Dragon Age: Inquisition - Skyhold Information

aries100

SasqWatch
Game Informer has new info on Skyhold, the castle which will be our base and home
in DA: Inquisition.
They've talked to Mike Laidlaw and Cameron Lee about

how the unique functions the castle serves, and how Skyhold gives players a greater sense of the Inquisition's power and progress.
Apparantly our home isn't exactly up to code when we first set eyes on it:

"When you first reach Skyhold, it's not in good shape," Laidlaw says. "There are holes in the roofs, it's wrecked, you can't even go to the entire castle because they haven't cleared out the rubble yet."
However, you can choose the way the castle interior will look like:

This isn’t The Sims, where you fuss over every detail of your dream home. The layout of Skyhold is generally standard, but the Inquisitor makes decision regarding the décor and other elements of the renovation process. For example, if a tower needs to be rebuilt, you can decide if it is outfitted to accommodate mages or Templars, depending on your allegiance. Or, if your character is a Dalish elf, you can furnish the castle with Dalish woodcarving.
Here's a rather interesing quote about the resources you'll need to keep an eye on:

When it comes to expanding your Inquisition, you need to track three different resources. The first is influence, which is effectively like your Inquisition's XP, and it grows as you adventure and complete tasks. When the Inquisition reaches a new level, you can spend points on global upgrades like the ability to carry more potions or the chance to harvest extra crafting materials. The second resource is power. While influence constantly grows, power is more of a currency that you earn and spend down. Power is used to advance the main story, but also to unlock optional areas at the war table. The third resource is time. The Inquisitor doesn't handle every problem personally, so special missions called operations (also unlocked with power) allow you to send agents to finish them in real time. After a set amount of time passes (some operations can take a full day or more), the mission is complete and you get your reward.
Thanks to Fiery Phoenix at the Bioware DA:I forums.

More information.

I always liked when you have a place to call your own in RPGs, especially when they change to reflect your progress in the game. The one I enjoyed the most so far I think it was Crossroad Keep in NWN2, but there were several games that did this very well: M&M 7, Suikoden series, KOTOR 2, BG2, Morrowind: Bloodmoon.

The best safehouse imho has been the simple camp in DA:O. Of course it couldn't be upgraded, but the camp situation, which is quite common when a group is adventuring, has afaik never been presented like this before.

Sounds interesting since it seems it might provide a new gameplay layer besides the usual dialogue stuff.

The best safehouse imho has been the simple camp in DA:O.
I really liked that one too, though I have to say I rather liked DA2´s implementation as well. Actually, I think "safehouse" aspect is something BioWare has been pretty good at lately.
I loved how they did it in ME3.

Inb4 the thread quickly falls into obscurity since there´s no new romance info available.

How was that aspect in ME3 any different from ME 1&2? Did I miss something there?
I think you might have - most of the characters had something new to say after every non-N7 mission (except for Cortez who did have comments on these), including an occasional chat with someone else using a com link, and most of them also moved around the ship from time to time and had a chat with another character in person. Sometimes they had more than one comment available, particularly Garrus and Javik.
Plus, I think that gating the cinematic dialogue stuff via specific missions was a good decision since it made this content better spread out.
I also liked that they´ve added temporary characters during two of the game´s story arcs.

That's hardly different from the way it was done in ME 1&2. The characters might have moved around a little more, and the random conversations between crew members were nice enough, but it was still basically done the same way as the previous two games... as well as every Bioware game since 2003. ;)

I have to say I didn't feel ME3 did this better than ME or ME2, either. Well, it might have - but it can't have been by much.

But I'd agree they're all good games for that hub experience - though I don't think it's the best example in the genre.

I think that the use of the spaceship as a base of operations was first done with the Ebon Hawk in KOTOR 2. Nonetheless, I have very fond memories of the Normandy.

This isn’t The Sims, where you fuss over every detail of your dream home.
One more reason for me not to preorder.

Bethseda lawsuit in 3… 2… 1…
Yup. I hated Bethesda's Simwannabe DLC, seems Bioware liked it more that it's parent company games.

One can always wish for more customization, but I'm happy they've included a player base of sorts at all. I love the idea and I confess I wasn't expecting it...

Back
Top Bottom