Witcher 3 Some Key Changes in patch 1.04

The Witcher 3

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor
This is very quick patching! These are interesting:

-Rebinding of all keys is now available after switching on the ‘Unlock Bindings’ option in the Options\Key Bindings submenu.

Yay! just unlocked this, but haven't checked it out yet. May switch back to keyboard from controller if this works out well.

-Texture rendering quality for the high and ultra presets has been improved.
-Further improvements made in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.

PC graphics quality definately better - they are really pulling out their finger on this.

-A few additional gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

Where? I can't see any when I go back there either on Elsa's brother or the new merchant in the tavern who won't speak to me. Not sure they've really got this fixed correctly yet. Maybe you only get the cards if you didn't already leave the prologue area and cause Elsa to disapear.

Missed key changes in patch 1.04, XP quest rewards are broken...Devs found the issue and we should get a quick fix very soon.

That also mean that you can forget about getting to level 70 (the cap).

Missed key changes in patch 1.04, XP quest rewards are broken…Devs found the issue and we should get a quick fix very soon.

So are you saying that when they do fix it, we will still lose out on any quest experience we should have gained in the mean time? You'd think they could maybe check the quest status flags in the save game and reallocate any lost experience. OTOH i can see why that might not be feasible (they may not date transactions).

I like quick patches, but they should be careful not to rush them out without testing.

Has it been broken the entire time, or just as a result of 1.04?

This is very quick patching! These are interesting:

-Rebinding of all keys is now available after switching on the ‘Unlock Bindings’ option in the Options\Key Bindings submenu.

Yay! just unlocked this, but haven't checked it out yet. May switch back to keyboard from controller if this works out well.
I'm unsure why are people playing this game on controller. Although, if shops and inventory look and function differently when using a controller, maybe it's okay. But if those looke the same, controller on inventory screen must be a torment.
Also, gwent. Is it just me or it's pain to construct decks and play it with a controller?

I suggest switching to k+m and check it up.
Didn't need and din't change any keybind. One thing though. Quicksave is on F5 and is not changeable ingame nor within .ini files. Not that I'd ever want to change it, but some people maybe want to put it on another key.
Quickload is not mapped on standard F8 or F9, seems it doesn't exist at all or is bugged.

-A few additional gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

Where? I can't see any when I go back there either on Elsa's brother or the new merchant in the tavern who won't speak to me. Not sure they've really got this fixed correctly yet. Maybe you only get the cards if you didn't already leave the prologue area and cause Elsa to disapear.
It's available only for those people who rushed through the prologue for whatever reason and didn't get those cards. Which would make the cardgathering quest impossible to finish for speedrunners who discovered that this game is not a set of repetitive crap and are now trying to backtrack everything they missed.
Missed key changes in patch 1.04, XP quest rewards are broken…Devs found the issue and we should get a quick fix very soon.

Do we really need to reach level 70 in order to finish the game?
Any actual details on the problem? Means, which quests to save for later? I didn't spot XP rewards problem on my side anywhere.

I'm unsure why are people playing this game on controller. Although, if shops and inventory look and function differently when using a controller, maybe it's okay. But if those looke the same, controller on inventory screen must be a torment.
Also, gwent. Is it just me or it's pain to construct decks and play it with a controller?

I suggest switching to k+m and check it up.
Didn't need and din't change any keybind. One thing though. Quicksave is on F5 and is not changeable ingame nor within .ini files. Not that I'd ever want to change it, but some people maybe want to put it on another key.
Quickload is not mapped on standard F8 or F9, seems it doesn't exist at all or is bugged.

I'm left handed and use completely different key mappings to right handers. Could probably have worked something out with autohotkey, but seemed simplest to try a controller. And it works OK, except for aiming the crossbow. You can still use keyboard shortcuts with a controller, which is great map, quicksave etc., although the game annoyingly displays a huge message in the left corner of the screen when you switch back & forth.

As to Gwent - the controller works really well - in fact its more convenient than m&k, since you can loll around in your chair like a couchpotato, whilst you nonchalantly take cards off of the denizens of Temeria.

The level 70 thing is in jest, the main quest brings you to level 35 and side quests are optional, so reaching level 70 require you to do everything in the game and it's not a requirement to finish it.

The bug seems to be tied to the main quests and might be related to the level of the quest vs Geralt's level (grey quest do not give XP by design, looks like some green quest are considered grey behind the hood).

