Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - is Capcom's fastest-selling PC game

Like what?

It's a party based combat ( by one aspect) that requires group coordination, but you don't have actual Tools for it...no advanced tactics setup or any kind of direct control.
Even the few input options that you do have ( Go! Come! Help!) , don't work right half the time...when ordered to fall back pawns will run back and forth or fail with support ( like with enchantments during combat).
Enemy AI is often simplistic with basic movement patterns, easily exploitable and poorly responds to a given situation...Sorcerer with it's 20 sec charge up spells would be unplayable otherwise.
They can also have insane HP and damage tresholds...Example: first time I ran up to Eliminator, bloody thing was completely unkillable. Twenty levels later: simply steamrolled through it, even with the most basic attacks. Not a matter of skill...only having stats/weapons strong enough to do enough damage.
In short: too much hp with too weak AI is an issue here and can lead to very tedious and repetitive combat at times.
Shoot an arrow to dragon's head, falls to the ground, target it's heart...repeat*100 times...half an hour later: dead.
Climbing can feel odd at times( like you're "glued" to it) and would work better if it was done in shorter time frame, but had more quick, devastating effects.
On the other hand, when using combination of periapts and something like blast arrows, you easily slaughter everything under a minute...the game is very unbalanced, in abilities and items.
Pawn AI also has a lot of issues, regardless of given orders.
Basic attacks are unimpressive ( mage, warrior, etc) , with poor hit sounds ( like in Dark Souls, weapons sound like they're made of wood...compare them with how it's done in Blade of Darkness) and hit reactions from enemies...sometimes literally walking out of your attacks or in the extreme stunlocking them to death.
Soft lock also feels inprecise at times, especially at sprinting/quickly stopping or when surrounded... like targetting a Lich above you, with zombies on the ground.
Restrictive skills use also cripples strategy and versatility...this can be an issue, because proper setup can make a world of difference and sometimes adds tedious back and forth.
Like in Skyrim, potions/items are immediately effective while the game freezes, removing any strategic aspect of it. At higher levels when you're swimming in $, it can break game balance even further.
In base game, also enemy encounters can be very repetitive( wolves, goblins, bandits, harpies...90% of the time, with higher level variations, but little difference otherwise). Sometimes they also re spawn right next to you, even during combat.

Combat/Progression also has plenty of positives: some of the best abilities design I've seen in ARPG, pawns and their "learning" process, flexible and interesting builds, variety of armors/weapons( even rusty weapons can be very useful), excellent archery, interactive skills, stronger strategic aspect you don't see often in these types of games.

But there is a LOT of room for improvement here.

Really looking forward to explore Bitterblack. Just too damn busy with work!

Bitterblack is the best end-game dungeon I've ever played. Visually it is astounding, very Dark Souls-esque. Combat-wise you get the most delicious combinations of enemies! It's a huge challenge, but that makes the eventual victory so much sweeter! (And Diablo-style loot meaning tons of replayability!)

But remember, never play it without LOTS of Wakestones on you. SERIOUSLY.

[In Office Space boss voice] Um, I'm going to need you to format your thoughts into paragraphs with line breaks. Also maybe even consider a bullet point list rather than a mess of text.

But seriously, I'm surprised by how many flaws people are overlooking, in particular when it comes to gameplay.
Who said I'm overlooking anything? You assume I didn't notice all the problems. I noticed. However, the game's remarkably unique features easily overshadow (not overlook) the game's weaknesses. That's how so many of us are in love with it. But out of respect to your thoughts, I shall respond below.

It's a party based combat ( by one aspect) that requires group coordination, but you don't have actual Tools for it…no advanced tactics setup or any kind of direct control.
True! More controls and better pawn AI would be very welcome. It would be great if you could tell your pawn to target a specific enemy with a certain attack. So point taken, but after 350 hours with the game, there's very few times your pawn AI causes horrible death and disaster (Maneaters come to mind).

Enemy AI is often simplistic with basic movement patterns
It's no less complex than Dark Souls. It's actually more complex since many enemies have very specific weaknesses to elements and the climbing aspect. Are you seriously saying Dogma has basic combat? No other action RPG comes close to the diversity of options, IMO. Feel free to respond with actual games you think do this better.

They can also have insane HP and damage tresholds…Example: first time I ran up to Eliminator, bloody thing was completely unkillable. …only having stats/weapons strong enough to do enough damage.
That's called progression. Pretty much every single RPG has this…you're weak at first…then you fight more and get stronger…also, I know you're very wrong about your example because an Eliminator can still VERY easily kill a max level party on Normal, and certainly on Hard. FACT.

Shoot an arrow to dragon's head, …half an hour later: dead.
If it takes you thirty minutes to kill one dragon, then you're way too weak. It ain't my fault if you don't have the presence of mind to go fight elsewhere instead of wasting 30 minutes on a dragon. I'm sorry, but you need to think for yourself…don't blame the game if don't pick your battles wisely. Am I expecting too much?

Climbing can feel odd at times( like you're "glued" to it) and would work better if it was done in shorter time frame, but had more quick, devastating effects.

I totally agree climbing needs major improvement. If the game allowed a fully unlocked camera while climbing and maybe even a slow-motion option as you reach the "weak spot"…that would really improve things. So yeah, excellent point that climbing has much room for improvement. But remember, it's blazing a new trail that almost no other game has trodden, so its hard to complain when no other game does it better.

On the other hand, when using combination of periapts and something like blast arrows, you easily slaughter everything under a minute…the game is very unbalanced, in abilities and items.
Using items wisely is part of the learning process. Being rewarded for clever item usage and management is good design. Very few players know about those items until late in the game…and again, it ain't my fault if someone looks online like a noob to find all the best strategies. So many cheat and read online then whine things are too easy…sigh…

with poor hit sounds like in Dark Souls
Did you just say both Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls have poor combat sounds? NO. JUST NO. I love, LOVE the visceral attack sounds in Dogma and Souls. I fear you are in an improper psychological state where you are calling a personal acoustical preference a game flaw.

But there is a LOT of room for improvement here.
Obvious statement is obvious. Welcome to the human race. We are all imperfect and have a LOT of room for improvement. What game couldn't benefit from better AI, more content, and more refined camera controls?

But when the base game is so expansive, so creative, and so unique, all the issues are easily worth enduring for the genuinely amazing overall experience.

I mean you played it enough to reach the end-game dungeon…so obviously something kept you playing. And don't you dare tell me you went to Bitterblack early on, got stomped, and then quit!

I wouldn't want more pawn control. I like that they act on their own. Better AI would be better, sure. The selling point to me is having smart companions rather than semi-PCs.

[Bitterblack is the best end-game dungeon I've ever played. Visually it is astounding, very Dark Souls-esque. Combat-wise you get the most delicious combinations of enemies! It's a huge challenge, but that makes the eventual victory so much sweeter! (And Diablo-style loot meaning tons of replayability!]

It definitely is a good dungeon, with more unique enemies than main game and better encounter design and atmosphere. Only issue I've found is how some levels are too familiar.

[It's no less complex than Dark Souls. It's actually more complex since many enemies have very specific weaknesses to elements and the climbing aspect. Are you seriously saying Dogma has basic combat? No other action RPG comes close to the diversity of options, IMO. Feel free to respond with actual games you think do this better.]

Basic movement patterns and little coordination, absolutely yes…compare it with recently Witcher boars/arachni/ghouls, etc. In comparison with games with an emphasis on group combat, enemies are quite easily outmaneuvered, in particular if you're using skills like cutting wind.

