 2 handed longswords, etc. And they all played differently. Some were trickier. Some were a bit more based on kiting. Some were faster. Some were slower. There were viable builds built entirely around parrying, or even punching. And the timing and approach needed are all different.

When I compare that to, say, Diablo 3, I can't help bug shrug at the latter. And I liked Diablo 3 fine. I actually replayed it after Dark Souls 2 and found that the newest version (with expansion) was much better than the initial release. However.. it felt so easy (only two deaths on a high difficulty over the entire game...) and unambitious. New weapons tended to change your numbers more than your playstyle, unless there was some bonus to a skill that I was considering switching to. There really is no contest there.

Different weapons are almost like.. using different fighters in a fighting game more than the typical RPG "Longsword +1" style upgrade. Obviously, still a matter of taste, but I both enjoyed it thoroughly and ideologically support the approach.

As for Dark Souls vs. Demon's Souls, here's what I'll say: I loved Demon's Souls. But I spent 35-40 hours on it. I didn't really realize there was much of a story besides the NPC dialogue. I barely played with multiplayer. It was fun, but I didn't consider it life changing. I bounced off of Dark Souls initially for a variety of reasons. However, once I fell into it, I fell deeply in love with the whole series. Dark Souls is very similar to Demon's Souls, yes. That's definitely true. But it's larger, more ambitious, and feels.. more like RPG.

Like, there's this point at which the game opens up to you a bit, and it's just so.. liberating. And you realize you can do anything. Which level do I want to do next? Should I do some PvP in the Forest? Earn some Souls in the Painted World? Make progress on the main quest? Do the Artorias DLC? Follow through on some of the NPC stories? I spent over twice as much time with it as Demon's Souls (and three times as much time on DS2 as Demon's Souls) because there was just so much more to experience and do.

Demon's Souls made me a fan. Dark Souls made me a believer. But, yes, it's definitely a matter of taste. I'm just sharing my experience. YMMV.

Also, just so we're clear, the tone above is meant to be "conversational" not "argumentative" or "combative." Sometimes tone doesn't come across very well on the internet, and people assume I am yelling at them or something, haha.

Just to be clear, I've admitted that taste is a big part of this and that the Souls games aren't for everybody. However, I think you can respect a game that you don't like and even like a game you don't respect. I think the Souls games deserve a lot of respect for their gameplay innovations (multiplayer, storytelling), as well as their general approach to design (very conscious, very meticulous, using difficulty as a way to create a sense of accomplishment). I guess the reason I defend the games so much is that, not only are they some of my favorites of the generation, but that I find myself supporting the games ideologically. Like.. they embody a lot of the things that I think video games should embrace more. It's also sad when I see someone say Dark Souls has no story, when I've literally thought more about its story than pretty much any other recent video game. Obviously, taste matters here, but I think people can miss why these games are so well loved for matters other than taste, even if it still wouldn't be their cup of tea.

Sure, you can respect and like pretty much everything. My issue is when you tell people you think they SHOULD respect something, simply because you do - or you feel it should be respected. That's what I consider an unreasonable position, because it assumes you're objectively correct about it.

I'm not big on such things, but as I said - I do respect the Souls games for what they are, even if I'm much less impressed with them.

I see very little in the way of innovation, but then again - I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the Japanese school of design - which is generally found on consoles.

I have absolutely no idea what people like about the approach to story, but again - I won't try to claim it's bad or that it doesn't work. Clearly, it does work.

A lot of people love David Lynch stories, for instance - but I think they're crappy prententious bullshit. It's all down to what you like. I'm not going to tell people they shouldn't like his stories, though - as they're clearly working for them. That's great - and it's fully possible that I'm just not "getting it".

In that same way, I'm fully ready to accept that I'm not "getting" the Souls games - but it will take more than people insisting it's great and that it has so much depth, because I'm not seeing any concrete examples of depth. Opaque references are not impressive to me - and even if the whole story ties together - it's trivial to make a story tie together if you're not going to do the work of detailed exposition or a meaty presentation.

