XCOM 2 - Fire Emblem Style Relationships

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer highlights a new mod doing the rounds for XCOM 2 that adds relationship buffs for your soldiers. The mod is titled RealityMachina's Squad Cohesion.

According to the mod's blurb, "leveraging a 'squadmate score' system left in by Firaxis" allows Squad Cohesion to "give small buffs for squads that trust in each other." In practice, this grants buffs (and debuffs) to squad members who forge strong fighting relationships by way of cohesion points. For example, saving vulnerable comrades from seemingly inevitable death, healing them, or dragging their unconscious asses to extraction points, enables soldiers to accumulate points and thus makes those particular partnerships stronger.

But before you get all mushy on me, let's take a moment to consider the pain felt in the aftermath of mismanaged tactics. You know, those operations that result in the death one of your best soldiers. Horrible, isn't it? Now imagine how your digital squad feels. You've forced these relationships upon them, and your tactical inadequacy has directly resulted in the death of their BFF.
More information.

BFF stuff? So… No orgies?
Peh.

The mod looks completely unnecessary from the mechanics or strategy point of view, and yet it seems awesome. Not only you can name the soldiers after your friends or people you know, but now they can grow a sort of love/hate relationship. Sounds great to me.

Regarding Phoenix Point, I look forward to it too, but that doesn't make the new X-COM games less relevant. After all, probably if the Firaxis X-COM weren't so successful Julian Gollop wouldn't have the chance to try something like it. Man, I saw that retrospective of X-COM a few days ago (a presentation by Gollop) and he's been trying to make a new and better X-COM since like 15 years ago, but was always fucked up by publishers.

That makes hard to believe to me as well that Phoenix Point will be anything but a spiritual successor to X-COM.

Back
Top Bottom