[That's called progression. Pretty much every single RPG has this…you're weak at first…then you fight more and get stronger…also, I know you're very wrong about your example because an Eliminator can still VERY easily kill a max level party on Normal, and certainly on Hard. FACT. ]

It can kill you easily, but it is also easily avoided, from my experience. Combat here would work better with a more aggressive and responsive AI, while toning down HP's and resistances. This can be seen as more "rpg aspect" of game play, but in some cases I think they overdid it and can work against immersion/realism, especially how strong visual design of some of the abilities are.
Once you discover a method for defeating a particular type of enemy, it often comes down to repeating it, again and again, far too many times. Games like Souls series do similar, but AI does a better job of keeping "pressure" on the player and the process is far less repetitive.

[Did you just say both Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls have poor combat sounds? NO. JUST NO. I love, LOVE the visceral attack sounds in Dogma and Souls. I fear you are in an improper psychological state where you are calling a personal acoustical preference a game flaw. ]

I disagree…different weapon striking different type of material, cutting through armor or flesh, produce a very specific sound that some games did a very good job of emulating.
Blade of Severance was amazing at first, Witcher at second…DS and DD are far more LOUD than authentic.

Listen to this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ijKm3Ivpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqsKR9ib7g

[But when the base game is so expansive, so creative, and so unique, all the issues are easily worth enduring for the genuinely amazing overall experience
I mean you played it enough to reach the end-game dungeon…so obviously something kept you playing. And don't you dare tell me you went to Bitterblack early on, got stomped, and then quit!]

Eh, relax Brumbek, I like the game…it has better combat than 70% action (rpgs) games…but some constructive criticism from it's fanbase would work better for Capcom's ears .

One thing I forgot to mention is how they made player attributes ( height, weight, etc) have effect on game play…this would be a great thing for all Arpg's to take a step further.

Unless they significantly refined the game, I would not by a DD2. I'm tired of the game now - I've reached level 38 or so and heading off north for main quest (100 mile trek!) … there's too much repetitive combat and spawning… and pawn AI is really miserable at times (who ever thought that go! come! Help me!…) would be enough for resonable pawn interaction? They should have a command "commit suicide!" - wouldn't have to change anything to implement it :p In summary it was fun for about 30 hours, now it's a chore. And some of the design decisions - like swapping skills out at an inn - are simply mind-bogglingly poor. I get that limiting your skills adds a 'strategic element', but forcing you to travel 100 miles back to town to reset them - is simply not fun. In other games that attempt this, I could choose different skills outside of combat - so I could prepare for an upcoming combat. Sure, if you have a port stone you can portal back to town, swap in, and then jump back. But you may not…and the combat wil have to wait (along with your urgent quest) as you walk back to gran soren, swap out and then walk back. And for me, the absolutely worst element - why I abandoned dark souls - is complete respawning of everything every N hours. Absolutely destroys immersion and makes the game a dreary grind.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want more pawn control. I like that they act on their own. Better AI would be better, sure. The selling point to me is having smart companions rather than semi-PCs.

I disgree on this - you can't even ask them to "stay back", which is bizarre since they are they *exist* to serve you? Many time I woudl have to run away and frantically press "come!" to try and drag them away from some stupidly hard encounter. I have no issue with them not being entirely under your control but the level of control offered at the moment is just inadequate.

The way I see it is that DD is a solid, 7/10 game which is very enjoyable on a 1st play through when everything is fresh, but sorely lacking in depth and rpg aspects on return plays.

I'm well chuffed that the sales are going so well because a beefed up, deeper sequel could be an absolute classic. I just hope Capcom acknowledge they need to change a few things if we do see one.

[On Bitterblack Dungeon]Only issue I've found is how some levels are too familiar.
I can't deny that. Bitterblack repeats a number of locations but just changes the exits/doors/passageways. I'd wager it was done because of memory limitations on PS3/X360. But I agree with you it isn't ideal, so you win this one! ;)

In comparison with games with an emphasis on group combat, enemies are quite easily outmaneuvered, in particular if you're using skills like cutting wind.
We'll agree to disagree. I find Witcher 3 combat to be very imprecise, floaty, and wonky (bad hit detection). And I don't know…Eliminators have very good AI that very aggressively run you down and kill you. Of course Cutting Wind helps to avoid that, but that's the exact purpose of the skill…to quickly dash in and out. So to each their own about combat.

Once you discover a method for defeating a particular type of enemy, it often comes down to repeating it, again and again, far too many times.
I agree with you that once you find an effective strategy, you tend to keep doing it. I don't view that as a negative, though. Dogma sort of lets you be as boring and reptitive as you want to be. You can use one class the whole game. Or you can challenge yourself to find effective builds with every class. I purposefully force myself to run through Bitterblack with every class, forcing me to be creative rather than just Ninebolt-ing everything to oblivion.

But again, we'll agree to disagree. For me it never gets old, slaughtering four Eliminators, Dragons, Ogres, whatever! I love it all!

Those Blade of Darkness sounds are awesome! Thanks for linking it. So yeah, Dragon's Dogma goes with more beat-em-up arcade sounds akin to Capcom's earlier works.

I see your point about them not being authentic real-life sounds, but Dragon's Dogma isn't set in a realistic world like Witcher 3. So it is all preference. I still love Dogma/Souls deep, choppy, hacky sounds.

For listening pleasure, Bloodborne's delicious backstab (real-life backstabs do NOT sound like this, obligatory awesome Christopher Lee video with LOTR spoiler):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsKAFzL2V28

Eh, relax Brumbek, I like the game…it has better combat than 70% action (rpgs) games…but some constructive criticism from it's fanbase would work better for Capcom's ears.
All dissenting views must be squashed!! Oh, I mean, it's cool…relaxing is good advice. And I appreciate your feedback…although it's doubtful Capcom will ever hear it. But at least you and I have some great ideas for the sequel! ;)

Unless they significantly refined the game, I would not by a DD2. I'm tired of the game now - I've reached level 38 or so and heading off north for main quest (100 mile trek!) … there's too much repetitive combat and spawning… and pawn AI is really miserable at times (who ever thought that go! come! Help me!…) would be enough for resonable pawn interaction? They should have a command "commit suicide!" - wouldn't have to change anything to implement it :p In summary it was fun for about 30 hours, now it's a chore. And some of the design decisions - like swapping skills out at an inn - are simply mind-bogglingly poor. I get that limiting your skills adds a 'strategic element', but forcing you to travel 100 miles back to town to reset them - is simply not fun. In other games that attempt this, I could choose different skills outside of combat - so I could prepare for an upcoming combat. Sure, if you have a port stone you can portal back to town, swap in, and then jump back. But you may not…and the combat wil have to wait (along with your urgent quest) as you walk back to gran soren, swap out and then walk back. And for me, the absolutely worst element - why I abandoned dark souls - is complete respawning of everything every N hours. Absolutely destroys immersion and makes the game a dreary grind.

There's never a requirement to walk back. Just use the eternal ferrystone. If you're having so much trouble with your pawns, equip and train yours better, and hire ones that have been outfitted well and have the right inclinations, skills, and knowledge. Pawns are ridiculously effective if used right. They can take down the hardest boss in the game without your help if you pick the right team.

I disgree on this - you can't even ask them to "stay back", which is bizarre since they are they *exist* to serve you? Many time I woudl have to run away and frantically press "come!" to try and drag them away from some stupidly hard encounter. I have no issue with them not being entirely under your control but the level of control offered at the moment is just inadequate.

You don't even have to do that. Just run away yourself. They'll port to you if you get too far ahead. It doesn't even matter. Your pawn goes down, all you do is touch a rift stone to bring them back. Hired pawns aren't much harder to get back. Even in Bitterblack where you're likely to lose pawns every so often, it's a trivial setback. Overall you make the game sound way more difficult and tedious than it should be even for a beginner. It sounds like you just weren't paying attention to the tutorial type prompts and didn't bother to look over your storage. I don't know how many times it's even been mentioned in comments here that you get unlimited fast travel in this version of the game.

Back
Top Bottom