That's one of the reasons I respect and admire the work of Tolkien so much. Nothing about his work is vague - and he did all the work, never faltering or losing sight of exactly what he wanted to achieve. To my mind, that's impressive in a very big way.

I consider the NPC dialogue in Dark Souls to be vague and completely unable to get my attention. I think it's style over substance in a very big way.

But it worked for you, obviously. Somehow, you can get a thorough and impressive story out of a few lines of semi-coherent references spouted from a few NPCs standing or sitting around. Even the "grandiose" introduction sequence makes little sense - and is 100% typical Japanese-style over-the-top mythology stuff, much like Final Fantasy and the like. You love that, and that's great.

I can't.

One other comment: Dark Souls, in addition to better story elements and character narratives, is just plain larger and more ambitious. For example, Dark Souls has about 78 total weapons. Dark Souls has around 120. Dark Souls 2 has over 200, depending on how you count certain things.

Yes, I don't doubt that. But the formula is nearly identical. This is very different from games like TES - where they evolve the gameplay arsenal in major ways with each iteration. They don't just add items and "more stuff".

Again, Demon's Souls was a great game - and if they'd made Dark Souls significantly different - I'd have been more impressed.

And, in Dark Souls 2 PvP, you realize just how many different tools and approaches there are. Katana with buffs was popular. So was batstaff + poison cloud (which quickly poisons enemies, leading to urgency and bad decisions). And Avelyns - sort of automatic crossbows. Lots of people dual-wielded Avelyns as a backup, until they were nerfed. There were viable builds with giant hammers, dual wielded rapiers, full on mage builds, 2 handed longswords, etc. And they all played differently. Some were trickier. Some were a bit more based on kiting. Some were faster. Some were slower. There were viable builds built entirely around parrying, or even punching. And the timing and approach needed are all different.

Well, I don't know how many kinds of PvP you've played - but I've played a lot. For instance, the PvP in WoW is fantastic and extremely in-depth, and yet we have thousands of people claíming it's simplistic and "button-mashing".

You know? What can I say.

If you fall for one game, you're likely to invest and discover all its secrets.

I don't doubt Dark Souls has deep and wonderful PvP. Problem is that I don't care to find out, as I don't like the game enough.

When I compare that to, say, Diablo 3, I can't help bug shrug at the latter. And I liked Diablo 3 fine. I actually replayed it after Dark Souls 2 and found that the newest version (with expansion) was much better than the initial release. However.. it felt so easy (only two deaths on a high difficulty over the entire game…) and unambitious. New weapons tended to change your numbers more than your playstyle, unless there was some bonus to a skill that I was considering switching to. There really is no contest there.

Have you defeated Diablo 3 on Torment 6? I don't think you have - and let me know how easy you think it is :)

Anyway, Diablo 3 itemization was extremely underwhelming upon release. They've made it better - but it's still not that great.

For itemization, I'd suggest looking into games like Hellgate London or - for weapons only - Borderlands 2.

But what Diablo 3 has in spades that Dark Souls can't hold a candle to - is the sheer amount of skills and toys. That's the best part of D3.

As for Dark Souls vs. Demon's Souls, here's what I'll say: I loved Demon's Souls. But I spent 35-40 hours on it. I didn't really realize there was much of a story besides the NPC dialogue. I barely played with multiplayer. It was fun, but I didn't consider it life changing. I bounced off of Dark Souls initially for a variety of reasons. However, once I fell into it, I fell deeply in love with the whole series. Dark Souls is very similar to Demon's Souls, yes. That's definitely true. But it's larger, more ambitious, and feels.. more like RPG.

Well, I didn't have that experience - and I'm still struggling to see the big difference when I sit down to play Dark Souls. I've played maybe 15-20 hours of it, and I've yet to see anything that made me think it's not exactly like Demon's Souls. That said, I've yet to progress far - and most of my time has been trying to get back into it from the beginning. I've progressed maybe 6-7 hours into the game. Still, a game shouldn't hide its qualities after that amount of time, unless it's an MMO or something.

I guess the changes come much later or are more subtle than I'd expect.

