I want a new monitor

@Nyx - you mean the refresh rate? I have it set to 75Hz right now.

@sakichop - thats good point actually. I might just do that!

No, on the screen buttons go Picture then Game Adjust and you can set response time.
And how did you manage to set it to 75Hz? I can't figure that one out :/ Even bought a DP cable just to be able to do that.

No, on the screen buttons go Picture then Game Adjust and you can set response time.
And how did you manage to set it to 75Hz? I can't figure that one out :/ Even bought a DP cable just to be able to do that.

Setting is Windows controlled. CONTROL PANEL > SCREEN RESOLUTION > ADVANCED SETTINGS > MONITOR

I installed the software that came with monitor (you can get it from LG site too) and then enabled Freesync on it. It basically give you all the OSD option via software. Then I went to nvidia control panel and 75Hz showed up and I selected that as well.

I installed the software that came with monitor (you can get it from LG site too) and then enabled Freesync on it. It basically give you all the OSD option via software. Then I went to nvidia control panel and 75Hz showed up and I selected that as well.

Oh thanks! I didn't even think about enabling freesync since I don't have AMD xD

Interesting. I'll have to note that. I didn't know Freesync had a use outside of AMD GPUs. I just did a proposal for my boss at work. We will be bringing in a bunch of those monitors in to work (after demoing a couple) to replace dual monitor setups here, so, nice to know all this before they come in.

Reviving this, instead of starting new thread.

Any recommendations? ( Spilled milk last night, now I have a big black hole on the lower side of the screen).

I've been using 1080 ( Philips, probably some cheap model) , but thinking of switching to 1440. How big is the difference? Is it sort of thing with diminishing returns? 4k seems a bit too much ( and bloody expensive).

144 Hz is only really important for competitive MP, like shooters, right? I don't really need it then.

So! Any recommendations? Don't really need any fancy gizmos, just a good combination of price/quality?

Higher refresh rate is kind of "once you try it" deal. If you are fine with 60Hz now, and don't play competitive FPSs, I'd say you don't need one. As far as 1440p goes, I can't really tell you from personal experience, but people say it's a good middle ground between 1080p and 4K. I guess it also comes to "am I fine now?".

144 Hz is only really important for competitive MP, like shooters, right? …

Or if you want 3DVision stereoscopic view (120 Hz is minimum req.). Which is nice for games that support it (support it well, that is). I'm playing LOTRO using 3DVision and it certainly adds to my enjoyment of the game.

pibbur

Last edited:
I'm a big supporter of the ultrawide monitors. Having a 21:9 aspect ratio is like having 2 monitors with no bezel in the middle, while going to a higher resolution just gives you the same experience, (but with a higher DPI). Also, a 29" UW vs 2K or a 34" UW vs 4K still comes in as less pixels overall, which means hardware requirements are not quite as heavy. One downside is some titles need a little fiddling to get working with that aspect ratio.

1. Go for IPS panels, better colors and better viewing angles without color distortion
2. 4K is overkill (money wise and performance needed)
3. regarding 120 or 144Hz compared to 60Hz. I saw the same model in both versions (60 vs 144Hz) side to side and tested multiple games. It is possible to notice it. But not by a lot. If you got the money I'd go for it. But after I had this test, I'd certainly not spend additional money for GSync. That's bloody expensive and if you are actually running on lots of fps on 144Hz with vsync on, I bet you won't see a difference.
4. Regarding Ultra Wide. Preferences. Even newer games don't all support ultra wide. So expect lots of black borders, especially with older games.

If you play in a dark room or at night with low lights you want IPS without IPS glow. Obviously keep an eye out for OLED monitor if you are going to take your sweet time buying one.

1. Go for IPS panels, better colors and better viewing angles without color distortion
2. 4K is overkill (money wise and performance needed)
3. regarding 120 or 144Hz compared to 60Hz. I saw the same model in both versions (60 vs 144Hz) side to side and tested multiple games. It is possible to notice it. But not by a lot. If you got the money I'd go for it. But after I had this test, I'd certainly not spend additional money for GSync. That's bloody expensive and if you are actually running on lots of fps on 144Hz with vsync on, I bet you won't see a difference.
4. Regarding Ultra Wide. Preferences. Even newer games don't all support ultra wide. So expect lots of black borders, especially with older games.

1) IPS is kind of the standard go-to if you want a great picture, however there are some great VA panels that can be better in some cases. There's also some excellent premium quality TN panels. Best to see a monitor in person if you can.

2) Agreed.

3) G-sync has a strange position in the market:
- Higher end GPUs are cheaper to push 4K displays than their AMD counterparts, but you pay a massive premium for GSYNC displays.
- Freesync makes more sense for the lower end AMD cards because the Freesync monitors are also much cheaper (compared to an equivalent GSYNC), and run well with refresh rates lower than 80hz
That being said, some sort of adaptive refresh rate makes quite a difference. If you must go that route, it's either sell your kids and get nvidia/gsync so you can do 4K range gaming, or save your pennies and get an AMD/freesync monitor/gpu combo in the 2K or under range. If you already have a GPU that you don't plan to upgrade, buy the monitor that you plan to match the GPU with down the road when you're ready to upgrade.

4) I haven't had any game that I couldn't play ultrawide on (some needing a little TLC to adjust of course) except stupid Blizzard games because they think it's "an advantage". But regardless, you can still play at 1080p with no loss in quality. You just have some monitor not being used.

I got one of these a bit over 6 months ago and am perfectly happy

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/PB328Q/

I got a 27" 2K monitor at work and found everything was too small and I started getting eye strain. The 32" 2K seems to work well for me. These days I'm not an aficionado and haven't played any recent releases on it - I'm well behind the bleeding edge when it comes to game releases. But I did play Metro 2033 recently (edit and some ESO, Mad Max & Shadow of Mordor) and a bit of Skyrim, GRID, Dragon's Dogma, Fallout NV, D:OS and lots of other much less demanding games and it seems to do everything I ask of it, I have no complaints and the screen real estate is great. I've gone back to a pair of 24" 1080p monitors at work and the lack of vertical real estate is very noticeable when I'm in the office. I toyed with the idea of ultra-wide but again vertical pixels turned me off (and I've got an aging GPU).

Last edited:
The monitor I mentioned is QLED, which is yet another display technology. Samsung's answer to OLED, also used in some high end TVs, and good for HDR.

I'm extremely happy with my Z35 Predator:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-Widescreen-Curved-Monitor/dp/B014F9QHVC

It's definitely not a perfect monitor, but it compromises in all the right ways for my personal preferences.

It's 2560x1080 - which is not as high a resolution as many are looking for, these days, but I prefer performance by a wide margin. I've used 4K monitors and have a 4K TV - and I can honestly say the increased resolution isn't a big deal - for me - and I despise the performance degradation. Most definitely not worth it, from my point of view.

It's also 35 inches, meaning it's nice and big - which, to me, is a big part of immersion.

It's 144Hz G-Sync - which is perfect for the performance focus of the monitor, because you can actually reach the kind of frame rate that would make that worthwhile.

It does have some ghosting issues when using G-Sync, and it's a subjective thing whether it's a problem or not.

I was worried at first, because I'm pedantic and I would sometimes focus on it. However, these days, I can't even see it.

But there's also a ULMB mode, which is not as bright - but gets rid of the ghosting.

Overall, it's the best monitor I've ever owned - but it's not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom