Crysis: an impressions, anyone?

BTW, is there any way to disable the intro videos? I find it really obnoxious that the game makes me watch the same damn animated EA logo over and over again, without the option of Esc-ing through.

you can learn a lot through the eyes and mouths of others JDR.
what do the developers talk about-graphics and gameplay.
what do the "review" sites talk about-graphics and gameplay.
what do the "fans" talk about-graphics and gameplay.
using the block of wood atop my head i managed to come up with the notion that if "substance and story" were more than nominally present in the game, surely people would be blabbing about it. i'm not just basing it on the fact that none of you are mentioning it but, i see little to believe otherwise and gamespot slapping a 9.5 on a game the day of release screems stay the hell away from this in my book. edit: or if you prefer bandwagonbackscratchbullocks

using the block of wood atop my head i managed to come up with the notion that if "substance and story" were more than nominally present in the game, surely people would be blabbing about it. i'm not just basing it on the fact that none of you are mentioning it but,

Then try using that block of wood atop your head to realize that most of us aren't far enough into the game yet to tell much about the story. The game was just released within the past week after all. ;)

So far the story is quite good though imo.

The game is quite impressive, so jaded some of you.

If it's a bit low on the framerate side first thing I'd try would be all settings high and turn shadows to low (shadows are always a system hog).

BTW, is there any way to disable the intro videos? I find it really obnoxious that the game makes me watch the same damn animated EA logo over and over again, without the option of Esc-ing through.

Try your space bar for that.

Can't space-bar past the EA logo, nor past the "Crysis (c) 2007" one.

Thanks for the tip re shadows. I'm starting to get satisfactory performance out of it, by:

(1) Updating to the latest beta drivers.
(2) Installing the Windows hotfix that addresses virtual memory.
(3) Running it at 1280 x 1024 on my secondary monitor (it looks like crap on my main one)
(4) Running the DX9 version rather than the DX10 one
(5) Setting shadow quality to Low, everything else to High.

Yeah, perhaps I am jaded. However, I have been playing FPS's since Wolfenstein 3D, and despite the refinements (more destructible terrain, smarter squad AI) this is still very much more of the same. Even if I enjoy playing as the bad guys...

How many hours from start to finish on normal difficulty, include doing most of the sub-objectives given on each mission (if available)?

I've played a lot of fps' over the years inc Wolfenstein 3D; I loved the first Quake. Those are probably more my kind of fps' - old fashioned gameplay I still seem to enjoy more.

This is pretty well done though; more realistic, a simulator almost. It plays pretty well as well and there is real satisfaction from pulling of a long-range headshot with the aim wobble it has. It may not be the most exciting or imaginative game around but it's certainly good at what it does.

This is pretty well done though; more realistic, a simulator almost. It plays pretty well as well and there is real satisfaction from pulling of a long-range headshot with the aim wobble it has. It may not be the most exciting or imaginative game around but it's certainly good at what it does.

There's no disputing that, for sure.

I must say that i was dissapointed with Crysis. Although, i have been looking forward to it as one of the few FPS game i wanted to play.

I don't get a feel for it, and seeing gamespots hilarious review about awesomeness and really taking the genre forward (how?) i grow tired of the game.

I did one fault however. I did buy COD 4 as the guys at simhq.com was raving about it. And going from that FPS experience to Crysis was like playing far cry again. Nothing new.

If i hadn't played COD 4 before i would probably liked it better. :)

I am no FPS fan so my view shouldn't be considered when buying or liking this game.

Yeah, it's a little dull, like a super Counter Strike. Lots of people like that though. So how is COD4? Never played any of them.

I was disappointed that they changed the series away from a WWII setting in COD4. It was my favorite WWII series of games before that.

Gears of War is a lot of fun imho. Playing co-op with my lady atm- I'm dieing more than her.

COD 4 is intense. Its heavily scripted, no open solution. You go where you suppose, shot at the enemy and move on. But, COD4 is one of the few games i will replay. The single player experience is very rewarding. Like beeing in Ridley Scotts movie "Black Hawk Down..."