Like, there's this point at which the game opens up to you a bit, and it's just so.. liberating. And you realize you can do anything. Which level do I want to do next? Should I do some PvP in the Forest? Earn some Souls in the Painted World? Make progress on the main quest? Do the Artorias DLC? Follow through on some of the NPC stories? I spent over twice as much time with it as Demon's Souls (and three times as much time on DS2 as Demon's Souls) because there was just so much more to experience and do.

Well, I didn't feel like I could do anything at all. Not even remotely. I could pick one of the handful of paths - and then I'd be forced to grind mobs until I learned their patterns, and I'd pray I didn't die so I'd have to grind my way back again.

When I want to feel free to do anything, I play Skyrim or something like it.

Dark Souls is, to me, nothing but a combat simulator and pretty much a large dungeon crawler.

Demon's Souls made me a fan. Dark Souls made me a believer. But, yes, it's definitely a matter of taste. I'm just sharing my experience. YMMV.

Demon's Souls is the reason I bought a PS3. I started out loving it - and I admired its fair gameplay. But the more I played, the more I came to learn that it's pretty much a one-trick pony. So, I stopped playing after ~30-40 hours or so.

I'm sorry, these games just aren't my thing.

Last edited:
Also, just so we're clear, the tone above is meant to be "conversational" not "argumentative" or "combative." Sometimes tone doesn't come across very well on the internet, and people assume I am yelling at them or something, haha.

Not at all. I have no problem with people yelling at me, I just stop exchanging or I have a bit of fun. I could name a few people around here who like to get personal and aggressive immediately when people don't agree with them, and I find that amusingly weak.

But you seem quite level-headed and you seem capable of not taking it as personal insult when I disagree.

That's nice - and it's the reason I'm taking this seriously.

Sorry that I don't agree with you on Dark Souls, but I think I understand what you and other people like about it. I really don't think it's about me not "getting it" - I think it's about other people underestimating how well I know my own preferences - and they sometimes have a really hard time accepting that there's not some secret way to play these games that I'd have to spend dozens of hours to discover.

I can't rule it out, of course, but I really don't believe that's the case.

Yeah, I understand. Based on my own experience, I think Dark Souls opened my eyes in a way Demon's Souls never did, but that was very much my experience. Whether or not you're missing anything, it's still quite possibly just "not for you," and that's totally fair. Obviously.

I see very little in the way of innovation, but then again - I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the Japanese school of design - which is generally found on consoles.
I think the games have innovated, particularly on mixed multiplayer/singleplayer (which other games are definitely starting to borrow from), in addition to just their general approach to storytelling. When Demon's Souls came out, it's approach to multiplayer was its main talking point, though difficulty has become the main thing since. I'd also point out that the series is very much an aberration for Japanese-style development. The series is actually more Western-feeling in a lot of ways than Japanese, as it descends from King's Field, the predecessor you've heard about. King's Field is more like.. Dungeon Master or Ultima Underworld, but you can see the lineage. Japanese RPGs are historically very different.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed Skyrim and Diablo 3. Neither tickled me in the way the Souls games did, and I found both a bit easy and insubstantial. But I certainly didn't dislike either game. I probably spent a good 40 hours-ish on both. That may be a drop in the bucket to some people, but it's actually a fair amount for me. Bethesda and Blizzard are both developers that deserve more respect than they often get.

The only other thing I'll say is just regarding the story. In Dark Souls, the NPCs definitely have arcs. Like, you see Solaire point-by-point trying to accomplish his goal of finding his "own personal Sun." You might even help him accomplish that goal, depending on your approach. Or he might succumb to madness. You see Siegmeyer try to be a hero, as well as his daughter try to deal with his foolishness. You can help him accomplish his goal as well. Another character murders another NPC.. and you can invade him and punish him. Another character can murder another NPC.. unless you stop him. If your perspective is based on Demon's Souls and the first few hours of Dark Souls, you're underestimating the story a bit. A lot is told in the setting, in where items are and what their descriptions are, etc. etc., but Dark Souls easily outclasses Demon's Souls in the story department.
It's still nowhere near as straightforward or overt as a typical RPG, with a lot of it still being rather subtle and/or atmosphere. It's still very possible that the entire approach is just not what you want. However, there's a lot there if you look for it.