Here is the official thread about it. No news about the fix giving you back the missing XP (but I doubt it, just hold off doing main quest stuff until it's fixed I guess).

Cmon, if I don't need level 70 to finish the game, there is no reason to stall with the main story. ;)

But:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...please-reply?p=1699950&viewfull=1#post1699950
After solving bloody baron, the problem appears in all main quests (even if the own level is the recommended one) if i solve side quests, there is no problem…
Seems safe to pursue anything up until you get done with BB, and I still didn't find his wife so I'm still okay. :D
Also a quicksweep through that thread… Seems it's noticed only on consoles? I can't find any report from PC.

But you already said, devs are working on it:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...please-reply?p=1709208&viewfull=1#post1709208
We have found the issue and started working on a fix. We're especially sorry about this bug!

Last edited:
I've read a bit about the XP thing. It seems to be in the existing version as well, and it explains quite a bit: I'm "only" level 22 despite doing quite a lot of the content. The leveling speed has been fine in Skellige, but certain parts of Velen was rather slow. I thought it was just intended to be that way, as I figured the cap was around 40, but 70? Impossible. Even 50 is unlikely at this rate, without grinding at least, as I have to be more than halfway. (unless there's another hidden map the size of Velen somewhere, which I highly doubt).

Don't think I am too bothered about it as with my slow playstyle I always overlevel most games anyway and become close to invulnerable. So… Its not a bug, its a feature!

Anyone playing with a controller? How is the camera sensitivity? I couldn't play W2 with a controller on my PC.

Anyone playing with a controller? How is the camera sensitivity? I couldn't play W2 with a controller on my PC.

I'm playing with a controller, right now - and there is a camera adjustment option. It works quite well, although it could be smoother. Also, unlike many other controller enabled games, such as DA:I they don't disable the keyboard, when are using the controller, so you can use the keyboard hotkeys for saving, Map etc. although they will need to disable the distracting detection notice that pops up when you do this.

I think they can do better with the hotkeys and UI in general and fortunately they seem to be taking feedback into consideration and are patching the game at a decent pace.

It's available only for those people who rushed through the prologue for whatever reason and didn't get those cards. Which would make the cardgathering quest impossible to finish for speedrunners who discovered that this game is not a set of repetitive crap and are now trying to backtrack everything they missed.

I'm not "speed running" - quite the opposite, and I managed to miss those cards. Lots going on in the game early on and Gwent wasn't as much a priority, and while I've obsessively bought every card I've seen and played every potential victim at least once for their card, I'd managed to miss those early cards, and those were some powerful cards for the northern deck (where most vendors seem to sell anything but). Glad I went back to check.

The level 70 thing is in jest, the main quest brings you to level 35 and side quests are optional, so reaching level 70 require you to do everything in the game and it's not a requirement to finish it.

The bug seems to be tied to the main quests and might be related to the level of the quest vs Geralt's level (grey quest do not give XP by design, looks like some green quest are considered grey behind the hood).

Here is the official thread about it. No news about the fix giving you back the missing XP (but I doubt it, just hold off doing main quest stuff until it's fixed I guess).

It appears to be overzealous XP reduction when you are overlevelled. Well, this seals it for me. No more lawnmowing. No more freefrom roleplaying. Do quests in the order of the lowest level first. That kind of ruins the freedom / open world aspect for me.

It appears to be overzealous XP reduction when you are overlevelled. Well, this seals it for me. No more lawnmowing. No more freefrom roleplaying. Do quests in the order of the lowest level first. That kind of ruins the freedom / open world aspect for me.

Aren't you ignoring that they're sorry about the bug and are working on a fix?

Why would I be ignoring that? I've already found out that by doing completist exploration you start to overlevel the main quest in just the first "island". I doubt a patch will fix that.

Now I am purposely putting off quests that are above my level. Hate that...

However, this is the conumdrum. Not level scaling can cause over/underlevelling. Seems it's hard to do properly while rewarding freeform exploration. But we already knew this, it's just more evidence for the theory.

It is a very sensitive thing. Once you do get seriously over levelled any challenge is sucked out of the game - so it is good they take that seriously (Bethesda and Bioware take note). IMOP over levelling is the most insidious pitfall for any open world game and for me completely destroys my interest in a game.

P.S. reckon your observation in the last para of trhe next post is spot on.

Sure, I'll go back in time and read what you didn't write and respond differently :)

Anyway, they're working on the XP bug.

I don't know that it's so hard, though. The Gothic games manage it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom