Arkane Studios - Profile Interview @ Gamasutra

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It would be fair to argue Arkane is of limited relevance to us these days but as one of the four studios working on Bioshock 2 and with the vague possibility they may be working on a new game of interest, here's a profile interview with founder Raphael Colantonio. Here's an encouraging snip on their next game:
"Wait for next announcements," says Colantonio. "It's gonna be exactly what we want to do. Not a compromised, marketed game. We've been lucky to find a publisher that supports us and understands this kind of game and is supportive of them. The people who like the kind of games that we like are going to be really excited.

"There are companies that do first person shooters," he continues. "There are companies that do sports games. We do first person immersive games with depth. That's what we do.
More information.

Well, i don't want to get my hopes up. I've been too disappointed with Arkane in the past. So, we'll see.

Heh. Per TESS

Word Mark ARX FATALIS
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for use in [ educational and] entertainment interactive computer and video games; computer game software and instruction manuals sold as a unit therewith; [ video game cartridges;] video game discs [ and video game accessories, namely, joysticks and joypads ]
Change In Registration CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED
Registration Number 2751975
Registration Date August 19, 2003
Owner (REGISTRANT) ARKANE STUDIOS CORPORATION FRANCE 20 boulevard Eugene Deruelle LYON FRANCE 69003
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

According to second-hand reports, their fantasy RPG is not Arx 2. What it is is still a closely kept secret.

Maybe it isn't Arx Fatalis 2 but it could be a spinoff. The first game is a dungeon crawler but maybe this game isn't and your character is what your character in the first game was supposed to be. I always thought it would be great to play as a character who travels the frozen surface.

PS. I never did get around to finishing the game since it stopped working when I was first playing it and I wasn't able to get it working until more recently.

Arx Fatalis was great, a very underrated/overlooked RPG imo. I would love to see a sequel. Not holding my breath though....

Perhaps I am the only fan here, but Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was also a really good game, once patched.

I played on the 360 and didn't like DM much. I was hoping for a better game, based on Arx Fatalis, which, wonder of wonders, made its way to the original Xbox, and which I enjoyed very much (except for the end, where it felt repetitive). But DM just didn't do it for me.

According to second-hand reports, their fantasy RPG is not Arx 2. What it is is still a closely kept secret.
Yeah, I presume the registration change was GOG/ new digital distro version related* rather than necessarily meaning another Arx game- the correspondence record (IANAL) seems to suggest the process was started at the right time for that. But, well, Arx would certainly fit with "deep and immersive", haha.

*[edit: or alternatively, related to an expiry of rights on the part of original publisher which allowed the digital release]

Back
Top Bottom