If you find yourself with a few minutes to kill, consider watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d82kJlb5Us&list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5RCXboUsPwHsZJlXB2CzCz - It's just a random lore video on Dark Souls (about Artorias, obviously, a sort of side character). I'm not trying to convince you to replay the game or anything. Just to show you how much is there and why people find these games fascinating. Nothing in the video is made-up or even controversial. It's all drawn from the game's own narrative, though it's pieced together. Vaati's style is a bit overwrought, but he has his strengths as well.

Vaati's style is a bit overwrought, but he has his strengths as well.

The word "Vati" is common language meaning "Father", but it is exclusively used within families never outside (or only by children), as far as I know. dict.leo.org translated the German "Kosewort" as a try to mclassify this kind of words exclusively used within a family as an an "word of endearment", and I think that this translation is right.

Thanks for the detailed answer, DArt. You seemed to have skipped some of the more important parts, but I guess my wall of text is a bit too much to stomach, sorry.

Strange how I also played a top DPS rogue in WoW for several years. :) I know fully well how much dedication you need to perform at elite levels in elite guilds, and I also learned up close and personal how bad it is to rely on a game to give you constant gratification. But for one, I don't think it's fair to compare Souls games to the largest MMO out there. The scale of dedication is different, but it's still a hellova lot more in Souls than in most comparable other games out there. It's more like, dedication as in, focus, necessary when in game, not dedication over thousands of hours. Secondly, I think the investment-reward is a very important aspect of Souls, but not the only important aspect, so I wouldn't say one can completely judge the game's merits based on that aspect.

I find it a little strange that you (and I) give a pass to the Gothic series for not

On a more important note, far be it from me to claim all I say is objective truth. Lot of it isn't, but some of it is. Like, if there are five apples in a basket, you can try saying things like "There's fewer than seven apples." or "But they are green." or "I would like more.", but there will still be five apples.

You wrote things like this in your previous posts (without listing all of them):

But where's the story? Where are all the toys? Why is it so cumbersome to join up with friends? Why is the itemization so limited in the name of perfect balance?

Dark Souls is about combat combat combat

a combat simulator with barebones story and sparsely detailed "grim" environments

you don't really feel like a Wizard just because you wield spells, as anyone can do it

And I provided factual information and correction on all your above assumptions (I know my post is lengthy, but the info is there). It's okay, because I know these games inside out, while you have admittedly spent significantly less time with them, so out of the two of us, I know the facts and figures better in this case.

Then I added my subjective opinion to these points and the little insight I have. That part can be dismissed as part of personal preference. Suffice to say, I'm not here to convince you of liking Dark Souls. We've had these conversations before, and I can see your position very clearly, plus I see how futile it is to convince anyone of anything over forum posts, much less you, who is known for adamant opinions. The amount of energy over the years from forum brothers here that went into providing insight and information as response to your admittedly semi-informed views on DS is staggering, and even though you say we were unable to provide evidence of depth you want to see, I think we can't do that any better. None of what we provide can convince you about DS, apparently. I think only playing the game extensively would, but I've no interest in persuading you to do so, nor do I think you should.

But when I wrote about your responsibility and misinformation, I meant that your posts - well-worded and in-depth, coming from a forum veteran - have been forming the views of a lot of forum brothers here. Hell, I know they have mine, from time to time. Convincing as you come accross, you seem informed about DS, but you're not, really. So I (and kilias2 here) merely offered some facts that come from informed players. Of course, you can't go around with a huge message in yellow letters saying WHAT I POST IS MY OPINION YOU KNOW, that'd be weird. :) I don't know what the solution is or even if we need one. It's just sometimes tricky to separate facts from subjective views in these posts, and I feel that more so with you. But that's waaaaaay too off topic, so…

Anyway, in everything else discussed, I can see your points and can respect your opinion. What's more, I share most of your gaming preferences! And in spite of all that, I really loved Souls for what it is.

Thanks for the detailed answer, DArt. You seemed to have skipped some of the more important parts, but I guess my wall of text is a bit too much to stomach, sorry.

Nah, but I had to answer in a detailed manner for two people ;)

Strange how I also played a top DPS rogue in WoW for several years. :) I know fully well how much dedication you need to perform at elite levels in elite guilds, and I also learned up close and personal how bad it is to rely on a game to give you constant gratification. But for one, I don't think it's fair to compare Souls games to the largest MMO out there. The scale of dedication is different, but it's still a hellova lot more in Souls than in most comparable other games out there. It's more like, dedication as in, focus, necessary when in game, not dedication over thousands of hours. Secondly, I think the investment-reward is a very important aspect of Souls, but not the only important aspect, so I wouldn't say one can completely judge the game's merits based on that aspect.

I don't know what it is about people and invalidating comparisons. It's as if you're saying two things are the same because you're comparing them, which is almost never the case.

The only reason I mentioned WoW was to make it clear that I know about investing myself - and to point out that it's not always such a rewarding process.

That's down to personal preferences, of course - and some people seem to find a challenge interesting enough all by itself.

I don't, however - and I find that I'm very concerned with what I get back from defeating a challenge.

In Dark Souls, I'm not seeing the reward I would be getting for investing myself - unfortunately.

In The Witcher 2, for instance, I felt rewarded by the story and characters - and I even liked the character system.

I find it a little strange that you (and I) give a pass to the Gothic series for not

Give it a pass? I feel rewarded in Gothic, so I don't consider it the same thing.

I love when a game rewards my investment - but it takes a lot more today for that to happen than it used to. Again, WoW probably changed me in a relatively big way.

On a more important note, far be it from me to claim all I say is objective truth. Lot of it isn't, but some of it is. Like, if there are five apples in a basket, you can try saying things like "There's fewer than seven apples." or "But they are green." or "I would like more.", but there will still be five apples.

I'd rather not get into objective truth. Suffice it to say that if you claim to speak it ever, you don't understand the concept or you're exceedingly arrogant.

I don't believe you're particularly arrogant and you're obviously not stupid. But objective truth is a theory that you can believe in or not - but if it exists, no one has been able to prove it in a way that made it clear to people.

And I provided factual information and correction on all your above assumptions (I know my post is lengthy, but the info is there). It's okay, because I know these games inside out, while you have admittedly spent significantly less time with them, so out of the two of us, I know the facts and figures better in this case.

No, you provided your perception based on what you consider to be facts.

I don't deny that you know more about the games than I do, but you don't know "enough" to change my own perception of what I consider to be facts.

Well, you've failed to convince me, anyway.

Maybe that's because I'm stubborn and I'm not listening. I don't know. I'm reading what you're saying, and while I can see some of it can be true FOR YOU - it's not true for me.

That's the nature of responding so differently to different things.

Then I added my subjective opinion to these points and the little insight I have. That part can be dismissed as part of personal preference. Suffice to say, I'm not here to convince you of liking Dark Souls. We've had these conversations before, and I can see your position very clearly, plus I see how futile it is to convince anyone of anything over forum posts, much less you, who is known for adamant opinions. The amount of energy over the years from forum brothers here that went into providing insight and information as response to your admittedly semi-informed views on DS is staggering, and even though you say we were unable to provide evidence of depth you want to see, I think we can't do that any better. None of what we provide can convince you about DS, apparently. I think only playing the game extensively would, but I've no interest in persuading you to do so, nor do I think you should.

You're right, I don't think anyone can convince me to like Dark Souls more than I already do.

I've always been the kind of guy who wanted to learn for myself, and from my own mistakes.

It's strange that I don't feel inspired to let other people tell me what I should or shouldn't like - but that's just what I'm like.

My parents struggled with that since I was a very young boy.

It's no secret that I regret not listening to more people about more things, but at least I can claim to have learned most lessons based on personal experience - and not based on what other people told me.

As for Dark Souls - all it takes is something that makes me curious to experience it.

I'm trying harder than you might think to put myself in your place - and substitute what I think I know about the game with what you're saying the game is like. I'm failing, obviously - but that doesn't mean I'll never give it another shot.

But I'm actually a pretty fair guy, and if I ever do manage to discover the wonders of this game - I will give credit where it's due.