Being short on time, i am one of them who think shorter game is good. SP campagin can be played through within 5-7 hours... what i have read. Escpecially short FPS games help me not loose my interest.

The missions in COD4 is very impressive. The landfall (from sea) with a massive armada with helicopters, Its just "right". I have no clue how the multiplayer aspects are in cod 4, but i will soon find out. Hopefully on a private server. One mention against COD 4 multiplayer is "small" maps. Don't know if thats right.

COD4 is like a interactive movie. Good looking, intense action, and ju just want to see what happends next.

But, like i said. If scripted actions isn't your cup of tea move elsewhere. I realy really like the move to modern warfare!! :)

Oh - you asked if it was good.

Back to Crysis...which is more open in design and will probably let other people enjoy it better. Its not depended on scripting as heavily as COD4.

On my medioker machine (AMD X2 4000, 2GB ram, 7800GTX) COD4 is a beautiful looker. Crysis withits poppin texture is annoying. A better computer and the graphics in crysis is probably better...

;)

Yeah, it's a little dull, like a super Counter Strike. Lots of people like that though. So how is COD4? Never played any of them.

CoD4 is extremely intense - it is a very 'light M', but the action is non-stop and you feel like part of an actual squad in a very nice way. I like it quite a bit.

How many hours from start to finish on normal difficulty, include doing most of the sub-objectives given on each mission (if available)?

Around 8-12, depending on how much sightseeing you do.

As such, it's way too short for me to even consider getting (let alone spend hours tweaking my computer to run it - in fact, I believe a lot of people spend more time benchmarking it than actually playing it).

It's a good game.Very good,you could say,but to be honest if i compare far cry and crysis,Far cry wins.That of course doesn't mean i didn't enjoy crysis

Just finished the game, and indeed the second part (against the aliens) kind of taken slightly different direction in gameplay, especially the "Core" level. The last 4-5 chapters feel suddenly accelerating forward and shorter compare to earlier chapters. However these contributed to more packed action scenes or intense feeling, which quite blend in with near end plot as in any action story. I think overall Crytek succeeded on many levels and certainly see improvements against Farcry, albeit not considerable.

It's spectacular when come to graphics. On 22" 1680x1050 widescreen, with anti-aliasing off, shadow on and put half of the advance settings to "very high" while the rest at "high" level - the new nVidia G92 8800GTS 512MB managed about 10-30 fps. It's not as smooth as butter, and stuttering occured especially in heavy fight scenes with huge aliens and soldiers shooting, blasting, explosions went off, etc.

Meanwhile the Sound effects, dialouge, ambient and combat music is very good if not awesome - especially on X-fi plus the Logitech z5500. It almost like you're in movie theater and you could hear the realistic sound of heavy rocks falling from hundred feets above, the noise of exploded helicopter crashing down near you, or the floor rattling sound of big aliens walking by, splashing of water, sound of rocket fired off, bullet whizzling by, or aliens shooting you from behind - fantastic stuff!.

PS: I'm fine with the ending, as it's not ending anyway (the game is part of trilogy) but quite a lot people complaint about it. It make you feel want to kick more alien asses!.

Last edited:
Well, I'm probably out of sync with most people here but I found Crysis can best be compared to the movie Independence Day. The looks of it is spectacular, filled with special effects, big explosions and huge alien ships. However, strip away the flashy graphics and you're left with an empty shell of mediocrity.

Sure the suit gimmicks are fun for a couple of minutes but in practicality only the camouflage is actually usable due to the extremely low energy supply. Even in the middle of all the graphical splendor I found myself yawning hoping it would be over soon so I could uninstall it and move on to something interesting. The sad thing is that I'm usually very fond of shooters, but there simply wasn't anything in Crysis that caught my interest.

A least it was a Christmas present so I didn't waste my money on it.

Back
Top Bottom