InXile Entertainment - Wasteland 2 Interview @ RPG Codex

Good lord! Am I dreaming? How does this keep on getting better? That...is amazing news and I can't help but be more excited by the potential of this game with seemingly every little gleaning piece of information.

Watching Brian Fargo's Twitter following grow so quickly on the back of the initial crowd funding announcement has also been most interesting.

I read "top-down" less literally…
Considering the pedigree of the game, I think it's safe to read it literally. A moveable camera adds a lot of expense to graphics costs.

Never said NWN2 was top down, I was just trying to set a minimum graphics quality comparison for for anyone who thinks this might be 2d or impossible to create good looking 3d graphics as an indie.
I know a bit about 3d graphics. For an indie with a $million, in my opinion 3d with a moveable camera is just plain out of reach.

Just to pick an engine out of a hat, UDK, has all the latest bells and whistles and it's free to develop for the cost of 25% of the revenue later. UDK wouldn't be my first choice either but it's a well known example.

??? I will wager you $100 right now that they will not use UDK for the bargain basement price of 25% of future revenue. That is insane. Anyway, the issue isn't the cost of a 3d game engine. The issue is the cost of generating assets. Also keep in mind that Fargo will have people on payroll. That is a whole other world than having acquaintances volunteer their time in hope of a payoff down the road.

Not trying to knock you, but I don't think you have a realistic grasp of just how much shit costs.

I know a bit about 3d graphics. For an indie with a $million, in my opinion 3d with a moveable camera is just plain out of reach.

I've been involved in 2 indie games, both used 3D engines with a moveable camera, both looked better or on pair with NWN2 (which imo didnt have very remarkable graphics at all, rather mediocre, even for its time). One of the games used Ogre3D, the other Torque, both very cheap engines. The budget is FAR from $1 million, not even remotely close to that. With a millon, wow, i can't even begin to imagine how good those games could be, it's an absolutely insane amount of money for a indie developer.

Considering the pedigree of the game, I think it's safe to read it literally.

Bah, nonsense. I wouldn't even begin to project the severe graphic limitations of original to interpret Fargo meant literally "top-down".

The original wasn't even straight top down, it was a pseudo isometric angle, where you saw the East and South faces buildings/walls from about a 70 degree pitch. The characters/trees (even the mountains on the world map) were rendered face forward from the side like a paper doll and then placed on top of that pseudo isometric perspective. The ground itself, in all it's primitive graphics glory may have been the only thing that was actually rendered literally top-down but who can even tell?

A moveable camera adds a lot of expense to graphics costs. I know a bit about 3d graphics. For an indie with a $million, in my opinion 3d with a moveable camera is just plain out of reach.

Out of respect for the value I place on the civil discourse on these forums I'm going to take your word for it that you have a clue what you're talking about. Therefore....

We have to be envisioning something different completely different with the camera because I can't for the life of me figure out why you think that's adding so much cost. I'm envisioning a 360deg rotatable camera on the Y axis, with a pitch bounds from 60 to 90 deg and zoomable perhaps from somewhere between minimum Fallout 1/2 levels distance to twice as far out as that. Basically keeping the distance at a minimum level to reasonably plan for the level of detail on the models and textures. Moving the camera along the x/z planes is of course irrelevant, you have to do that anyway, whether it's tied to follow the player/party or edge pan-able in some fashion it already has to move on those axises.

Every 3d models is already at an arbitrary rotation, it's position and rotation in relation to the camera's position & rotation doesn't matter in the slightest. The camera being able to pitch, rotate and pan within acceptable bounds would add zero, zilch, nada to 3d graphics development cost.

??? I will wager you $100 right now that they will not use UDK for the bargain basement price of 25% of future revenue. That is insane. Anyway, the issue isn't the cost of a 3d game engine.

I had already agreed 100%, it's not the best engine for the project from a technical, development or cost/revenue perspective.

The issue is the cost of generating assets. Also keep in mind that Fargo will have people on payroll. That is a whole other world than having acquaintances volunteer their time in hope of a payoff down the road.
Not trying to knock you, but I don't think you have a realistic grasp of just how much shit costs.

:) That's funny.

Anyway, that's what the bulk of the million is for, the salaried employees. I don't think even with a million he could spend enough on Mt Dew and Doritos for to make the whole game by himself.

Back
Top Bottom