But when I wrote about your responsibility and misinformation, I meant that your posts - well-worded and in-depth, coming from a forum veteran - have been forming the views of a lot of forum brothers here. Hell, I know they have mine, from time to time. Convincing as you come accross, you seem informed about DS, but you're not, really. So I (and kilias2 here) merely offered some facts that come from informed players. Of course, you can't go around with a huge message in yellow letters saying WHAT I POST IS MY OPINION YOU KNOW, that'd be weird. :) I don't know what the solution is or even if we need one. It's just sometimes tricky to separate facts from subjective views in these posts, and I feel that more so with you. But that's waaaaaay too off topic, so…

A lot of sweet talking with a sour message ;)

Hehe, well, I don't consider it my responsibility to make people understand English.

I've never claimed to be well informed about Dark Souls, I really haven't. I've claimed to know enough to form my own opinion about it - and that doesn't take much.

I believe I've been clear about the amount of hours I've spent playing it. Quite clear, actually.

If I'm to take responsibility for what people get from my words, then they better read all of them - and do their utmost to understand what I'm saying.

I don't go around feeling bad because other people can't think for themselves - that's not my concern.

The only game in the series I would like to claim I'm informed about is Demon's Souls - as I spent 30-40 hours in a row with it.

The reason I'm reasonably confident about my opinion of Dark Souls is not based on having detailed information of the nuances in content, but in how it's SUPREMELY obvious that the formula is nearly identical.

Content is not the thing, really.

I do NOT like the opaque references - and I don't care if it all ties together brilliantly. I do NOT like stories about Gods, Demons, Endless dead people, planets colliding or whatever. Diablo stories, for instance, is not something I can take seriously.

I can't take superhero stories seriously, either. It can be good fun and I can crack a smile - but it's all pretty ridiculous to me.

I can take Tolkien seriously, because he made it all seem so real - and that takes a LOT of work.

I know Demon's Souls has a Western flavor - but the style of storytelling is 100% Japanese. They have this obsession with huge over-the-top themes and it's just not for me, as I can't relate to it.

A lot of people seem to find it interesting - and I know JRPGs are very popular among certain Western gamers - but I despise them.

Anyway, in everything else discussed, I can see your points and can respect your opinion. What's more, I share most of your gaming preferences! And in spite of all that, I really loved Souls for what it is.

Yes, and I've loved a ton of games that seem to get no love at all around here.

I've seen people spout endless misinformation about so many of my favorite games, and maybe I'm right and they're wrong - but they have a right to their opinions, and I don't really know what they want from such games.

They might not even know it themselves.

I've come to understand that almost everything depends on point of view - and it's very dangerous to assume that what you consider to be a fact, must be such to other people. There's so much leading up to even a single fact sometimes - and there are so many assumptions when most people claim to know something for a fact.

Would it surprise you if I told you I loathed JRPGs? I could never stand them, and in general, I'm quite antagonistic towards oriental culture being paragonized. I could never get into Japanese-designed games, that is, until I started playig Souls (and I can't be bothered with playing any other Japanese games). At first I saw some vids about a speedrun and I liked the atmosphere. Then I saw one of the famous lore videos, and soon after I was consuming the lore vids on the game. It may sound strange, but that's how many people start out with Souls. But I know it's difficult to accept for others, and mine may be a very special case, because I'm a writer, storyteller, and a myth enthusiast, so it got the perfect combo to pull me in. But then I enjoyed the gameplay, too.

I understand what you may not like about the lore and story of DS (what you call typically Japanese storytelling), and it's part of it, no mistake, but I think ultimately it's not what you take away from it, it's more personal. Because they intentionally make you put it together for yourself and define who and what you are in it, it becomes more personal. Well, for tons of people, anyway.

And you're right, the day may come when you find something about Souls that draws you in, and discover your own story and own passion in them, or maybe it'll never happen and you find the same passion in another game. All I know is that there's something that chimes very well with me in these games, and with a loooot of other people, too, many who are initially - like I was - antagonistic towards them.

Oh and, I did not want to come accross as arrogant, I'm just passionate about games, and more so with these games in particular. Also, with Souls, more than with any other games, I - and others - feel like we have to explain our passion and show it to others, share this passion with like-minded people. This is where all the advocation comes from. :)

I'm lost as to what connection there would be between JRPGs and Dark Souls. From Software has never made a JRPG or even anything with a Japanese feel to it. That's why I never assume anything about a developer based on where they're from.

Would it surprise you if I told you I loathed JRPGs? I could never stand them, and in general, I'm quite antagonistic towards oriental culture being paragonized. I could never get into Japanese-designed games, that is, until I started playig Souls (and I can't be bothered with playing any other Japanese games). At first I saw some vids about a speedrun and I liked the atmosphere. Then I saw one of the famous lore videos, and soon after I was consuming the lore vids on the game. It may sound strange, but that's how many people start out with Souls. But I know it's difficult to accept for others, and mine may be a very special case, because I'm a writer, storyteller, and a myth enthusiast, so it got the perfect combo to pull me in. But then I enjoyed the gameplay, too.

I understand what you may not like about the lore and story of DS (what you call typically Japanese storytelling), and it's part of it, no mistake, but I think ultimately it's not what you take away from it, it's more personal. Because they intentionally make you put it together for yourself and define who and what you are in it, it becomes more personal. Well, for tons of people, anyway.

And you're right, the day may come when you find something about Souls that draws you in, and discover your own story and own passion in them, or maybe it'll never happen and you find the same passion in another game. All I know is that there's something that chimes very well with me in these games, and with a loooot of other people, too, many who are initially - like I was - antagonistic towards them.

Oh and, I did not want to come accross as arrogant, I'm just passionate about games, and more so with these games in particular. Also, with Souls, more than with any other games, I - and others - feel like we have to explain our passion and show it to others, share this passion with like-minded people. This is where all the advocation comes from. :)

Yes, it's very obvious that you're passionate about the game, and I think that's great. I can be quite passionate myself, but I guess I've learned that my passion isn't particularly contagious.

Believe me, I've tried to infect other people all my life - and my experience, unfortunately, is that people either share my passion already, or there's a one in a thousand chance of making them "get it". Certainly if they've already formed an opinion about it.

As I said, Dark Souls has a western style about it - but the themes and the approach to storytelling is very Japanese, as in it's heavy on vague myths and extremes. Well, that's my experience with several console games I've played that had a similar story setup. I'm sure there are western examples of similar setups, though.

I don't know if it's a "cultural translation" issue or some kind of language thing, but I don't "get it" - I just don't.

I know several people in real life who love those themes - as in these grandiose and abstract concepts about life, death, gods, demons and so on.

Essentially, I find there are two kinds of people when it comes to fantasy, myths, or fables. The people who enjoy and even prefer to use their imagination - and the people who like things to be explained and be down-to-earth/relatable. I'm very much in the latter group, and I can easily accept that I'm not "right" about what I prefer.

It's like Alien versus Aliens - I suppose. While I love the atmosphere and visuals in Alien, I prefer Aliens - because Aliens makes it seem real and much less mythical. Sure, the psychological impact of Alien is greater - but it's essentially like telling a scary story in the dark. It's not that hard, if you have the darkness (visuals in Alien).

But Aliens did the work and tried to create a realistic scenario and what would happen if the military were to deal with this unknown factor. That was much more thrilling to me, and it must have taken a lot more brain to make a plausible script out of that scenario, which is why I respect and admire James Cameron so much for that movie. Pretty much every other monster movie in existence is ridiculously unbelievable - except perhaps The Thing.

I understand that some people enjoy suggestion and having their imagination do the work - and I do too sometimes - but I respect the other way a lot more.

That's why I love Tolkien, because he created the whole damn thing - and he explained the whole damn thing.

To me, being a writer-in-progress myself, I don't respect suggestion and vague delivery by themselves. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it - but it's just much less impressive to suggest something and let people work it out. Sure, you can be a master of it - and you can be a master of creating a setting and the imagery to inspire a whole lot of scary fantasies in other people, but it's still not quite my preference.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's kinda where I'm coming from with this.

Back
Top Bottom